Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
Heavincent
5-time NBA All-Star

Heavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this boardHeavincent is popular on this board
Default Can we stop pretending like PER is a useful stat?

It's some retarded formula made up by some dipshit at ESPN. I laughed when I read Hoollinger's explanation of what PER is. He's basically saying it's a cluster-**** of shit that he threw together.

When's the last time you heard a player/coach/analyst (besides Hoolinger) say something about PER? I don't think I ever have.

It's useless and irrelevant.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Jotaro Durant
Banned

Jotaro Durant has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: Can we stop pretending like PER is a useful stat?

advance stats are so stupid and this is the most stupid one
Jotaro Durant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

It was developed by a NERD who has never shot a basketball in his life and we're supposed to use it to gauge how efficient a bball player is?!?!
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Mad that PER predicted Lin would be GOD before he ever got the chance?

Yeah, you mad.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

fuck per. According to per, Malone had one of the greatest finals performances of all time.

Last edited by rodman91 : 02-21-2012 at 07:45 PM.
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodman91
fuck per. According to per, Malone had one of the greatest finals performances of all time.
Wrong. According to PER, Malone had a very efficient offensive finals.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #7
iDefend5
Banned

iDefend5 is a pretty well-respected posteriDefend5 is a pretty well-respected posteriDefend5 is a pretty well-respected poster

If you don't understand PER, you probably never will.
iDefend5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Mad that PER predicted Lin would be GOD before he ever got the chance?

Yeah, you mad.

Moneyball predicted it first. http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=487

Moneyball is better because it's actually used in major league sports (like baseball) unlke PER which is only used buy ESPN/Hollinger.
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
bwink23
Banned

bwink23 is considered somewhat coolbwink23 is considered somewhat coolbwink23 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent
It's some retarded formula made up by some dipshit at ESPN. I laughed when I read Hoollinger's explanation of what PER is. He's basically saying it's a cluster-**** of shit that he threw together.

When's the last time you heard a player/coach/analyst (besides Hoolinger) say something about PER? I don't think I ever have.

I agree completely...it's right there with TS%.
bwink23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
HighFlyer23
National High School Star

HighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat coolHighFlyer23 is considered somewhat cool

PER just lumps a bunch of stats together per time without context or anything

its not that useful and can be misleading
HighFlyer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #11
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavincent

Mike & Mike mentioned it this morning. They were saying it's the best way to measure greatness or something like that. Basically getting Hollinger some props.

I wanted to rip my hair out listening to that.
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:01 PM   #12
rodman91
Bulls

rodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputationrodman91 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Wrong. According to PER, Malone had a very efficient offensive finals.

98 Malone > 95 Hakeem according to PER. Hollinger has Malone at 18, while Hakeem at 31 in best finals perfomances
rodman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDefend5
If you don't understand PER, you probably never will.
I understand it just fine. It's some shit John Hollinger pulled out of his ass one day when he was bored and threw it out there and acted like it meant something.

What's not to understand?
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Who actually uses PER as an end-all-be-all value to determine and compare player worth??

I've really never heard any analysts or journalists (Hollinger included, I read alot of stuff on ESPN) use PER outside of what it actually is.... a combination of basic stats into one value to display statistical impact, while adjusting for playing time
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

PER is only used by Lebron23, pauk, Joyner and Hollinger you go figure.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: