Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #16
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Does Gerald Green deserves a 2nd look

In case DKlaker missed it, Aaron Brooks was drafted in the second round, meaning that all 30 teams passed him up, some of them even more than once. A short skinny guard is always a long shot. And we had Phil Jackson as our coach. A guy who wanted big guards. What are you going to tell me next? That we should have drafted Ginobli, who was taken at #59 by the spurs?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #17
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
In case DKlaker missed it, Aaron Brooks was drafted in the second round, meaning that all 30 teams passed him up, some of them even more than once. A short skinny guard is always a long shot. And we had Phil Jackson as our coach. A guy who wanted big guards. What are you going to tell me next? That we should have drafted Ginobli, who was taken at #59 by the spurs?

I don't know why you have no clue as to the fact that teams draft first for positions they need help with.....if you have 2 solid PG's and have big needs at other positions, you wouldn't even consider drafting a PG........why is it so hard for you to understand this......even a caveman gets this

Aaron Brooks was a 1st round pick at #26.....bro, you are losing your sanity or a kid has stolen your ISH account???
We took Crittendon at 19th pick. I was hoping Nick Young who went #16 would slip down to us.....and almost did.
I posted BEFORE THE DRAFT that I wanted Aaron Brooks with our 1st pick and Marc Gasol with our 2nd pick.....which we did. I was furious with the Crittendon pick.
Brooks was no mystery player, he was one of the most dominant players in the Pac 10, when it was still good, Brooks was a finalist for the John Wooden Award.....an award for the TOP COLLEGE PLAYER IN THE ENTIRE COUNTRY!!!!
He was 1 of 10 players named to the ALL-WOODEN ALL AMERICAN TEAM.
He won the NCAA 3 point shooting contest.
Knowing the guy was a legitimate NBA caliber players in no way makes me a genius....it was a no brainer. If I had Chris Paul.....I wouldn't think about drafting Brooks.......but If I have D-Fish then I very quickly grab Brooks.......it's all about need......can you please learn this fundamental basic common sense thing?
Ginobili was a find that only savvy scouting team like the Spurs can pull off....they are the draft masters, we are the draft dunces.
I myself had no clue about Ginobili so I wouldn't have suggested picking him.

Don't bother arguing about this anymore....you need to learn what is going on.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-25-2012 at 07:02 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:19 AM   #18
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^^hindsight is 20/20. You also told us all to watch out for DJ Mbenga and that he was soon going to become a great role player and has great upside lol. Critt was a player highly touted in that draft and was perceived to have a very high upside.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #19
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
^^hindsight is 20/20. You also told us all to watch out for DJ Mbenga and that he was soon going to become a great role player and has great upside lol. Critt was a player highly touted in that draft and was perceived to have a very high upside.

Not hindsight bro......go back and READ my posts before the Lakers drafted. It's right here on ISH.
Watch how hard I bashed the idiotic pick of Crittendon the moment they made that pick and everyday thereafter.....it was a brainless pick.
Lmao that Sessions was way at the bottom of that same draft and NOW we want him.

Mbenga was training his @ss off and was looking great, making nice moves and really developing his footwork......then all the injuries hit him. With big men it is almost always the issue.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #20
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It looks like Green is going to get another chance in the NBA:

Quote:
The Nets are on the verge of signing 2012 D-League All-Star game MVP and 2007 NBA Slam Dunk Contest champion Gerald Green, a league source confirmed to ESPN NewYork.com. "It's looking that way," the source said. ESPN NY
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #21
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Not hindsight bro......go back and READ my posts before the Lakers drafted. It's right here on ISH.
Watch how hard I bashed the idiotic pick of Crittendon the moment they made that pick and everyday thereafter.....it was a brainless pick.
Lmao that Sessions was way at the bottom of that same draft and NOW we want him.

Mbenga was training his @ss off and was looking great, making nice moves and really developing his footwork......then all the injuries hit him. With big men it is almost always the issue.

Everyone makes predictions, some come true, some don't. I'd look like a genius if I talked about all my predictions that came true.

Last edited by ihatetimthomas : 02-27-2012 at 01:55 PM.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Everyone makes predictions, some come true, some don't. I'd look like a genius if I talked about all my predictions that came true.

I don't know where you are trying to go with this?????
I was talking about the screwups of our scouting department and wasn't talking about anything you said......not sure why you are in attack mode

I more than made my point about Brooks and WHY he was such an obvious choice at that pick for the LAKERS who had a huge need at that position.
This was NOT about predictions.....it was about the obvious, I clearly stated that I had no clue about Ginobili.......in fact Sessions wasn't really on my radar....never said I was a genius with this stuff......although I am paid to evaluate and train and have been extremely successful.......point is with Brooks it was a no-brainer.
Hope you get into a better mood bro
Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #23
LA.MJ&KB#1
Good college starter

LA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation hereLA.MJ&KB#1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
It looks like Green is going to get another chance in the NBA:
Good for Green..I new someone was going to pick him up...
LA.MJ&KB#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM   #24
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I don't know where you are trying to go with this?????
I was talking about the screwups of our scouting department and wasn't talking about anything you said......not sure why you are in attack mode

I more than made my point about Brooks and WHY he was such an obvious choice at that pick for the LAKERS who had a huge need at that position.
This was NOT about predictions.....it was about the obvious, I clearly stated that I had no clue about Ginobili.......in fact Sessions wasn't really on my radar....never said I was a genius with this stuff......although I am paid to evaluate and train and have been extremely successful.......point is with Brooks it was a no-brainer.
Hope you get into a better mood bro

His point was that you've made predictions, some right some wrong. I made predictions, some right, some wrong. He's made predictions, some right, some wrong.

That is what scouting is all about also. You evaluate a person's strengths and weaknesses. If they are strong in many areas, does it guarantee an NBA successful career? Not always. Team's draft for 2 reasons:

1) Needs - You need rebounding? Draft a big man that was known for defense and rebounding. Need some quickness? Draft a point guard or a wing man that can get up and down.

2) Upside - Some teams have everything they need to play the game properly, some lack a star and hope they get a guy with good potential.

I don't see a team drafting someone because "Other teams say he's good, so we should join the mob and pursue".

To get back to my humble opinion, and bottom line, drafting in itself is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Darko and Kwame, two highly coveted players, turned out to be the biggest busts in NBA history.

Lakers drafted a player who no body knew about, this player was taken number 10 over all, and he turned out to be today's second best center. His name is Andrew Bynum. How many teams in that draft do you think kick their asses over not selecting him now?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #25
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
His point was that you've made predictions, some right some wrong. I made predictions, some right, some wrong. He's made predictions, some right, some wrong.

That is what scouting is all about also. You evaluate a person's strengths and weaknesses. If they are strong in many areas, does it guarantee an NBA successful career? Not always. Team's draft for 2 reasons:

1) Needs - You need rebounding? Draft a big man that was known for defense and rebounding. Need some quickness? Draft a point guard or a wing man that can get up and down.

2) Upside - Some teams have everything they need to play the game properly, some lack a star and hope they get a guy with good potential.

I don't see a team drafting someone because "Other teams say he's good, so we should join the mob and pursue".

To get back to my humble opinion, and bottom line, drafting in itself is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get. Darko and Kwame, two highly coveted players, turned out to be the biggest busts in NBA history.

Lakers drafted a player who no body knew about, this player was taken number 10 over all, and he turned out to be today's second best center. His name is Andrew Bynum. How many teams in that draft do you think kick their asses over not selecting him now?
Very good points Freak.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #26
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA.MJ&KB#1
Good for Green..I new someone was going to pick him up...
At least for 10 days.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #27
DKLaker

Quote:

Bynum is the poster child of the "SEE WE CAN DRAFT AN ALL-STAR" Lakers fans.......the truth is they were the blind squirrel finding a nut.
Sad that I've picked my draft players much better than they have.
BTW......I had Granger over Bynum in the draft, I still say that Granger has had the better career......but a healthy(Hopefully) Bynum should surpass him.
Comeon.....Darko was the idiot pick of the last 12 years....worse than Kwame.....based on real at the time evaluations compared to what was available........Melo had almost single handedly won the NCAA championship and was a can't miss NBA star.....Darko???? Euro kid???? HUGE GAMBLE....not worth the risk with that pick. Bottom line is we can't scout worth a crap and Buss doesn't give a FK.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #28
DKLaker

On a random side note......any of you kids ever hear of Oscar Schmidt, the Brazilian basketball legend??? He's a guy I really wished had played in the NBA, dude was a BIG TIME baller....look him up.....he averaged over 40 pts in one olympics.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:03 AM   #29
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Bynum is the poster child of the "SEE WE CAN DRAFT AN ALL-STAR" Lakers fans.......the truth is they were the blind squirrel finding a nut.
Sad that I've picked my draft players much better than they have.
BTW......I had Granger over Bynum in the draft, I still say that Granger has had the better career......but a healthy(Hopefully) Bynum should surpass him.
Comeon.....Darko was the idiot pick of the last 12 years....worse than Kwame.....based on real at the time evaluations compared to what was available........Melo had almost single handedly won the NCAA championship and was a can't miss NBA star.....Darko???? Euro kid???? HUGE GAMBLE....not worth the risk with that pick. Bottom line is we can't scout worth a crap and Buss doesn't give a FK.

Not really, Jim was actually adamant about drafting Bynum. Mitch wanted Sean May (where the hell is that guy anyways?) and Phil wanted Granger. Granger wouldn't have been a bad pick, I'll agree with you on that. Over Bynum though? No. Give the lakers, Jim specifically, some credit. They knew they were drafting Bynum for his potential. Nobody wastes a lottery pick not knowing what to do.

Darko was well known by everyone, because the amazing thing about him was he was dominating a professional basketball league in europe, at age 17!! Whats not to love about that? Everyone knew Carmelo would be a stud.

Luckily for the pistons, they were already a very good team at the time they drafted Darko. Didn't really need him to be anything honestly.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:31 AM   #30
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

All of the so called experts had Darko as a can't miss pick. The Pistons needed to draft big and already had Tayshaun at SF. There were people talking (before the draft) about how Darko should have went #1 over Lebron even. I don't really blame Joe D for that one. Honestly, Darko has been a much better player than Kwame. He can be a starter for a few teams and a solid back up on many. Kwame isn't even a solid back up. Darko is one of those guys who had quite a bit of talent, it's just his head wasn't all there. He was young and wasn't ready for the big move to the NBA yet. Because of that it really slowed down his growth as a player which makes him the mediocre guy that you see today.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: