Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #16
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Futurama vs South Park vs Family Guy vs Simpson

i would have said south park 10 years ago, but they have declined greatly with the type of crap they put out now. futurama is still good and funny. simpsons were great in the late 90's early 00's. and family guy to me was good for a couple seasons, till they made stewie into an angel
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:20 AM   #17
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

PHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat coolPHX_Phan is considered somewhat cool

South Park > Simpsons > Futurama > Family Guy
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #18
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
because the new simpsons episodes suck compared to the new south park and futurama episodes of today.

I don't know what I would go with nowadays since I've kind of given up on these shows. Just seems that they ran out of material a while ago and are running on fumes.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:25 AM   #19
dkmwise
Local High School Star

dkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected posterdkmwise is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
i would have said south park 10 years ago, but they have declined greatly with the type of crap they put out now. futurama is still good and funny. simpsons were great in the late 90's early 00's. and family guy to me was good for a couple seasons, till they made stewie into an angel

Very true that all shows have declined. Simpsons IMO hasn't been funny since 2000. Family guy's first 3 season were good but after they came back from beign canceled I haven't like them at all. South Park's last few seasons have been overall pretty week, only a couple good episodes per seaons.

Taking all the shows in their prime though, I'll go South Park hands down. Seasons 4-10 were all great and the way Matt and Trey would use the cartoon to show how obsurd certain political and cultural issues are was brilliant.
dkmwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 AM   #20
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2

i dont think i can agree with south park declining... i think that everything they put out nowadays is expected, whereas 10 years ago the stuff they put out was shocking. i say this because 10 years ago if year heard the stuff south park put on an episode you were shocked that it was on t.v. but nowadays you just expect it.

futurama has kept up it's great brand, and every episode it worth watching whereas simpsons has declined as well as family guy.

family guy has it's satirical moments, but they are mainly in the flashback instead of a whole episode based on a whole subject.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:28 AM   #21
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
I don't know what I would go with nowadays since I've kind of given up on these shows. Just seems that they ran out of material a while ago and are running on fumes.

thats the great thing about these show. humans are always giving them new inspiration for new episodes. it doesnt have to follow an exact story line from previous episodes!
Old 02-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #22
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
i dont think i can agree with south park declining... i think that everything they put out nowadays is expected, whereas 10 years ago the stuff they put out was shocking. i say this because 10 years ago if year heard the stuff south park put on an episode you were shocked that it was on t.v. but nowadays you just expect it.

futurama has kept up it's great brand, and every episode it worth watching whereas simpsons has declined as well as family guy.

family guy has it's satirical moments, but they are mainly in the flashback instead of a whole episode based on a whole subject.

South Park's comedy has turned a lot more "loud." The characters are always yelling, laughing outrageously in someones face, screaming out the joke. They used to touch on deeper topics naturally, through the course of a storyline. Now, they sort of beat you over the head with their message.

Edit: It seems they fed into their own depiction of themselves. In the episode where they dissed Family Guy, they described their own show as "preachy, up its own ass about its message." When I honestly never thought they were. The messages were just natural. But now, they have become preachy and up their own ass about the message.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM   #23
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

i also forgot to mention that matt groening was the creating of simpsons and futurama.

i think that futurama give him a more creative stance to use his satirical comedy because in the future anything is possible, whereas the simpsons is in the future and it has limits.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:40 AM   #24
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Futurama (before the movies and coming back with new episodes) >>
Simpsons (seasons 2-10) >>>
South Park >>>>>>>>>>>
Family Guy
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 AM   #25
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Futurama (before the movies and coming back with new episodes) >>
Simpsons (seasons 2-10) >>>
South Park >>>>>>>>>>>
Family Guy

you dont think the movies were good?
i was a huge fan of seasons 1-4 as well as the movies and i missed alot of seasons 5-6 due to being a student in college and not having time to figure out about new seasons starting, but i have jumped on my parents netflix account and downloading the new seasons. and think they are just as good as the originals.

serious question, what exactly makes them different in your opinion?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 AM   #26
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
you dont think the movies were good?
i was a huge fan of seasons 1-4 as well as the movies and i missed alot of seasons 5-6 due to being a student in college and not having time to figure out about new seasons starting, but i have jumped on my parents netflix account and downloading the new seasons. and think they are just as good as the originals.

serious question, what exactly makes them different in your opinion?

I think the first movie was pretty good, and would make for a fitting ending to the show... The other three were weak, and the new episodes are bad. A lot of people like them, and the actors/writers are still getting paid so that's cool, but I'm just ignoring the show now.

Honestly, if I said all the problems that I have with the new episodes it would take me an hour and be too long for anyone to want to read. So I'll give cliff notes that I can think of off the top of my head.

- Noticeable decline in writing. Many good writers went on to other shows.

- Change in animation. Much more CGI is utilized.

- Anachronisms in references. They are referencing things that are current, even though they are 1000 years ahead of us... Meaning they should've been referencing i-pads the whole time... Plus that it's illogical to reference stuff post-1999 because Fry wouldn't be around. That means the reference would be lost and break a rule of the show... Plus that insinuates if it's so important that it's worth referencing without Fry's knowledge that an i-pad is worth remembering in 1000 years.

- Terrible plots.

- Changes in characters, more slapstick, and broader humor.

- Relationship arcs that make no sense (Fry/Leela romance). Some episodes they're together, some they aren't.

There's just so much wrong with them now, even the voices are wrong because the actors aged 7/8 years between episodes... Most noticeable in Billy West characters, especially Fry.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #27
Killbot
KillImpaleLiquefyLynch

Killbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKillbot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

South Park is the winner for me.
Killbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:04 AM   #28
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
I think the first movie was pretty good, and would make for a fitting ending to the show... The other three were weak, and the new episodes are bad. A lot of people like them, and the actors/writers are still getting paid so that's cool, but I'm just ignoring the show now.

Honestly, if I said all the problems that I have with the new episodes it would take me an hour and be too long for anyone to want to read. So I'll give cliff notes that I can think of off the top of my head.

- Noticeable decline in writing. Many good writers went on to other shows.

- Change in animation. Much more CGI is utilized.

- Anachronisms in references. They are referencing things that are current, even though they are 1000 years ahead of us... Meaning they should've been referencing i-pads the whole time... Plus that it's illogical to reference stuff post-1999 because Fry wouldn't be around. That means the reference would be lost and break a rule of the show... Plus that insinuates if it's so important that it's worth referencing without Fry's knowledge that an i-pad is worth remembering in 1000 years.

- Terrible plots.

- Changes in characters, more slapstick, and broader humor.

- Relationship arcs that make no sense (Fry/Leela romance). Some episodes they're together, some they aren't.

There's just so much wrong with them now, even the voices are wrong because the actors aged 7/8 years between episodes... Most noticeable in Billy West characters, especially Fry.

i think that is just reaching because the whole first four seasons would have had the same problems, but i guess that is the point of forum... to have a good argument.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:12 AM   #29
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
i think that is just reaching because the whole first four seasons would have had the same problems, but i guess that is the point of forum... to have a good argument.

Well that's the thing. They would reference stuff that Fry was around for pre-freezing. That means Fry would either make the reference, or it was a character referencing something that he could understand, since he was the main character.

For example when they had Beck and the Beastie Boys on... They played Devil's Haircut (1996) and Intergalactic (1998), those are songs Fry knew. Olestra chips, Sanford and Son, Pac-Man, McDonald's coffee lawsuit, Fry knows these things.

A character referencing the Kardashians makes absolutely no sense because Fry would have no clue who they were, and that infers that they are important enough to remember and reference in everyday life in 3012.

Now I know I'm being a little anal about the rules of the show and the logic... But it just doesn't fly. They're relying on current pop culture rather than pop culture of Fry's time.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:18 AM   #30
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

Quote:
Well that's the thing. They would reference stuff that Fry was around for pre-freezing. That means Fry would either make the reference, or it was a character referencing something that he could understand, since he was the main character.

For example when they had Beck and the Beastie Boys on... They played Devil's Haircut (1996) and Intergalactic (1998), those are songs Fry knew. Olestra chips, Sanford and Son, Pac-Man, McDonald's coffee lawsuit, Fry knows these things.

A character referencing the Kardashians makes absolutely no sense because Fry would have no clue who they were, and that infers that they are important enough to remember and reference in everyday life in 3012.

Now I know I'm being a little anal about the rules of the show and the logic... But it just doesn't fly. They're relying on current pop culture rather than pop culture of Fry's time.

well fry never got to see anything past 1999, so the kardashians are new to him as well as the iphone. plus he is too dumb to understand anyway.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: