Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 06-23-2006, 03:33 PM   #46
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
First of all he was a better college player than any of those guys.

He wasn't a better college player than Morrison, at least. However, being a good college player is not the issue here.

Quote:
Second of all, a 7 footer putting up 9/7/2 on 53% shooting on a playoff team is showing something.

9/7/2 is okay, but not for a top pick. Compare that to recent big men like Yao, Amare, Howard, or Okafor. All of those guys made bigger impacts their first season, and Yao and Amare did it for teams that were better than the Bucks this past season. The Bucks were a playoff team, but they had a losing record and would not have made the playoffs at all in the West.

If the top pick this season averages 9 and 7 in close to 30 minutes a game, he'll be a disappointment. Again, Bogut isn't a bad player. He's just not good in comparison to what I expect out of a top pick.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:43 PM   #47
adamcz
Bucks fan

adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool

Bogut won't be as good as Yao, Howard, and Amare, but none of those guys are in this year's draft. I don't think they're very relevent to a conversation about Bogut vs Bargnani/Aldridge/Morrison

Okafor... he put up 15/10/1 his rookie year, but he played 5 more minutes per game than Bogut, didn't start next to a 7' rebounder, and took twice as many shots. He shot 6 percentage points worse, and he won 18 games. His stats might look better on the surface, but I don't think a lot of GM's would choose him over Bogut right now. Some would, but not the majority.

PS - How many times have you seen Bogut play? He wasn't on national TV this year except during the rookie game, where he looked amazing, and the playoffs.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:54 PM   #48
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

9 Points, 7 Rebounds on 53% shooting is high quality performance from your rookie big man. There is an adjustment period, and too operate so efficiently in your first year shows that Bogut will become a very good big man in the league.

As a fan of Toronto, I would love if Andrew Bogut were available in this draft, I think it would be an easy pick for Bryan Colangelo, as it stands now, I think we are trying to trade down so we don't have to select Andrea Bargnani at the #1 overall selection. I don't think such a problem presents itself if Bogut is still in the draft this year.

The kid is a remarkable talent, has a great personality and attitude, and plays the game with a passion. I am a really big fan of Andrew Bogut, though I don't really get to watch him very much because the Bucks are not televised nationally, I still am a large fan, and expect great things from the Aussie.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #49
scipio
I hit open 5-footers

scipio has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
PS - How many times have you seen Bogut play? He wasn't on national TV this year except during the rookie game, where he looked amazing, and the playoffs.

Well, I saw the four Pacers-Bucks games that were televised here. Not a huge sample, but it's something. I saw some of the Pistons/Bucks series as well.

Quote:
Bogut won't be as good as Yao, Howard, and Amare, but none of those guys are in this year's draft. I don't think they're very relevent to a conversation about Bogut vs Bargnani/Aldridge/Morrison

I think the players I mentioned were relevant, as they were the most recent big men selected at the top of the draft. Amare was 9th overall, but he was rookie of the year and helped his team to the playoffs in a much tougher conference.

Howard and Okafor are particularly relevant to this because their draft class was considered weak. Even in a weak draft, there are players out there are generally players who can be consistent All Stars availiable (the 2000 draft with K Mart at the top is probably the most prominent exception, and I certainly don't see this draft as being that poor).

The point I was attempting to make with all this is that just because some say this draft is weak does not mean that Bogut is worth a top 2 pick. I'm willing to guarantee that there are multiple players in this draft who will have better careers than Bogut, and teams who evaluate talent well should be able to discern who those players are. Bryan Colangelo has shown that he has that ability to find talent, so I think it would be irrational for him to trade away the top pick for a guy like Bogut.
scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:40 PM   #50
bonez26
Local High School Star

bonez26 has an OK reputation so far

Colangelo would never take Bogut over the #1. Bargnani in the future will be a better prospect. As well we got a guy to plug the C position in Rasho. Villy and Bosh will take care of the scoring. This wouldnever happen Colangelo is way too smart to make this move. The top five pick in this draft would easily help us more now than Bogut. Aldridge,Bargnani, Gay, Morrison or Marcus Williams...now if we had 5, 6 or seven then yes.
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #51
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonez26
Colangelo would never take Bogut over the #1. Bargnani in the future will be a better prospect. As well we got a guy to plug the C position in Rasho. Villy and Bosh will take care of the scoring. This wouldnever happen Colangelo is way too smart to make this move. The top five pick in this draft would easily help us more now than Bogut. Aldridge,Bargnani, Gay, Morrison or Marcus Williams...now if we had 5, 6 or seven then yes.

I think you are underrating Bogut, but I don't think the key to building a championship team is to have your center being a guy that was just "plugged" in there, you want a player who was made and built on that championship team to be the center. Championship teams don't have plugs, they have guys who excel at their respective positions. I believe that Bogut will be a guy who excels at his position, we are going nowhere if we believe that Rasho at center will be able to take us to the next level.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:00 PM   #52
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
Do you really think the Raptors would say "no" if we called them up and Offered Bogut for the #1? I don't believe that for half a second. Maybe it's because I've never seen Bargnani play, but Bogut's a true center.

Id say no, draft Lamarcus Aldridge, and be excited as hell.

Lamarcus is going to be a far, far better pro than Bogut.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:23 PM   #53
Twiens
lakers/raptors

Twiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat coolTwiens is considered somewhat cool

Darko is worth the ______ pick?
Twiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:45 PM   #54
funkylikemonkey
Football In The Groin

funkylikemonkey has an OK reputation so far

Darko is worth the 7th pick in the draft

Nenad Krstic is worth the _ pick?
funkylikemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #55
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles berg
Id say no, draft Lamarcus Aldridge, and be excited as hell.

Lamarcus is going to be a far, far better pro than Bogut.

The Toronto Raptors seem to have no interest in Aldridge despite him being good friends with All-Star Chris Bosh and impressing the Brass of the Raptors during his workouts. I guess he doesn't fit what Colangelo is looking for.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:55 PM   #56
dak121
College superstar

dak121 is considered somewhat cooldak121 is considered somewhat cool

Krstic is worth the 4th pick.

Jason Richardson is worth the _ pick?
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 09:59 PM   #57
Big_D_62
I brick open layups

Big_D_62 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
Krstic is worth the 4th pick.

Jason Richardson is worth the _ pick?

id say jason richardson is worth the 3rd or 4th pick

gilbert arenas is worth_ pick
Big_D_62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #58
browntown
National High School Star

browntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebrowntown is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Gilbert is worth 2nd pick.

Once again someone reply lol, Ricky Davis is worth ___ pick.
browntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 10:22 PM   #59
Darius
Good college starter

Darius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat coolDarius is considered somewhat cool

Wow there are some terrible comparisons in this thread... people overrating the draft like crazy.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:09 PM   #60
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool

I reckon, a guy like Ricky Davis is probably as good as the best players in this draft. So if you're better than ricky davis you should be going 1. Guys saying Gilbert, Kobe, Pierce not go 1 in this draft, which player would you take over them.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: