Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #1
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Rather Shocking Euroleague News

http://www.euroleague.net/euroleague...s/i/94796/6330

Euroleague Commercial Assets Board approves Financial Fair play for Euroleague

ECA Assembly Board in Barcelona, 2012

A Commission formed by Mr. Salvador Alemany, president of the Financial Commission of Euroleague Basketball, and Jean-Bayle Lespitau, former president of French league and Honorary President of ULEB, Mr. Massimo Coccia legal council to Euroleague Basketball and Mr. Jan Pommer, comissioner of the Beko Basketball Bundesliga (BBL) of Germany, presented a framework to establish principles of greater financial stability and fair play in its competition by unifying the criteria used by and applied to participating clubs.

Led by these experts, Euroleague Basketball is seeking to strengthen principles that ensure good financial practices to protect the integrity and smooth running of the competition, as well as to increase the long-term financial health of its participating clubs. Euroleague Basketball and its clubs understand that the global objective of this project is to increase the stability of the competition, through the optimization of management methods and budgetary control.

The main criterion that falls under these principles is the break-even rule, which calls for clubs to commit to not spending more than what they generate in economic activity.

The overall project includes increasing financial uniformity and aligning accounting practices among clubs participating in the top European competition to ensure the transparency and effective processing of information in the documentation presented to the organization as well as to their national leagues. The project also seeks to stipulate regulations in accordance with the political, legal and regulatory frameworks already established on a European Union level and already incorporated into the financial frameworks of other sporting institutions such as UEFA. The follow up and monitoring of documentation will be overseen by the Financial Control Commission, presided over by Mr. Salvador Alemany. The Financial Fair play rules work on concepts, based on budgeted economic performance indicators that have been extracted from the information submitted by clubs, include a minimum budget for those clubs that participate in the Turkish Airlines Euroleague competition; a maximum loss allowed over a three-year period; a limit to player expenses and shareholder´s contributions related to the overall budget; and a common approach in the treatment of some investment write-offs and in the market value of some sponsorship and advertising revenues.

Mr. Alemany indicated the importance of this project for the future of the clubs and for the future of the sport. "Euroleague Basketball is fully aware that some points on the agenda will be difficult to transition to, and it is important to understand that it is not about the shareholder´s who have invested, and are still willing to invest in the sport, this is about an economic structure and that, the limitations and concepts presented are more than reasonable," Mr. Alemany said. "With regards to the fair play issues, it is absolutely indisputable. The sporting industry has transitioned from a certain amateurism in the management of club budgets. To be able to move forward, clubs who want to belong to serious institutions need to have higher levels of control. This has to be self-control and a control that comes from the greater whole. This is why this project and the system that it puts in play are so important. Clubs that participate in the top European competition need to have solid and good reputations. This good reputation has to be seen as a whole. The development of this reputation means that clubs need to be owners of their future and be willing to make the necessary efforts to find that financial stability, which clearly will involve a level of sacrifice."

Wednesday, March 07, 2012 - Euroleague.net
Euroleague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Fiba basketball has decent reputation
Default Re: Rather Shocking Euroleague News

So what does this mean ? What will be min budget allowed ?
Fiba basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:58 AM   #3
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Euroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected posterEuroleague is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiba basketball
So what does this mean ? What will be min budget allowed ?

I don't know, but the fact that teams will have to spend less than they earn will totally end some clubs. Just as an example, that's basically the end of CSKA.

On the minimum budget, the lowest budget now is $5 million, so maybe that will be the minimum. If they make it higher, like say, $10 million or something, then that might be it for clubs like Partizan also.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
chains5000
From Out Of Nowhere

chains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechains5000 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

About f*cking time, I'm sick of sport clubs not being treated as normal businesses.
chains5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Its not fair . So what if club doesnt have a lot money if they have good results . Partizan had better results than Efes in last years but Partizan might not play anymore in Euroleague because of money .
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #6
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chains5000
About f*cking time, I'm sick of sport clubs not being treated as normal businesses.

I want to know what they mean. They are saying clubs will only be allowed to spend what they earn. Do they mean net or gross?

For example, Olympiacos and Panathinaikos supposedly had net revenues of around 7-8 million euros. If they mean the gross revenue, then that is a lot bigger obviously.

If they mean the NET revenue..................

then that means that Olympiacos that has a 21.5 million euros budget this year must have 7-8 million budget under the new rules. Panathinaikos that has 24 million euros budget must have 7-8 million euros budget under the new rules.

The entire rosters would be lost and replaced by who knows what. I really don't understand this move.

It will be great for clubs like the French clubs, Galatasaray, Cantu, Valencia, Rytas, Zalgiris, Brose, Baskonia, Bayern, ALBA, Bilbao, Maccabi, Malaga and clubs of this type.

It will be HORRIBLE for clubs like Khimky, Siena, CSKA, PAO, Olympiacos, Partizan and so forth, maybe even being the end of them.

Under this system, you will have potentially, I think, a Euroleague full of German and French clubs.

This is going to definitely lower the level of Euroleague. It will be taking 2-3 steps down in level with such a move. And big clubs like Barca, Real, Efes, Fener, Olympiacos, PAO, CSKA..........I can see them wanting to move into Stern's proposed NBA Europe division easily under this new system. Because now it means it has no advantage to have 3 times the budget of say Bilbao, since the new rules won't allow you to do so.

Also, this will be further eliminating the Balkans clubs. It could put Partizan right in the same category as Aris, which are already there due to previous decisions of Euroleague. It's almost like they intentionally want such clubs gone from the competition.

Last edited by Euroleague : 03-11-2012 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Is there a chance that this could mean that every team will have the same budget ?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Is there a chance that this could mean that every team will have the same budget ?

I don't know. But what would be the point of that?
Old 03-13-2012, 01:42 AM   #9
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
I don't know. But what would be the point of that?
Well if min and max budgets be the same ( lets say 15-20 mil ) than level of basketball will stay the same
Old 03-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
Well if min and max budgets be the same ( lets say 15-20 mil ) than level of basketball will stay the same

If they did that the attendance and TV ratings will go way down also. Look at Barca, perfect example. CSKA too. Big clubs that there fans don't even really care about at all.

Then clubs that have great fan support but won't be there because they could not afford the budget. Either way it makes no sense.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #11
Fiba basketball
I feel devotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroleague
If they did that the attendance and TV ratings will go way down also. Look at Barca, perfect example. CSKA too. Big clubs that there fans don't even really care about at all.

Then clubs that have great fan support but won't be there because they could not afford the budget. Either way it makes no sense.
I think Euroleague should do what Obradovic said ( not sure if he said this but something like it) . Every year 24 teams would play against each others and best 8 teams would go to playoffs , after that teams that played in Euroleague just play playoffs of their domestic leagues . What do you think aboute this idea ?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #12
Euroleague
I Feel Devotion

Quote:
I think Euroleague should do what Obradovic said ( not sure if he said this but something like it) . Every year 24 teams would play against each others and best 8 teams would go to playoffs , after that teams that played in Euroleague just play playoffs of their domestic leagues . What do you think aboute this idea ?

I like it, but I would increase it to 32 teams.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: