Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Ed Davis

He's getting traded in the offseason.

Why do I think that?

- Valanciunas will be here. While he won't immediately get big minutes, he definitely will be seeing some playing time.

- As long as Colangelo is here, Bargnani will be here too. It seems like the Raptors are doing everything possible to not have him play C. This is evident in that they actually give Magloire and Gray minutes. I do like Aaron Gray though and like I said in before the season started, he will get minutes and look like a decent backup C.

- I think the Raptors will do everything they can to make the playoffs next year. So keeping the experienced Amir instead of giving Davis time to develop makes sense if that is your goal. Colangelo will be scrambling to extend his time in Toronto.

Valanciunas, Bargnani, Amir, and Gray (I think he'll be re-signed) doesn't leave many minutes for Davis. No point in having a young player like that stagnate on the bench. Traded.

Even though he clearly hasn't played too well this year, I think the Raptors have totally mishandled him thus far. In a season where the playoffs are a pipe-dream and Bargnani goes down with an injury, you'd think this would be the ideal time to throw him out there and see what you have in him. He's actually averaging less minutes per game than he was last year.

All that is under the assumption that the Raptors don't win the #1 pick and take an SF or SG like MKG, Barnes or Lamb. Of course if they win the 1st pick they take Anthony Davis and Ed can start packing his bags immediately after the lottery.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Default Re: Ed Davis

I don't think he works too hard, he seems lost on offense and isn't improving in anything.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #3
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I expect Ed Davis is going to be packaged around the draft with our first to move up for Anthony Davis.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:01 AM   #4
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I expect Ed Davis is going to be packaged around the draft with our first to move up for Anthony Davis.
Unfortunately I don't see any other lottery team accepting such a deal. None of the high lottery teams are locked in with a star PF so they could all use A. Davis. Then you have guys like Monroe and Biyombo who could start at C with Davis at PF. I was thinking maybe Minnesota if they miraculously won the lottery but I think they owe their pick to New Orleans, right?

I can't see a single team trading the #1 pick this year.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
brwnman

I do think he's getting traded as well. Whats been bothering me recently are his hands. Butter fingers! I don't remember him being that bad with the ball last year, but his development has been a mess thus far...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
brwnman

Also, just like to point out, I think one of Ed Davis or Amir Johnson is going to be traded this off season regardless of our draft pick. With Val coming over, there's only so many minutes that can be distributed...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:57 PM   #7
bada bing
College star

yep. i think the coaching staff is not too impressed with him, hence the lack of playing time. They should try to trade him along with others for next year's draft. The more picks we have the better.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

We should make a run at Nash and his expiring contract. Maybe we can dump the salaries of Kleiza and Amir in a deal. Give them Davis with those two and a 2nd or something.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
We should make a run at Nash and his expiring contract. Maybe we can dump the salaries of Kleiza and Amir in a deal. Give them Davis with those two and a 2nd or something.
Getting Nash would destroy the tank. It cannot happen.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:47 AM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

I think you have to consider the situation this year to understand ed's lack of development. Because of the lockout he wasn't able to train properly with the help of the organization. Because there was no real training camp he wasn't able to learn from the coaching staff in advance of the season. Lastly because the team hardly ever practices, given the lack of down time during the season, he hasn't had an opportunity to learn from the coaching staff at all.

Personally I think it is a really bad season to evaluate ed's potential. I have been pretty unimpressed with Amir this season as well and he doesn't have the same excuses. If one of them has to go I'd rather try to move Amir. I personally prefer a 3 man rotation of Val, Bargs and Ed. Of course, if we somehow land Anthony Davis or even Andre Drummond than I would re-evluate that stance.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
Himan12
On the clouds

He hasnt shown much as to why the coach should be playing him over the scurbs they put out.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
He hasnt shown much as to why the coach should be playing him over the scurbs they put out.
Neither has Derozan and he keeps getting shoved out there. Why? Because they realize he is young and they want to see what they have in him. Ed Davis should be given that same chance.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:40 PM   #13
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Neither has Derozan and he keeps getting shoved out there. Why? Because they realize he is young and they want to see what they have in him. Ed Davis should be given that same chance.

agree. when bargs got injured he should have been automatic for the starting lineup.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #14
Himan12
On the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Must be something the coaching staff sees that we dont. Hes young so its understandable that he could not be having the best practices. Cant help that hes been inconsistent, but there are things that worry me about him.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

also competition at the position.
we only have 2 guys that play sg.
at pf we have amir, bargs, ed, plus james j and kleiza have each played some pf this season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: