Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here
Default How Lakers Been Scouting in 2012...Signs of Dooming Failures ahead?

Signs of Dooming Failures coming to the Lakers?

Quote:
Shedding some light on Jim Buss’ role in the Laker front office, and his buddy ‘Chaz’

Last week, CBS Sports' Ken Berger introduced us to an elusive Lakers scout named "Chaz," who apparently was hired by the team because of his buddy-buddy relationship with Jim Buss, the oft-criticized son of Lakers owner Jerry Buss. "A good guy," Berger quoted one NBA front office employee as saying about Chaz, and "great bartender." For a team that just decimated its own coaching staff in spite of a new potential $3 billion television deal, this was hardly the most warming news for its fans, while NBA followers on Twitter cackled far and wide about its newest meme named "Chaz."
A week later, longtime go-to Lakers scribe Roland Lazenby is dishing on ******HH about the man who is helping guide the Lakers through their post-Phil Jackson era. And though Chaz (er, "Charles Osbourne") wouldn't agree to speak with Roland on record, by all accounts Chaz is a nice guy that is working very hard as one-third of the scouting staff (the other two are populated by Buss sons) of the league's most profitable franchise.
And that's about it. Whoa, boy. Enjoy Kobe Bryant and those two fantastic 7-footers while you can, Laker fans, because the next batch of acquisitions may have Buss-stank all over it.
Here's part of Lazenby's tactful account at *********, just one take from a column you need to read:
But the friend points out that Chaz, who lives in San Diego and commutes to Lakers offices, is working really hard to become an excellent scout.
Chaz explained to friends that he's really busy this year because Jim Buss laid off the scouting staff last summer that had produced so much Lakers success over the years. Those layoffs included Ronnie Lester, the trusted Lakers executive who had spent years helping to populate the roster with top talent.
Because of the layoffs, Chaz tells friends he's seen more than 50 college games and works hard at sitting courtside and filling in the scouting reports for the Lakers.
Lazenby goes on to point out that the Lakers have defended shifting most of their focus onto the college game because the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement makes eschewing expensive veterans a necessary evil, and that grabbing expert college players is at a premium in this era.
And they're also full of it. As is often the case when Jim Buss is laying things down.
In his column, Lazenby quotes a 14-year Sports Illustrated piece on Jeanie Buss that I had forgotten all about, which includes this unfortunate line of thinking from Jim Buss that we're guessing (based on last summer's firings) he hasn't strayed too far from:
Yet Jimmy thinks scouting is vastly overrated. "Evaluating basketball talent is not too difficult," he says. "If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate prospects, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the pro scouts."
That comment mystifies [then-GM Jerry] West. "I have great admiration for what our scouts do," he says. "If the job is so easy, then why do some teams always have more success than others?"
That's just the tip of the iceberg, Mr. West. Where to start, when a man thinks that a random sample of 10 fans out of a sports bar could scout for an NBA team? Well, according to Jim Buss, you hire one with a background in horse racing to help navigate one of the proudest, most profitable, and successful NBA franchises of the last 32 years.

Jim: Scouting is so easy even caveman can do it.

Jim likes to take the place where Donald Sterling has been in the past (Throne of Failure).

If this is what really happened...then it has been one heck of overpaid sloppy job.

They say even ugly people look attractive after 10 beers. So if Jimmy ask 10 drunk fans about prospect, they probably say all are Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant level.

more details:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...H_WrfyJiO8vLYF

Last edited by kobesabi : 03-01-2012 at 07:48 PM.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: How Lakers Been Scouting in 2012...Signs of Failures Dooming ahead?

If this is true, it is pretty sad.

I talk to bball fans all the time, and I must say, laker fans especially can be some of the stupidest ones. They're too focused and attracted at how shiny the brass trophies are when the lakers get them.

All kidding aside I hope this isn't really what happened. Not all fans can be pro scouts. There are too many things to factor. We will still have to wait it out and see what kinds of moves will be made, and what kind of decisions take place.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: How Lakers Been Scouting in 2012...Signs of Dooming Failures ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
Signs of Dooming Failures coming to the Lakers?

Jim: Scouting is so easy even caveman can do it.

Jim likes to take the place where Donald Sterling has been in the past (Throne of Failure).

If this is what really happened...then it has been one heck of overpaid sloppy job.

They say even ugly people look attractive after 10 beers. So if Jimmy ask 10 drunk fans about prospect, they probably say all are Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant level.

more details:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...H_WrfyJiO8vLYF

Same thing I have been saying......

Hahaha.........IN BEFORE LAKERFREAK CAN ATTEMPT TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR JIMMY AND OUR.........AHEM.........SCOUTING DEPARTMENT.

DAMNIT he posted while I was writing this....hahaha.
What.....not trying to defend them?????????????????/

Last edited by DKLaker : 03-01-2012 at 10:02 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Same thing I have been saying......

Hahaha.........IN BEFORE LAKERFREAK CAN ATTEMPT TO MAKE EXCUSES FOR JIMMY AND OUR.........AHEM.........SCOUTING DEPARTMENT.

DAMNIT he posted while I was writing this....hahaha.
What.....not trying to defend them?????????????????/

lol I'll be fair, I said "IF" its true, then its bad.

Still have yet to see a link though :)
Old 03-01-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

Bro, I told you this stuff a long time ago.....and yeah it's true.
Jimmy and his horse racing/drinking buddy are running things.
Jimmy wasn't a bad horse trainer......in fact i won quite a bit of money off his horses. I loved it that his racing silks sported the purple and gold.........but as for running a basketball team and scouting he is clueless
Old 03-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Bro, I told you this stuff a long time ago.....and yeah it's true.
Jimmy and his horse racing/drinking buddy are running things.
Jimmy wasn't a bad horse trainer......in fact i won quite a bit of money off his horses. I loved it that his racing silks sported the purple and gold.........but as for running a basketball team and scouting he is clueless

Well, just because someone is known for being good at horce racing does not mean he sucks at everything else. Maybe these guys are very good basketball fans, and know how to tell talent, just as you are a basketball fan, and so am I, and I think we both recognize talent well. Am I right?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:46 PM   #7
Bosnian Sajo
(-_-)(X_X)BB(9_9)(^_^)

Bosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBosnian Sajo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I hate this guys guts...
Bosnian Sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
DKLaker

Quote:
Well, just because someone is known for being good at horce racing does not mean he sucks at everything else. Maybe these guys are very good basketball fans, and know how to tell talent, just as you are a basketball fan, and so am I, and I think we both recognize talent well. Am I right?

You sound like Jimmy....lol.

There is a HUGE difference at how a typical basketball fan looks at a game/players and how a scout or a coach looks at a player/game......I mean it's like night and day. Sure some things are very obvious and some or not.....most things are not. Most fans are the shot went in or the shot didn't, they don't look at all the things that happened to set the play up, away from the ball.....fans generally follow the ball....coaches/scouts see the whole floor, take note of subtle things, even stuff like a guy who boxed out perfectly on a play, the ball goes in but had it missed he could've gotten an easy layup.....I don't want to write a book....at least not on here...lol.

To think anyone can scout is to think anyone can coach
Old 03-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
...but as for running a basketball team and scouting he is clueless
Jimmy is "horsing" around with the Lakers -that took his dad decades to setup. I hate to see it fall apart like horse sh*t.

It looks like Mayan 2012 calendar is correct. Jeanie should run the Lakers, not Jimmy and his drinking leeches.

Last edited by kobesabi : 03-01-2012 at 11:20 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:
If this is true, it is pretty sad.

Not all fans can be pro scouts. There are too many things to factor.
I agree.

Quote:
I think by Jimmy's thinking...everyone or ANY 10 posters in ISH bar (general forum) can do just as good scouting as pro scouting or any Jerry West had without any basketball skill...just talk alot qualify to be his scout in his mind.

Last edited by kobesabi : 03-01-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

Quote:

http://H****H***.com/columns/lazenby...chaz-the-scout

http://articles.businessinsider.com/...r-front-office

Last edited by kobesabi : 03-01-2012 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Misinformed article written by a guy who had his Lakers credentials yanked in 2010 for writing a scathing article that ripped Kobe the day AFTER the Lakers won the title. As they say Persona non Grata in El Segundo. Last year Cuban had him booted from the Mavs locker room in the first round for trying to bait Jason Terry into a war of words after Terry took issue with an article he had written the day before. Dwyer's a hasbeen with a fountain pen. Also take notice of who he quotes, Lazenby, a guy who's been on the outside looking in and bitter about it for years.

Stop and reread this article and ask why it was written. There's nothing in there that Berg didn't report though Berg was certainly more eloquent. Then look at his source which is a Lazenby article, Dwyer didn't even bother to think for himself, he's just regifting others work. This is a dog pile article, sloppy thirds on an old whore. Look at the caption under the picture which does nothing but take a childish jab at best at Buss

You guys need to learn your sports writers and who to believe and not to buy into. Like I said after the Berg article Osbourne is a Billy Bertka hire.

Last edited by BØBØ : 03-01-2012 at 11:57 PM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:06 AM   #13
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Misinformed article written by a guy who had his Lakers credentials yanked in 2010 for writing a scathing article that ripped Kobe the day AFTER the Lakers won the title. As they say Persona non Grata in El Segundo. Last year Cuban had him booted from the Mavs locker room in the first round for trying to bait Jason Terry into a war of words after Terry took issue with an article he had written the day before. Dwyer's a hasbeen with a fountain pen. Also take notice of who he quotes, Lazenby, a guy who's been on the outside looking in and bitter about it for years.

Stop and reread this article and ask why it was written. There's nothing in there that Berg didn't report though Berg was certainly more eloquent. Then look at his source which is a Lazenby article, Dwyer didn't even bother to think for himself, he's just regifting others work. This is a dog pile article, sloppy thirds on an old whore. Look at the caption under the picture which does nothing but take a childish jab at best at Buss

You guys need to learn your sports writers and who to believe and not to buy into. Like I said after the Berg article Osbourne is a Billy Bertka hire.
Thanks for the info. Thanks too about the info re: Moser and Bertka being in the scouting team. Where the heck is PR manager John Black to straighten these things out. What is true. Who is making the decisions. Who is scouting in Europe?
I look at teams like Miami, they seem to find players that really developed into fine players. Daequan Cook, Dorrel Wright, Joel Anthony, Haslem, Rasual Butler etc etc.
Then theres San Antonio with Udrih, Bonner, Neal, not to mention Manu and Parker etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi
Jimmy is "horsing" around with the Lakers -that took his dad decades to setup. I hate to see it fall apart like horse sh*t.

It looks like Mayan 2012 calendar is correct. Jeanie should run the Lakers, not Jimmy and his drinking leeches.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
Who is making the decisions. Who is scouting in Europe?

Bertka is the head of scouting for now.

Lakers buy a ton of video from Elias Sports and other houses as do most teams now. They have a state of the art video room that would make a few new rooms blush. In 5 years teams will hardly have feet on the ground for scouting, the video is just as good. Plus with all the rules in place for tampering on the pro level, even in the D league and as much trouble as college kids get for even looking at a scout sideways there's no reason to be there anymore.

Europe is headed up by Ettore Messina 4 or 5 time Euroleague championship winning coach, Euroleague coach of the year too I believe. He's not a Phil Jackson but in Europe he's looked upon in the same light. This man knows his basketball and between him Moser and Bertka the Lakers have a first rate scouting department.

Why the Lakers don't respond is simple. They never have and never will respond to peons. Dwyer is a blogger. And think back when was the last time you can remember the Lakers setting the record straight? Only people they respond to is when one of their own steps or speaks out of line like when Kobe spouted off about Pau recently as an example.

If the Lakers started responding to every false rumor or poorly written article they'd have no time to play basketball.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: