Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Default DJ Augustin Out Indefinitely

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...g-concern.html

Quote:
Charlotte Bobcats point guard D.J. Augustin played through three ankle sprains the first dozen games of this NBA season. He knows the difference between a little pain and a debilitating injury.

The right big-toe injury Augustin has suffered is debilitating. So much so that Augustin likely won't play in any of the upcoming four road games that start Tuesday against the Lakers in Los Angeles. In an exclusive interview Sunday with the Observer, Augustin said sitting out now is necessary, not only to this season, but potentially to protecting his career.

"If I try to come back and play on it too soon, I'll be right back where I was last week," said Augustin, who missed the last four games, all losses.

"I don't want to play on it, make it worse, and maybe be out the rest of the year - hurt my career with something serious."

The basic description of Augustin's injury is "right big-toe inflammation." More specifically, doctors tell him he has tiny cracks in the sesamoid bones embedded into the tendons in that toe. He planned to have a magnetic resonance imaging Sunday to double-check the health of the tendons in his toe.

"It could have been something I was born with," Augustin said. "Inflammation gets in the cracks and that's what's causing the pain."

Augustin says this injury is particularly problematic for a point guard, because so much of his game is predicated on explosive movements off his right foot, his dominant foot. There's nothing he does at the NBA level that wouldn't place stress on this exact injury.

"When I push off to do anything - to drive, to play defense - I'm not getting any of the lift or explosiveness I need to do it," he described.

Augustin has spent the last week getting treatment - ice, electric stimulation, an oral anti-inflammatory and some light exercises to strengthen the tendon. But mostly the treatment is rest and time. He's still in a walking boot to keep weight and pressure off the injury.

He's in less pain, but that can be misleading:

"I'm feeling better, but I wouldn't feel that exact pain again until I try to play on it, try running," Augustin said. "First, I'm going to practice. If I can't make it through a practice, I'm definitely not going to play."
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:55 AM   #2
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Default Re: DJ Augustin Out Indefinitely

I'm fine with letting Kemba run the show. He needs to learn anyway and it's not like we're challenging for anything this year other than the most lottery balls with or without DJ.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Only thing that Im worried about is it hurting Augustins trade value.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Only thing that Im worried about is it hurting Augustins trade value.

With him being a potential rental now I don't think he'd bring a lot back regardless. I agree tho that it's not helping.

LAL is probably still the best bet. The rental wouldn't bother them so much because with the money being equal (or even less) they're a big draw for FAs.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
With him being a potential rental now I don't think he'd bring a lot back regardless. I agree tho that it's not helping.

LAL is probably still the best bet. The rental wouldn't bother them so much because with the money being equal (or even less) they're a big draw for FAs.

Who would the Lakers trade?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
Who would the Lakers trade?

It will depend on that "rental" thing...maybe Blake/LAL #1/DAL #1? I don't like Blake's contract but at least he'd play a needed role.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

I doubt we'd actually ask for a player in return. We'd probably just get picks and sign someone off a D-League roster.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I doubt we'd actually ask for a player in return. We'd probably just get picks and sign someone off a D-League roster.

The team taking DJ would have to have cap space or a big enough TPE for that to happen. The Lakers do have a TPE...but I figured we could only get one pick if they used that. Plus Blake would be a great backup to Kemba.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~spectre~
The team taking DJ would have to have cap space or a big enough TPE for that to happen. The Lakers do have a TPE...but I figured we could only get one pick if they used that. Plus Blake would be a great backup to Kemba.

Not to sure the Lakers would give up Blake but ive suspected DJ to be a possible option for LA.
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Word is Henderson is out 2-4 weeks with a pulled hamstring. FML
Old 02-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
C-A-T-S
@Bobcats f o r u m PSD

Quote:
Point guard Augustin has been out with severe inflammation in his right big toe since a loss in New Jersey Jan. 22. He says he’s feeling dramatically better, and might play as soon as a Monday home game against the Philadelphia 76ers.

Quote:
Henderson suffered a hamstring strain in the loss at Portland, and has missed the past two games.

“I’m not good enough to play yet, but it’s better every day,’’ said Henderson.

Quote:
Maggette said he hopes to play sometime this week or next, but is cautious about risking re-injury.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...-the-mend.html

WBTV 3 reported at 6 that Silas wants Maggette to play tonight (Lord I hope not!) Maggette himself though says it may be the Clippers or 6ers game before he's ready. Take your time Corey!
C-A-T-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:09 PM   #12
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

From Bonnell's blog:

Quote:
Augustin ready to play for Bobcats

Charlotte Bobcats point guard D.J. Augustin plans to play Wednesday against the Minnesota Timberwolves, the first time Augustin has been available since aggravating a toe injury Jan. 22 in New Jersey.

Augustin looked so good in practice Tuesday that coach Paul Silas said he’s seriously considering starting Augustin against the T’Wolves. That’s a departure from Silas’s original plan, to work Augustin back slowly.

Augustin has suffered from severe inflammation in his right big toe. Tuesday was the first day he has cut and burst off that toe in weeks.

Returning Augustin to the starting lineup would likely make Kemba Walker the backup point guard, rather than revert to a system where rookie Walker plays big minutes at shooting guard. Walker told the Observer about a week ago that he anticipated being a reserve once Augustin returns and he’s fine with that role.

Augustin is the team’s best playmaker and its most reliable shooter, Silas said. His return should perk up an offense that has struggled to shoot 40 percent or reach 80 points in several recent games.

The Bobcats hope to get back shooting guard Gerald Henderson (hamstring strain) by the end of this three-game road trip to Minneapolis, Toronto and Indiana.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
C-A-T-S
@Bobcats f o r u m PSD

Kind of sad to see Kemba go back to the bench just as he was breaking out but def glad to add DJ's setup abilities and jumper back.
C-A-T-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #14
liverpooty
Local High School Star

If Walker keeps playing like he did last night than Augustin will be traded by the trade deadline.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:44 PM   #15
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Knowing our FO I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually Kemba that was traded.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: