Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #31
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Default Re: Bill Simmons' mailbag brings up a good point about Lin and LeBron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash
Lebron stays with Cleveland: He just wants to be liked and only thinking about the bigger paycheck Cavs can offer.

Lebron picks Knicks: Lebron is only thinking about himself and his brand. He doesn't care about basketball, he only wants to have his brand in New York.

Lebron picks Miami: Well, we all know how people reacted. "Robin", "Can't win for himself", "Needs help" etc etc.

Basically, whatever Lebron would have done, he would have gotten crap for it.

wrong.
a lot of people would have been fine with the first two options and also with him goig to chicago (tho the jordan-thing would irk me).
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #32
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I'm an aspiring agent so I've spent a good amount of time around athletes, and if you truly believe this You'd be surprised to learn the truth. From what I gather most of them view fans as more an annoyance than anything.

While they recognize that fans pay their bills and most mean no harm, they really don't like dealing with the disrespectful comments that come from them, or how all the details of their private life are made available to the general public, or the amount of time/attention fans feel they deserve.
It is because they have been blessed with caring fans, who cares fans dont buy jerseys nor do they fill up the arena or pay for broadcast services. Athletes in major sports are in show business, they are there cause of the fans its THAT simple.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #33
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
This is going to be a big story line when the Heat comes to MSG next week.

Once again, Simmons is a step or two ahead of all sportswriters out there.

That game is in Miami...
All Net is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #34
HurricaneKid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
that's what i will never get.
bron shyed away from possibly the biggest challenge of his sport, to go the easy way. if you cant beat them, join them.
msg knows basketball and respects and deeply admires exceptional talent even if it's the opponent's. imagine the most naturally gifted player ever calling it his home, 'we are witnesses' hanging over penn station.
he could have been a god walking the planet.
even if he only went to the finals once with the knicks it would be worth more than any titles he will win with the superfriend gayness.

No. You can't say this as NYK fans call for Melo's head. Especially knowing that the Knicks wouldn't have been as good as the Bulls moving forward and he may very well not have succeeded there.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #35
HurricaneKid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
wrong.
a lot of people would have been fine with the first two options and also with him goig to chicago (tho the jordan-thing would irk me).

He never would have won in Cle. I think most of us see that now, especially as the rest of the league consolidates top talent. A great career without a title for a player of his stature is just unacceptable. I would argue that the Knicks front office is the worst in the NBA. Winning a title there with Amare as a second option wouldn't have been any picnic. Amare needs the PnR and thats not LeBron's thing. It wasn't a match.

Chicago didn't even want him. I mean the players didn't even reach out to him. He couldn't go there.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #36
BlueandGold
bball/boxing

eh it can go either way. The Knicks would love Lebron during the regular season but if he pulled what he did in the 2011 playoffs (17ppg from his 28ppg average) the NYC media/fanbase would kill him publicly, possibly even worse than Miami.
BlueandGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #37
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
He never would have won in Cle. I think most of us see that now, especially as the rest of the league consolidates top talent. A great career without a title for a player of his stature is just unacceptable. I would argue that the Knicks front office is the worst in the NBA. Winning a title there with Amare as a second option wouldn't have been any picnic. Amare needs the PnR and thats not LeBron's thing. It wasn't a match.

Chicago didn't even want him. I mean the players didn't even reach out to him. He couldn't go there.

This is simply not true. I personally believe the team LeBron had in 09 had enough talent to win, but I don't see how anybody can deny his last year in Cleveland, he had enough talent but simply just dissapeared.

And even if you disagree with that I don't see how can someone say Bron simply would not have won in his entire career in Cleveland seeing that: 1) his owner was willing to spend as much as the CBA would allow him to improve, 2) although his front office was bad at the beginning of his tenure in Cleveland they were one of the most active in the league and performance wise they were near the top of the line his last 2 years, and 3) the team that Dirk had around him last year was not much better than what Bron had in Cleveland.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #38
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

good thread...

THING IS

Jeremy Lin LOVES the spotlight and clearly thrives under it.

Lebron, does not.
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #39
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
Winning a title there with Amare as a second option wouldn't have been any picnic. Amare needs the PnR and thats not LeBron's thing. It wasn't a match.

amare is ny's substitute for lebron. amare+lebron would not have happened.

it would have been:

felton
fields
lebron
gallo/chandler
mozgov/turiaf

which then could have become

billups
fields
melo
bron
turiaf/jeffries

or

lin
fields
melo
bron
chandler

Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #40
Ronin
Kid Clutch x 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by konex
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/.../linsanity-bag

I never thought of it that way. NY Media is insane and Bron could have benefited from this hype cos the Knicks would have been instant contenders with him and Amare

but I think the moment the Knicks don't win the media will be on him more than they are now. I'm pretty sure he didn't want to deal with all that.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #41
HurricaneKid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
This is simply not true. I personally believe the team LeBron had in 09 had enough talent to win, but I don't see how anybody can deny his last year in Cleveland, he had enough talent but simply just dissapeared.

And even if you disagree with that I don't see how can someone say Bron simply would not have won in his entire career in Cleveland seeing that: 1) his owner was willing to spend as much as the CBA would allow him to improve, 2) although his front office was bad at the beginning of his tenure in Cleveland they were one of the most active in the league and performance wise they were near the top of the line his last 2 years, and 3) the team that Dirk had around him last year was not much better than what Bron had in Cleveland.

I thought so too. Until the series started. And frankly, that Orl team isn't good enough to get to the Finals any more. They were WAY overmatched everywhere on the floor except LBJ. Inside, at the backcourt. EVERYWHERE. I think losing that series and then the next year against Boston which defended no one on that team OTHER than LeBron is what altered his mindset. Pau played D12 basicly to a draw and Kobe got the FMVP (as he should have). D12 had just annihilated Cle and LeBron got no help from anyone.

Being active is not being good. They had a collection of the worst contracts in the NBA. Wally, Hughes, Jamison, etc.

The team Dirk had around him shot 43% from 3 and was adequate or better defensively. Thats all Cle's cast was supposed to be. Instead they were garbage. The best player LBJ ever had alongside him was a Bucks castoff that comes off the bench for the Clippers.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #42
RazorBaLade
Banned

the problem is he'd be freakin eaten alive if he choked
RazorBaLade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #43
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

SSOL won't work in the playoffs. Miami has a higher chance of winning an NBA Championship this year compared to the Knicks.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 PM   #44
knickswin
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
SSOL won't work in the playoffs. Miami has a higher chance of winning an NBA Championship this year compared to the Knicks.

this is nonsense. SSOL has worked fine in the playoffs. no, it's never won a championship, but it's not like the suns lost in the first round every year. suns offense worked in the playoffs. it's not like random ball where you see the ball movement die and a bunch of bad looks getting clanked because the system fails to produce good looks.

suns not winning a championship doesn't mean mike's system is doomed. i'm not even the biggest fan of his system because of how it under emphasizes post play, but it can win a championship with the right pieces.

suns problems were they ran into the spurs and popovich who are a really good team with a really good coach. other problem was defense. suns got whatever they wanted on offense but couldn't stop the other team. this i believe was the problem with having to play amar'e and nash who are both very, very bad defenders for their positions.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #45
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

LBJ is the best player in the world playing in Miami, this kind of speculation in an article from Simmons is pathetic. "Oh but the crowd would be electric" please. He bloody already walks the entire earth like an immortal too.
He wanted to win titles, and thought Miami was the best place (and it is). He is a 5 min Dallas run from having one already and the favorite to win this year.
What a load of garbage that mailbag is. Just DMZ stuff.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: