Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-14-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Dogfighting

Have any of you ever been to a dogfight?

I'm horrified and disgusted by them, but I still find the whole culture and enterprise intriguing for some morbidly curious reason (not the actual fighting and pain the dogs go through). It's kind of like the mafia, cocaine dealing, and how I love watching movies about the subjects. I've seen one film where characters engaged in dogfighting ('Amores Perros'), and the underground environment is entertaining in a sick way. Hard to explain.

I don't think I'd ever want to witness it in person though.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:33 PM   #2
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people
Default Re: Dogfighting

I've seen dog and cat tossing. They fling usually smaller dogs..medium size dogs and who ever throws the dog or cat the furthest wins. One guy tosses the cats by the tail..I was surprised the cat's tail didn't come off.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
Freedom Kid7
Lazy Bulls fan

Freedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected posterFreedom Kid7 is a pretty well-respected poster

Nice try Michael Vick.

But in all seriousness it pisses me off. Dogs are loyal, respectable and lovable, not things you put to fight and die. Guard maybe, but to fight and die and put a dog out if he's a poor fighter, I get upset.
Freedom Kid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
I've seen dog and cat tossing. They fling usually smaller dogs..medium size dogs and who ever throws the dog or cat the furthest wins. One guy tosses the cats by the tail..I was surprised the cat's tail didn't come off.

You're a despicable individual.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
senelcoolidge
Great college starter

senelcoolidge has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You're a despicable individual.

I didn't do this I thought it was despicable too. The people that think this is a sport are crazy.
senelcoolidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

anybody has a link to a good documentary?
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:53 PM   #7
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom Kid7
Nice try Michael Vick.

But in all seriousness it pisses me off. Dogs are loyal, respectable and lovable, not things you put to fight and die. Guard maybe, but to fight and die and put a dog out if he's a poor fighter, I get upset.

Michael Vick?

LOL, no it pisses me off too. I was just watching a clip on youtube about the rescued dogs from his compound. Never seen any of that before, and the hurt in their eyes and scarring on their faces made my stomach turn. I'm not a callous human being.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm intrigued by the criminal mind. The whole preparation aspect (training, organizing the venue, etc.) is interesting to investigate and makes for a watchable subject cinematically like other criminal enterprises. The actual dogfighting and bloodletting itself makes me cringe. Don't delight in it at all.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

And, speaking of Michael Vick specifically, I truly believe he is GENUINELY remorseful for what he did. Not simply because he got caught, but he did learn how his treatment of those animals was wrong.

He grew up with a different view, and I do believe his work with the Humane Society now is coming from the heart.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
CelticBaller
lite kobe

CelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterCelticBaller is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I did it for a living, it was easy money but my owner wasn't so kind
CelticBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

if some country eats dogs and have cows as pets. would they be wrong ?

not saying dogfigthing should be perfectly fine but nobody shoul be all high and mighty and be outraged by it.
flipogb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #11
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipogb
if some country eats dogs and have cows as pets. would they be wrong ?

not saying dogfigthing should be perfectly fine but nobody shoul be all high and mighty and be outraged by it.

Humans have lived with canines for thousands of years. Some people can't get over that instinct to put dogs on a higher pedestal than other creatures. People pay and cheer to see two guys beat the shit out of each other, but groan at two dogs going at it.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. I'm So Rad
Humans have lived with canines for thousands of years. Some people can't get over that instinct to put dogs on a higher pedestal than other creatures. People pay and cheer to see two guys beat the shit out of each other, but groan at two dogs going at it.

Dogfighting is far harder on a dog than boxing, MMA, etc. is on a human.

They fight 'til the death most of the time, and one fight often leaves them with injuries they carry for the rest of their lives.

And, another difference is humans volunteer and actually dream about becoming pro fighters some day. Dogs are forced into it and some instinctively don't want to do it only to get drowned by their owner for refusing.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:05 PM   #13
upside24
Aspire To Be Great

upside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableupside24 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Went to a guys house to buy something and he was hosting a dogfight. I knew he did it but I'd never witnessed a dogfight before. Got what I wanted and left. I find it disgusting.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
Dogfighting is far harder on a dog than boxing, MMA, etc. is on a human.

Really? No one who has ever been a professional fighter or even football player has ever retired and been f*cked up afterwards? To the point where their physical/mental condition is permanently altered?

Quote:
They fight 'til the death most of the time, and one fight often leaves them with injuries they carry for the rest of their lives.

Same thing happens with horses. When the prized stallions can't race anymore (unless they have won a lot) they are disposed of. Yet no one complains.

Quote:
And, another difference is humans volunteer and actually dream about becoming pro fighters some day. Dogs are forced into it and some instinctively don't want to do it only to get drowned by their owner for refusing.

Valid point here, but it doesn't the reality of the nature of the sports I've mentioned. People can volunteer and dream of jumping off of a building. It doesn't make it any less harsh a "dream" does it?

I like dogs, a lot. But honestly the reason people get so worked up about it is because well...they're dogs. If people in some run down boons were training and making rats or snakes fight each other no one would give a f*ck. Hell, people can watch a movie like Saw just to see people get slaughtered. But everyone cried and sobbed when Will Smith's dog died in I Am Legend.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #15
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

My old neighbor does it. He hosts underground tournaments from time to time all over the metro area. He has an old U-Haul truck that he keeps his equipment in. Treadmill, dog ring, etc..

I know he makes a lot of money doing it, because he moved to a mini-mansion in the burbs

Last edited by Tarik One : 10-14-2012 at 05:43 PM.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: