Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-12-2012, 03:48 AM   #1
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Default Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
NEW YORK -- "Linsanity" could have come to Hollywood instead of the bright lights of Broadway.

The Los Angeles Lakers, who were one of several teams to express interest in New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin when he went undrafted out of Harvard in 2010, also considered signing the 6-foot-3, 200-pound point guard before this season began when Lin was a free agent.

"He didn't play much, [but] I knew who he was because when he was floating out there, I know [Lakers general manager] Mitch [Kupchak] had some interest in him and he brought his name up to me," Lakers coach Mike Brown said before Friday's game in New York. "But, obviously with the success he's had these last few games, it's more attention that he's been getting. You're hearing a lot about him."

Brown would not speculate how close the Lakers came to signing Lin after already drafting two guards, Darius Morris and Andrew Goudelock, who were already vying for roster spots.

"I have no clue. We brought up a million names," Brown said. "I know that Mitch liked the guy and thought highly of him."

We could have gotten him for dirt cheap...

This makes me wonder who in the Lakers not doing their homework? Who was asleep on the job?

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ing-jeremy-lin

Last edited by kobesabi : 02-12-2012 at 04:07 AM.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi

This makes me wonder who in the Lakers not doing their homework? Who was asleep on the job?

It isn't about who didnt do their homework. If everyone thought that Lin was going to be great, then he would have been playing like a star a long time ago.

Also, 2 seasons ago we were very interested in him. I think the warriors or someone had signed him. The rockets waived him. What does that tell you about what everyone thought of him?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:

I agree with you 100% We were asleep at the wheel again.
He was available because most teams in the NBA are very solid at the PG position....2 or 3 deep. The only teams who are in desperate need at that position are the Lakers and Heat.....so him being released is extremely misleading.

I wasn't even aware he was available this year until I heard he was sent to the D-League. My reaction was WTF is that guy doing in that league, he's better than that, if anything, we should've signed him and tried him out in the D-League. That was my reaction before his hot streak.......I had no feeling that he would ever do what he is doing now....but with as desperate a need as we have I would be bringing in everyone with NBA experience.
I thought Lin did enough last year to show that he belonged in the NBA.....but of course with Monta and Steph.....GS was the worst place for him to be....they had no use for him.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
LA KB24
LAL|LAC

I'm glad we didn't draft him because Mitch would think we're set for the next 5 years at PG.
LA KB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
It isn't about who didnt do their homework. If everyone thought that Lin was going to be great, then he would have been playing like a star a long time ago.

Also, 2 seasons ago we were very interested in him. I think the warriors or someone had signed him. The rockets waived him. What does that tell you about what everyone thought of him?
I thought Lakers hired the high paying staffs and scouts are best of the best. When you do your homework, it should not depends on what others are thinking. If it depends on others see, Jerry West would have not made that trade to acquire Kobe or Phoenix accept Steve Nash trade. Just because others release after 10 days does not mean that team did their homework well. And when he was in DLeague...why didn't Lakers send someone there to see how he did or they did but did not see anything and too busy twittering with hoochies?

Last edited by kobesabi : 02-12-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA KB24
I'm glad we didn't draft him because Mitch would think we're set for the next 5 years at PG.
It does not have to be bumbling 5 years contract. Just at least this season like the Knicks should suffice. When a player is desperate...there is also that bargaining chip.

Last edited by kobesabi : 02-13-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
lakersNUMBA1
I hit open 5-footers

Random fact about Lin: He has the same birthday as Kobe and is only 10 years younger than him.

Is he the next Kobe Bryant?! (jokes)
lakersNUMBA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
I thought Lakers hired the high paying staffs and scouts are best of the best. When you do your homework, it should not depends on what others are thinking. If it depends on others see, Jerry West would have not made that trade to acquire Kobe or Phoenix accept Steve Nash trade. Just because others release after 10 days does not mean that team did their homework well. And when he was in DLeague...why didn't Lakers send someone there to see how he did or they did but did not see anything and too busy twittering with hoochies?

Kobe Bryant at the time was a player everyone had heard about and many wanted him. Kobe's agent made it clear to all the lottery teams that he would NOT play for any other team other than the los angeles lakers, and that if any other team had drafted Kobe, they better have had a deal in place to send him to LA, which eventually led to Vlade Divac for Kobe, because the hornets wanted Vlade anyways.

The rockets released Jeremy Lin, and then management said they regret doing so, only after he performed well.

A player's good performance in the D-League is not at all a predictor of how well they will play in the NBA.

Now let me ask you something Kobesabi, why wasn't Michael Jordan drafted number 1 overall? Shouldn't there have been scouts to see how well he was playing? Why was Michael Jordan cut from his high school basketball team?

Why was Dennis Rodman a walk on tryout in college? Why wasn't he well known?

Why was Manu Ginobli drafted number 59 overall in the NBA draft?

I could do this all day, if you want to put blame on someone for not recognizing him, you blame all 30 teams. Mike D'Antoni just THREW him in the game, and he ended up with a straight. He got lucky. Mike was about to be fired from the knicks. Nobody, not even the knicks, knew that they had a diamond in the rough.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I agree with you 100% We were asleep at the wheel again.
He was available because most teams in the NBA are very solid at the PG position....2 or 3 deep. The only teams who are in desperate need at that position are the Lakers and Heat.....so him being released is extremely misleading.

I wasn't even aware he was available this year until I heard he was sent to the D-League. My reaction was WTF is that guy doing in that league, he's better than that, if anything, we should've signed him and tried him out in the D-League. That was my reaction before his hot streak.......I had no feeling that he would ever do what he is doing now....but with as desperate a need as we have I would be bringing in everyone with NBA experience.
I thought Lin did enough last year to show that he belonged in the NBA.....but of course with Monta and Steph.....GS was the worst place for him to be....they had no use for him.

Re-Posting this because Lakerfreak still doesn't seem to understand

If you think Houston was in desperate need of a starting Pg

If you think even today if Jeremy Lin was on the Rockets that he would be starting

WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR YOU TO UNDERSTAND.......MOST TEAMS DO NOT NEED A PG!!!!!!!

As for the Lakers scouting....they don't give a rats @ss, Jimmy Buss said that any guy sitting at a bar could be a scout and do as well as what they have.

The Spurs place a very high value on scouting and have tons of scouts all over the place....many are part timers. I know one of their scouts very well.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #10
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
Kobe Bryant at the time was a player everyone had heard about and many wanted him. Kobe's agent made it clear to all the lottery teams that he would NOT play for any other team other than the los angeles lakers, and that if any other team had drafted Kobe, they better have had a deal in place to send him to LA, which eventually led to Vlade Divac for Kobe, because the hornets wanted Vlade anyways.
Kobe was not on many teams top pick. Kobe was shunned by many teams and was not even top 10 pick. He landed #13
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_...#ixzz1mCFZTYIq

Quote:
The rockets released Jeremy Lin, and then management said they regret doing so, only after he performed well.

A player's good performance in the D-League is not at all a predictor of how well they will play in the NBA.

Now let me ask you something Kobesabi, why wasn't Michael Jordan drafted number 1 overall? Shouldn't there have been scouts to see how well he was playing? Why was Michael Jordan cut from his high school basketball team?

Why was Dennis Rodman a walk on tryout in college? Why wasn't he well known?

Why was Manu Ginobli drafted number 59 overall in the NBA draft?

I could do this all day, if you want to put blame on someone for not recognizing him, you blame all 30 teams. Mike D'Antoni just THREW him in the game, and he ended up with a straight. He got lucky. Mike was about to be fired from the knicks. Nobody, not even the knicks, knew that they had a diamond in the rough.

He could have been lucky or one of their people did their homework to encourage their FO to give him a temporary contract.

To answer your question, it was because the majority were waiting on the obvious while someone sees differently in them. Which brings back to my point, despite what others see, at the end of the day, it matter what you (GM, your scouts, your staffs etc) see in that candidate and how or what potential you see the fit for him to your team - NOT what others see in the value in them. If you see something while others don't, that is going to be an advantage or a steal and maybe a diamond in a rough. By the time many people see something, it is no longer a steal and you won't get it easily. If you are a good picker, you would hope to see something that noone else sees to give you an edge over others. But yes, it could have been just pure luck for Knicks...but someone must see something in Lin when others shunned away toward him to offer him temporary contract while Lakers didn't even bother or slow to respond.

Anyway, I'm trying to say a good picker don't have to be on the wait until the obvious but can see a little more than the obvious before it become clear.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
DKLaker

Quote:
Kobe was not on many teams top pick. Kobe was shunned by many teams and was not even top 10 pick. He landed #13

He could have been lucky or one of their people did their homework to encourage their FO to give him a temporary contract.

To answer your question, it was because the majority were waiting on the obvious while someone sees differently in them. Which brings back to my point, despite what others see, at the end of the day, it matter what you (GM, your scouts, your staffs etc) see in that candidate and how or what potential you see the fit for him to your team - NOT what others see in the value in them. If you see something while others don't, that is going to be an advantage or a steal and maybe a diamond in a rough. By the time many people see something, it is no longer a steal and you won't get it easily. If you are a good picker, you would hope to see something that noone else sees to give you an edge over others. But yes, it could have been just pure luck for Knicks...but someone must see something in Lin when others shunned away toward him to offer him temporary contract while Lakers didn't even bother or slow to respond.

Anyway, I'm trying to say a good picker don't have to be on the wait until the obvious but can see a little more than the obvious before it become clear.

To answer Lakerfreak's comment about why Michael Jordan was not selected 1st in the draft These are the type of questions that are asked by young people....anyone around at the time knows the answer to this.
Every hear of Clyde Drexler.....you know Clyde "The Glide" Drexler......a college and NBA legend one of the Top 50 greatest of all time, 10 time All-Star...Original Dream Team Member........that guy?
Well he was on the Portland Trailblazers, playing the same spot as MJ, the team needed a center so they drafted the best center available in Sam Bowie......this was a move strictly based on team need (A point you miss).
If Drexler was not on the team they would've drafted MJ.
It wasn't like they didn't know about him. Michael Jordan was cut from his High School VARSITY team as a freshman in favor of a Senior whom i played pickup ball with a few years ago, a friend of mine was on that team.
MJ still played on the JV team that season....it wasn't like he was unable to play at school. Another tidbit for you, playing for North Carolina on the 1982 Championship team, Jordan was the #3 guy behind James Worthy and Sam Perkins. Worthy led the team in scoring. Jordan was just a freshman.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:07 PM   #12
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

You have helped me prove my point with the bolded. If someone doesn't see that little fly that flew across the blackboard, the chances are, most or all have not seen it either. I doubt that Mitch and any GM as well as scouts in the league all read someone else's scouting report, and then make a decision on it. Why else did the lakers trade for Pau? Simply because after studying his game for a long time, they knew there would be a potentially perfect fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKlaker
To answer Lakerfreak's comment about why Michael Jordan was not selected 1st in the draft These are the type of questions that are asked by young people....anyone around at the time knows the answer to this.
Every hear of Clyde Drexler.....you know Clyde "The Glide" Drexler......a college and NBA legend one of the Top 50 greatest of all time, 10 time All-Star...Original Dream Team Member........that guy?

I asked that question for no other reason than to prove that nobody else in the league thought he was going to be that great. You agreed with Kobesabi's post, but there is a contradiction here. Kobesabi is saying that "teams need to do their own research, rather than going by what others say". You are saying "The reason Jordan wasn't drafted number one was because the hype around Clyde Drexler".

So while you are criticizing lakers scouts for "missing" the chance to sign Lin, you are also pardoning any team that didn't draft Jordan, but wait, I thought every other team had to do their own research, and see that special side of players?
Old 02-14-2012, 12:16 AM   #13
BØBØ
Local High School Star

Fans saying Lakers were asleep at the wheel concerning Lin are misinformed He has been very high on the Lakers radar since last year. They went after him twice this season. First when he was cut by Golden State then by Houston but due to the new rules regarding waived players they were never able to make an offer for him.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 12:20 AM   #14
DKLaker

Quote:
You have helped me prove my point with the bolded. If someone doesn't see that little fly that flew across the blackboard, the chances are, most or all have not seen it either. I doubt that Mitch and any GM as well as scouts in the league all read someone else's scouting report, and then make a decision on it. Why else did the lakers trade for Pau? Simply because after studying his game for a long time, they knew there would be a potentially perfect fit.

I asked that question for no other reason than to prove that nobody else in the league thought he was going to be that great. You agreed with Kobesabi's post, but there is a contradiction here. Kobesabi is saying that "teams need to do their own research, rather than going by what others say". You are saying "The reason Jordan wasn't drafted number one was because the hype around Clyde Drexler".

So while you are criticizing lakers scouts for "missing" the chance to sign Lin, you are also pardoning any team that didn't draft Jordan, but wait, I thought every other team had to do their own research, and see that special side of players?

Wow......you are extremely confused
Clyde Drexler was already a superstar on the Blazers BEFORE Jordan was drafted......please read up on the history of the game......I can't even discuss what you have no knowledge of......I know you weren't born yet.
It was Sam Bowie who was selected 1st because he was a center and Jordan was drafted 2nd....EVERYONE knew Jordan was going to be a superstar, EVERYONE knew that Jordan was the better player, even the Blazers.....but you don't draft a player in a position that you already have a superstar in.
Do you understand this???????
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Wow......you are extremely confused
Clyde Drexler was already a superstar on the Blazers BEFORE Jordan was drafted......please read up on the history of the game......I can't even discuss what you have no knowledge of......I know you weren't born yet.
It was Sam Bowie who was selected 1st because he was a center and Jordan was drafted 2nd....EVERYONE knew Jordan was going to be a superstar, EVERYONE knew that Jordan was the better player, even the Blazers.....but you don't draft a player in a position that you already have a superstar in.
Do you understand this???????

I do see my mistake, my apologies. But now Im waiting on Kobesabi to respond to me.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: