Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 03-05-2012, 08:19 PM   #1
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation
Default The 2 moves I'd make

Obviously, the Lakers are waiting out the Dwight situation, in the hopes that Orlando calls desperate to deal on the 15th, a deal is struck (at our price), and Dwight agrees to sign an extension. (Then perhaps a call to the Nets about DWill?).

This is highly unlikely however. The Lakers will not deal Bynum or Gasol unless Dwight commits long term, and he has said from the beginning he wants to be a FA. All these scenarios I keep seeing keep ignoring this simple fact. The Lakers will not trade for Dwight if he is determined to become a FA, and he is. But I do think it's prudent to wait until the situation plays out, so I understand Mitch and JBuss's approach.

Here are the 2 moves I like as our plan B:

1. Trade McRoberts, Kopono and one of the first rounders for Ramon Sessions.

2A. Trade part of the TPE and possibly the other first rounder (or a future pick) to New Orleans for Trevor Ariza.
2B. The TPE and a pick for Beasley would do nicely as well.

All of these are realistic and achievable.
The Cavs want picks, and Sessions is gone at the end of the year, plus McRoberts would help and Kopono expires.
The Hornets also want to shed contracs and get picks.
The Wolves would also do this deal for Beas.

The Lakers biggest weakness is our foot speed, we are the slowest team in the NBA. We get few, if any, easy buckets. We are a halfcourt team that has trouble scoring at times. Subbing Sessions and Ariza for DFish and MWP in the starting lineup would solve this problem.

I opt for Ariza over Beasley beacuse of his D. It is simply superb. He can guard 1's, 2's and 3's. Remember a few years back in the playoffs, he shut down CP3. Last year he pretty much shut down Kobe (playing for the Hornets this time). Trev's D also leads to easy baskets. He is so long and quick, he always jumps passing lanes leading to fast break points, remember those? He was also the perfect complimentary player when he was here (he shot what, like 48% from 3 in the playoff run?).

I think Sessions and Ariza would be the perfect complimentary players for our Big 3. We would improve both offensively and defensively, and our bench would also improve.

I'd start to lock in a rotaion for the 2nd unit too.
Blake or Fish, GLoc, MWP or Barnes, Murphy and Gasol as the anchor would be able to score points. I'd keep Pau out there when Bynum is off the court, let him be the primary scoring threat on that 2nd unit. Pau is more effective when he is the primary post player, look at years past for proof, so his minutes and leadership of the 2nd unit would help to justify his price tag. (I'm not saying we make him a 2nd stringer, he would still start, I'm just saying we should always have Pau on the court when Drew is off the court, so we always have a post scorer at the 5, and Pau is most effective closer to the basket).

I know MWP just palyed a great game against the Heat, but seriously, can we count on that every night? I wish we could but all year our 1 and 3 play is what has held us back, and these moves address those problems with realistic solutions.

PS. I know Lamar melted down, but I would love to have him back in Purple and Gold. I know it couldn't happen until next year. But LO at a vet min. or even the mini MLE would be epic.

First team:
PG- Sessions
SG- Kobe
SF- Ariza
PF- Pau
C- Drew

Second team:
PG- Blake
SG- G Loc
SF- MWP
PF- LO
C- Pau

Thoughts and comments?
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #2
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The 2 moves I'd make

To be Honest, I have not watched a lot of games that Sessions played so I can't really have subjective opinions about his play. I checked his stats this year and try to figure out why many Lakers fans are attracted to him.
10 pts, 5 rebs at 40% 3pt shooting. Not bad but not that great either but do you know who had similar stats a few years back?
Steve Blake's average at Portland was 11 pts, 5 assists at 42% from the 3pt area, 4 yrs ago. I said it before and ill say it again, If we have Sessions right now and Blake is at Cleveland, not a few of us would be screaming at this board and demand that we trade for Steve.
BTW, Sessions career FG%from the 3pt line is 29% in 294 games.
I like Ariza but Im not sure he would be a significant upgrade over Barnes.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 03-06-2012 at 02:13 AM.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:57 PM   #3
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
To be Honest, I have not watched a lot of games that Sessions played so I can't really have subjective opinions about his play. I checked his stats this year and try to figure out why many Lakers fans are attracted to him.
10 pts, 5 rebs at 40% 3pt shooting. Not bad but not that great either but do you know who had similar stats a few years back?
Steve Blake's average at Portland was 11 pts, 5 assists at 42% from the 3pt area, 4 yrs ago. I said it before and ill say it again, If we have Sessions right now and Blake is at Cleveland, not a few of us would be screaming at this board and demand that we trade for Steve.
BTW, Sessions career FG%from the 3pt line is 29% in 294 games.
I like Ariza but Im not sure he would be a significant upgrade over Barnes.

IMO, Sessions is a guy just needs the right opportunity. Remember, he backs up Irving, so his PT is limited. When he did get a stint of starting when Irving was down, he was awesome. He can dribble penetrate and get to the rack and make things happen for others. He reminds me a little of Lowry in the sense that Lowry kind of just was a guy until he got into the right situation and got a chance (in Houston), and he just blew up. I think Sessions could be similar.
Blake drives me crazy, I don't think he is in Session's ballpark. He can't defend at all, and he is so inconsistant on offense.
I also like Hinrich, especially his D.
I also disagree about the Ariza/Barnes comparison. Ariza is much, much better. Remember how great he was in the playoffs a few seasons ago. CP3 was destroying us, and PJax put Trev on him and shut him down. He also shot like 48% from 3 in the playoffs that year. Last year, he made Kobe look bad in the playoffs. Ariza's defense is amazing, Barnes is just a guy.
Man after watching the Detroit game, we need to do something.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:47 AM   #4
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
IMO, Sessions is a guy just needs the right opportunity. Remember, he backs up Irving, so his PT is limited. When he did get a stint of starting when Irving was down, he was awesome. He can dribble penetrate and get to the rack and make things happen for others. He reminds me a little of Lowry in the sense that Lowry kind of just was a guy until he got into the right situation and got a chance (in Houston), and he just blew up. I think Sessions could be similar.
Blake drives me crazy, I don't think he is in Session's ballpark. He can't defend at all, and he is so inconsistant on offense.
I also like Hinrich, especially his D.
I also disagree about the Ariza/Barnes comparison. Ariza is much, much better. Remember how great he was in the playoffs a few seasons ago. CP3 was destroying us, and PJax put Trev on him and shut him down. He also shot like 48% from 3 in the playoffs that year. Last year, he made Kobe look bad in the playoffs. Ariza's defense is amazing, Barnes is just a guy.
Man after watching the Detroit game, we need to do something.
Sessions has been in the league for 5 yrs it's not like he didn't have any opportunity. Last year, he started 38 games and he also played for 2 other bad teams with limited talent. Also, other teams like the Twolves, Denver and Dallas have played 2 PGs and 2 small guys at the same time, if you are THAT good, the coach will find a way to play you more.
You might have been confused with Ariza shutting down cp3 in the playoffs. don't recall that happened.
Going back to Sessions, If the Lakers get him, I sure hope you are right about him.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #5
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think Sessions is the long-term answer. Based on what I see from him statistically, not the answer. I think as fans, we are sick and tired of Derek Fisher trying to play out there and any one is an answer for us. You have to remember that the organization and GM has a lot more on the line. They have to ask themselves: This is an improvement but is it an improvement that is worth spending $8 million extra on?

I used to think Sessions may be the answer but I am backing down from it. The one thing I like about his contract is that there is only 1 year left on it after this year. If you feel that he can do better than Steve Blake then you could package Blake to acquire Sessions and only be paying ~1 mill extra per year. Quite frankly, the Lakers first round pick is not worth as much as most of the teams out there so it's not like we are trading up our top 10 pick for a high-risk/high-reward type player. Not much to lose w/ a 1st rounder
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: