Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
no pun intended
Mozart Basketball

Default Is the Dunk Contest really dying?

Turrible. That was the common reaction to today's Sprite Slam Dunk Contest. But I have to say that I wholeheartedly disagree.

Sure, we had plenty of dunk contests that amazed us that they dropped our jaws so far down to the ground that we needed to rape the replay button twentyfold. But over the last few years, there has always been complaints. It has either been about somebody getting robbed or that the contest sucked in general. But the latter is the more important part because that was what many thought about today.

Let's start with Kenny Smith. Yes, he was acting pretty cheesy out there. In fact, he might have been better off being the guest star in this week's Sesame Street. And maybe in that episode, The Number of the Day should be 10, because we had no idea that that was the number of steps you need to dunk. Anyhow, Smith did not have the microphone. He was pretty much the microphone, like NBA 2K's MC that sat on top of the backboard and couldn't stop jabbering and gibbering. Yes, he needed to shut up a little. Just a little.

Second, the format of the dunk contest. The elimination of the judge's table was made so that players would be less robbed, since many of the scores in previous years were deemed unfair. The voting system is more democratic, yet it could be as biased. But then again, the voting system has been going on for the last few years. The only problem was that there was only one elimination this time around- the end. This makes it less suspenseful, as well as less competitive. Watching two dunkers in the end duking it out for the title was better than four dunkers doing their own thing without any sense that they are actually competing with anyone. Overall, the format itself made the dunks seem less appealing.

And the most important reason why I find this dunk contest to have not appealed to many- the audience. They weren't bored with the dunks, because I have to admit that the level of difficulty of many of the dunks tonight were of high level, compared to that of previous years. Like for audiences at the comedy club, or maybe an audience anywhere else, the crowd is the central energy for excitement. If the audience was fired up, then the dunks would have been ten times more exciting, because exhilaration is contagious just like laughter (So maybe Kenny Smith was trying to fire up the crowd, but the problem was that he didn't fire them up the right way).

Nonetheless, I admit that I enjoyed the dunks themselves. There's only so much you can do with or without props, or with or without homages. The only problem was the order of the dunks. The second round was much better than the third round. If those rounds were reversed in actuality, then I think this would have been a much better dunk contest as an entirety. But in the end. it will always concern jumping over something, jumping with something, or jumping on something. And if you want you thought this dunk contest was the worst, then you clearly forgot about the 2010 dunk contest. Cheers.

Last edited by no pun intended : 02-26-2012 at 02:03 AM.
no pun intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:57 AM   #2
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Default Re: Is the Dunk Contest really dying?

Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
zizozain
hi AJ2k8

yes.

and fcuking Stern MUST leave .. 30 fcuking years are fcuking enough
zizozain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 AM   #4
mrpibb
101% Dr. Pepper

I agree. The crowd really sold this year short.

Any Orlando fans on this board want to explain what the ****'s up?
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
Gundress
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe

Gundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 AM   #6
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

The Dunk Contest is in fact dying, and it's the NBA who's killing it.

I never heard any reasoning released as to why they switched over to a stage performance. And I also never actually heard why they switched to only fan voting. You suggest it was due to people who were unhappy with judges, but I never heard that. My assumption is the fan voting was put into place by a marketing strategist who knows the buzz these days is to allow your fans to interact directly with the product with no sense of why this may or may not work.

Also, I don't particularly blame the Orlando crowd for the dunk contest. The crowd feeds off the dunkers, not vice versa. If anything, I applaud them for seeing through this charade. If I were there, even on good dunks, I would have withheld my applause out of protest for all the pre-dunk antics. It's been made clear over the years that fans respond to great dunks, legitimate energy from a player, and spontaneity. None of that was in existence tonight. One cannot expect a crowd to react with great ferver after a player finally struggles to make an alright dunk on his 8th attempt after uncomfortably holding a made-up conversation with Kenny Smith.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 AM   #7
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe

Best one ever.
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:06 AM   #8
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:16 AM   #9
Jameerthefear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpibb
I agree. The crowd really sold this year short.

Any Orlando fans on this board want to explain what the ****'s up?

Well from what I have heard from previous reviews of the arena, it doesn't really conduct crowd noise too well. A lot of older fans were saying the atmosphere isn't as intense as befor,e. Couple that with the contest sucking, old white people, and Orlando not being a huge sports town. And you get this.

Last edited by Jameerthefear : 02-26-2012 at 03:27 AM.
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #10
statman32
NBA Legend

No. We are spoiled by the few great dunk contests.

Go back to 1994. You had Isaiah Rider, Shawn Kemp, Robert Pack, Allen Houston, Antonio Davis, and James Robinson. Pack was 6'2, so him showing off his vertical was nice but nothing incredible. Then you had Allen Houston whose best dunk was bouncing off his head, which at the time, Barkley called the most creative dunk he has seen. Imagine if someone did that this year, I would expect lots of booing. Then you had Davis and Robinson who were just lame. Rider had some swag and power to his dunks, and would probably have won this years contest with those dunks. Kemp had swag but nothing that impressive.

Video of the highlights: (Keep in mind, we are not watching it in real time so we dont see the missed dunks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpGcjaG4MUU

Go watch videos from other contests, while keeping in mind that you are watching the HIGHLIGHTS. Not so impressive eh?
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Quotable
Kids at the park dunk on me

Easy way to fix the dunk contest is to just give a huge cash bonus to the winner. It isn't a serious or competitive event therefore it's boring. Make it for a 1Mm bonus and see what happens.
Quotable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:59 AM   #12
bluechox2
#knickstape

i agree with SAS that the stars have to perform, cant have a bunch of nobody's in it
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:04 AM   #13
Hammertime
Our Enes is bigger

Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:05 AM   #14
DRose1899
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
The Dunk Contest is in fact dying, and it's the NBA who's killing it.

I never heard any reasoning released as to why they switched over to a stage performance. And I also never actually heard why they switched to only fan voting. You suggest it was due to people who were unhappy with judges, but I never heard that. My assumption is the fan voting was put into place by a marketing strategist who knows the buzz these days is to allow your fans to interact directly with the product with no sense of why this may or may not work.

Also, I don't particularly blame the Orlando crowd for the dunk contest. The crowd feeds off the dunkers, not vice versa. If anything, I applaud them for seeing through this charade. If I were there, even on good dunks, I would have withheld my applause out of protest for all the pre-dunk antics. It's been made clear over the years that fans respond to great dunks, legitimate energy from a player, and spontaneity. None of that was in existence tonight. One cannot expect a crowd to react with great ferver after a player finally struggles to make an alright dunk on his 8th attempt after uncomfortably holding a made-up conversation with Kenny Smith.
I don't get it.

Random dunk contest in streetball tourney always exciting, dunk contest in college can be good as well, dunk contest in italy or wherever was sick as well. yet NBA Dunk contest most of times is so shitty lately
Whhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyy?
DRose1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #15
Haymaker
College superstar

Slam dunk contests used to be a good opportunity for above average players to get known and sometimes get sponsors and shit. But it seems like nobody cares nowadays, and they see it as a side-show.
Haymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: