Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Bill Simmons' mailbag brings up a good point about Lin and LeBron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
Lebron wouldn't have led the Knicks to 8-15 or whatever they were that Melo and Stat did.

Your right he wouldn't, he would wait until the stakes were higher to come up short.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmanyr2k
No way. Knick fans are thrilled just to make the playoffs these days And Melo is getting the treatment he does simply because the Knicks are losing. Seriously, what are the odds of the Knicks being a sub .500 team with Lebron there?

I never said the record would be the same I said the treatment from fans would. We simply don't live in a world where people are ok to gradually build things -- therefore the expectations that team would have had with Bron would have been tremendous.

So although they would perform significantly better with Bron than they have with Melo, would that really matter if they still underachieve at the end of the day? Give the Knicks team as constructed in July 2010 Amare + Bron and these boards and anywhere else where people talk basketball would have projected them to win the title.

So with that in mind, what do you think the response would have been to his collapse in the Finals as a Knick?

Last edited by 2LeTTeRS : 02-16-2012 at 02:46 PM.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM   #17
heyhey
stay mad golden state

heyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterheyhey is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Realass comments from bill Simmons
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
SleepyCorpse
Decent playground baller

SleepyCorpse has an OK reputation so far

absolute bulllshit, but Simmons knows how to work the casual fans. Look how Carmelo is hated on, it'd be twice as bad if it was Lebron.
SleepyCorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #19
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Lebron is hated partly because of the media, it is probable that the same media could make him look much more sympathetic. Think about it NY media would not give a rat's ass how treacherous his move was viewed if he had ditched the Cavs to play for the Knicks.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #20
Harison
The Awakening

Harison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this board

While OP quotes makes very good points, however its a two-way street. Insane fans and media in NY would crucify Lebron for his disappearance acts, literally.
Harison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #21
HurricaneKid
National High School Star

HurricaneKid has not been impressing people

That was NYK entire pitch. You will own the world if you win here. His brand would be golden; he would be worth 2B and in Miami he would top out at 600M.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

trying to get one more kick to LeBron's ego before he wins this year

god save us from LeBron's ego when it happens
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyCorpse
absolute bulllshit, but Simmons knows how to work the casual fans. Look how Carmelo is hated on, it'd be twice as bad if it was Lebron.

he's-only-hated-on-because-he's-not-leading-them-to-wins...if-he-was-he'd-be-worshipped.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
I.R.Beast

I.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong wayI.R.Beast is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
I think he'd be viewed more positively. The perception of Bron might be much better with the NY media defending him from haters
His rings if he gets them would have for weight than they would in Miami....How many people would actually be impressed by the fact that he won a ring with Wade and Bosh?....I mean with that type of team and LBJ being a premier and wade being a premier player isnt he supposed to be able to win with that type of talent?....
I.R.Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #25
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
That was NYK entire pitch. You will own the world if you win here. His brand would be golden; he would be worth 2B and in Miami he would top out at 600M.

I don't think people understand that from a players stand-point, a passionate fan-base is not necessarily a positive. Although they never want to be ignored, I think most would much rather live in a city filled with more casual fans with "who-cares" type attitudes towards sports than one that is calling for their head every day.

And honestly I don't blame them for that.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:37 PM   #26
che guevara

che guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this boardche guevara is popular on this board

Simmons is missing the bigger point, which is that there is no ****ing way Lebron could win a title in NY. Their management, roster and coaching has sucked for the last decade, why in the hell would anybody go there if their goal is to win as many championships as possible? Going to NY would have made no sense at all, and if he did, Simmons would be criticizing him for choosing New York over championships.
che guevara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I don't think people understand that from a players stand-point, a passionate fan-base is not necessarily a positive. Although they never want to be ignored, I think most would much rather live in a city filled with more casual fans with "who-cares" type attitudes towards sports than one that is calling for their head every day.

And honestly I don't blame them for that.
Unless an athlete sucks giant balls I dont think any of them want to have "who-cares" type fans.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:40 PM   #28
Nash
NBA rookie of the year

Nash is starting to rub some people the wrong wayNash is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Lebron stays with Cleveland: He just wants to be liked and only thinking about the bigger paycheck Cavs can offer.

Lebron picks Knicks: Lebron is only thinking about himself and his brand. He doesn't care about basketball, he only wants to have his brand in New York.

Lebron picks Miami: Well, we all know how people reacted. "Robin", "Can't win for himself", "Needs help" etc etc.

Basically, whatever Lebron would have done, he would have gotten crap for it.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #29
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunksby
Unless an athlete sucks giant balls I dont think any of them want to have "who-cares" type fans.

I'm an aspiring agent so I've spent a good amount of time around athletes, and if you truly believe this You'd be surprised to learn the truth. From what I gather most of them view fans as more an annoyance than anything.

While they recognize that fans pay their bills and most mean no harm, they really don't like dealing with the disrespectful comments that come from them, or how all the details of their private life are made available to the general public, or the amount of time/attention fans feel they deserve.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM   #30
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Teanett has decent reputation

that's what i will never get.
bron shyed away from possibly the biggest challenge of his sport, to go the easy way. if you cant beat them, join them.
msg knows basketball and respects and deeply admires exceptional talent even if it's the opponent's. imagine the most naturally gifted player ever calling it his home, 'we are witnesses' hanging over penn station.
he could have been a god walking the planet.
even if he only went to the finals once with the knicks it would be worth more than any titles he will win with the superfriend gayness.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: