Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-10-2007, 04:01 PM   #46
JordanPippenRodman
Banned

JordanPippenRodman has no real reputation yet.

I bet Webber will respond well with whatever new team picks him up. He was used to winning. He went from a great Kings team, for many years, to a God Awful 76er squad. It was probably like doing a stint in prison. Especially, when you realize he was stuck in the city of "Brotherly Love...yeah right." This idiot fan base booed McNabb on Draft Day. I wouldn't mind the Bulls picking him up if Paxson and Skiles thinks he can make the cut.
JordanPippenRodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:09 PM   #47
FPower
Local High School Star

FPower has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Zaza
...as a sidenote, a buyout is the single dumbest thing a team can do.

Not always, and I'd say not in this case. Sure 5 million dollars isn't a ton in NBA terms, but it's still 5 million dollars. Think of it this way, if Webber was a free agent, and you were the sixers GM, would you sign Webber for 2.5 million a year for the next two years? He'd be cheap, but I still wouldn't do it because he makes no sense with regards to the current direction of the team.

Now, the people who say they should keep his contract in the hopes of trading it next year for a disgruntled superstar...there's definitely some truth there. But I get the feeling that NBA GMs don't like keeping disgruntled players like Webber around while they're trying to rebuild.

Of course, if you want to be a hardass GM you simply tell C-Webb to give back 10-15 million if he wants out his contract. Otherwise he can rot on the bench for two years, or get the Tim Thomas treatment when Tim was in Chicago. I think more NBA GMs should take hard lines like this. I guess they're worried about keeping up good player relations, but I think they overdo it. NBA GMs get screwed all the time when they overpay players, but when these same overpaid players become untradeable as a result, they have a tendency to expect a buyout so they can continue their career somewhere more enjoyable. (I'm looking in Alonzo Mourning's direction) Screw you, there's one downside to making sick, sick amounts of money, just one. It makes you untradeable. So unless you're willing to give back a big chunk of change, you can roll around in your millions to offset the suffering of playing on a team going nowhere.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:13 PM   #48
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
This idiot fan base booed McNabb on Draft Day

this idiot blames the whole fan base for booing McNabb when it was a small group of idiots....
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:17 PM   #49
JordanPippenRodman
Banned

JordanPippenRodman has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
this idiot blames the whole fan base for booing McNabb when it was a small group of idiots....

quite a few writers and fans on the internet took their shots at McNabb just like the ones in MSG did on Draft Day.
JordanPippenRodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:18 PM   #50
Joey Zaza
Local High School Star

Joey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat coolJoey Zaza is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
4. What would Joey ZaZa's do?

Tell him to play. I think at the end of the day, a guy like Webber just plays. you can explain to him "We cannot trade you because of your high price tag and limited game, but if you go out play D, hit shots and make passes, a good team will want you and we can make a deal +++ you play hard and make a deal possible, you get a trade veto"

or else give him Tim Thomas treatment, i.e. go home, go rehab, get out.

costs about the same money and I still have a HUGE expiring contract and a good ball players that'll be worth something to somebody.

+ since I'm the sixers and content to lose, who cares if he's a bad in a game.
Joey Zaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:23 PM   #51
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

Rab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this boardRab is popular on this board

I agree with Joey, I think the Sixers should hang on to him until the end of the year. Even if he doesn't play well, that's a huge expirer they can give to someone eventually. If they buy him out, they still have to pay him for two more years no matter what, and they're only saving 5 mill if I remember correctly.

If they bought him out this season, and another team picked him up, could they still use his contract in a deal even though he plays somewhere else? The Sixers will still own his contract, so I'm not sure how that works.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #52
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
quite a few writers and fans on the internet took their shots at McNabb just like the ones in MSG did on Draft Day.

Some Philly fans wanted Ricky Williams but only that group of idiots went up there and booed McNabb..

Philly fans had nothing against McNabb
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:32 PM   #53
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far

im looking forward to watching CWEBB wherever he goes. at 22 million a year he' s a bum. at the vets minimum tho? he's a steal.

it'll be nice to see him in a positive light again. he just needs to learn to be a non-star if he truly wants to go to a contender.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM   #54
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has not been impressing people

The Sixers save $10 million in salary, and $10 million against the luxury tax over 2 years.

Nevertheless, they are still throwing away a ton of money.

They ought to bite the bullet this year, keep him, and then next year swap him out.

Maybe KG will be available. They would have CWebb's contract and some young players and picks to swap out.

Of course Kevin McHale is too stupid to rebuild the Wolves and allow KG to go somewhere else.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #55
NoGunzJustSkillz

NoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNoGunzJustSkillz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default .....

Quote:
Some Philly fans wanted Ricky Williams but only that group of idiots went up there and booed McNabb..

Actually most Eagle fans wanted Ricky Williams including the Mayor.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:46 PM   #56
nerds
I hit open layups

nerds has an OK reputation so far
Default c-web

the nets acquiring webber is probably the most interesting scenario, why?

1) the nets need a front court presence who an actually play the game!
2) webber loves to start and the nets can offer this!

the guy may have lost a step here and there but he would be a perfect fir for the nets, especially with jason kidd running the show!

maybe he can move in with kidd, i hear he needs a room mate!
nerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:43 PM   #57
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

I'd be very very excited if he went to the Nets. I think that is definately the best fit for him, if he doesn't go back to Sac. The Nets run an offense that would allow him to be a distributor out of the high post, plus they really need his rebounding.

But I seriously doubt we'll see him go to a team like that where he still probably wont win a title. He'll probably leach on to someone like the Spurs or Mavs. That would be sad though, because I think he can still be good enough to be a 3rd option or so on a team. But I think he'll be in the black and silver unis.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:50 PM   #58
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Y2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected posterY2Gezee is a pretty well-respected poster

Oh I forgot about the Bulls, that would be a good fit too. However, no way Stiles puts up with Webber
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #59
Xplicit
Great young streetballer

Xplicit has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

Philly fans had nothing against McNabb

I wouldnt call those fans idiots. Like someone said, just about everyone in Philly wanted Ricky at the time. He dominated in college and RB was a huge void..
Xplicit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #60
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

He'll end up with the Nets or the Knicks.

Book it. I wouldn't mind him over here in new york but i'd be pissed if he played in new jersey.

Speaking of the Knicks..Game Time Tonight!
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: