Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 02-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Default Silas should be fired immediately

Okay, so I watched the game vs Pacers.

I don't understand why Silas played the fat ass Diop for nearly 20 minutes.

There was one possession the lame Diop stood right in the middle of a passing lane and a pass bounced off his fat body. His reaction to the pass was a girlish, shoulder in self-defense position. A big 300 pound 7 footer appeared to be afraid of a basketball pass. On top of that he shouldn't even be in the vicinity of the passing line.

Hibbert just seems to have no defender, like it was 4 vs 5. Diop looks totally lost on defense, not paying attention to Hibbert and chose to go for unnecessary help defense.

Another possession Diop tried to post up behind the back dribble, and, of course, turned the ball over.

Somehow Silas kept the FA Diop (FA stands for fat ass) in the game even though he's no better than Biyombo on both defense and rebounding.

On several occasions Diop was so slow that he couldn't even set a screen properly and just let Hibbert run past him, which looked more to me as Hibbert setting a screen for DJ.

First of all, I know we started the 1st quarter scoring 2 points over about 10 minutes, yet Silas didn't immediately swap the lineup or send Walker in to help scoring.

He let the starters **** up and then plugged in the 2nd unit until about 3 minutes left in the 1st quarter.

tl;dr version:

Silas' on court decision making is atrocious. His goal in terms of rotation doesn't make much sense. Diop playing nearly as much as Biyombo is a total joke.

One more thing, just as the TV casters implied, the referees are clearly biased in this game. I'd say at least 5 shot attempts were clearly making contact but no call.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Default Re: Silas should be fired immediately

It's not Silas' fault at all. The guys on the bench haven't proven they're any better than the starters.

YEP. I said it. Biyombo, as much as you love him, hasn't done enough to warrant any more PT than Diop.

Besides, I'm sure Silas was in a no-win situation. At least Diop had experience. Hibbert is an allstar. He would've abused Biyombo.

It's really not Silas' fault. He's coaching a mid-major Division 1 basketball team against NBA talent. He can only do so much.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
acidbasesalt
Coward Saviour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
It's not Silas' fault at all. The guys on the bench haven't proven they're any better than the starters.

YEP. I said it. Biyombo, as much as you love him, hasn't done enough to warrant any more PT than Diop.

Besides, I'm sure Silas was in a no-win situation. At least Diop had experience. Hibbert is an allstar. He would've abused Biyombo.

It's really not Silas' fault. He's coaching a mid-major Division 1 basketball team against NBA talent. He can only do so much.

I suppose Silas wants his team to have faith, that every game is a winnable one as long as they fight hard until the end.

However I think he's way too optimistic.
Our team is completely outmatched and expecting a win on the road against a playoff bound team is impractical. I'd say focusing on the development of individual players and the cohesion of the younger players would be more "rewarding" later on. I mean, Gana Diop, if not because of his bloating contract he'd be out of NBA just like Adam Morrison.

In the end, losing from 30 points to 50 points and having a projected 10-56 record down to 5-61 barely make a difference. Nobody pays attention to losers anyway, and once we become a playoff team we'd be recognized as a great franchise.

I think for this Pacer's game particularly, Kemba came out in the 1st quarter and saved us from tying a worst record of scoring 2 points in a quarter.

Maybe Silas is a decent coach and no clear superior replacement is available, though at least for me his on court rotation is difficult to follow. He just reacts too much and not sticking to the plan, if there's one. Today he tried so many different lineups and none seemed to work, which is perhaps "expected." So why not just play the rookies and stick to the same rotations?

I mean if a coach doesn't believe in himself or his team than how can his players be any better? Or I should say if the coach doesn't figure it out the players eventually will.
acidbasesalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #4
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

Silas is NOT the problem.

Overplaying Diop is bad but didn't cost the game (obviously).

Knee-jerk reaction to even think to fire the man. The entire front office besides Cho should be gutted.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 03:09 AM   #5
C-A-T-S
@Bobcats f o r u m PSD

Why go look for somebody else to pay to coach this team??
C-A-T-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh

Biyombo may have not proven to be better than Diop, but Diop has certainly proven to not be any better than Biyombo. And in actuality, statistically Biyombo produces significantly more than Diop.

So why is Diop ahead of Biyombo in the rotation? You don't give Biyombo minutes because you hope it leads to more wins right now, but you give Biyombo minutes because he is 19 years old and you hope he can still learn to be better. Anything to speed that learning process up a bit? Should be a no brainer at this point.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Biyombo may have not proven to be better than Diop, but Diop has certainly proven to not be any better than Biyombo. And in actuality, statistically Biyombo produces significantly more than Diop.

So why is Diop ahead of Biyombo in the rotation? You don't give Biyombo minutes because you hope it leads to more wins right now, but you give Biyombo minutes because he is 19 years old and you hope he can still learn to be better. Anything to speed that learning process up a bit? Should be a no brainer at this point.

Exactly how I feel, especially since Bismack had such a good game against Toronto.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #8
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ

Precisely. Biyombo also actually hustles, and doesn't get tired after 5 minutes of play. Diop had his hands on his knees during an entire offensive possession looking like he was about to croak over and die.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
CLTHornets4eva
Original ISH CLTHornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Precisely. Biyombo also actually hustles, and doesn't get tired after 5 minutes of play. Diop had his hands on his knees during an entire offensive possession looking like he was about to croak over and die.

That is my only beef with Silas. And Mullens not playing more.

No reason to fire a guy who has been great before as a local coach and will be again when we have some talent.
CLTHornets4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

I can't wait for Silas to be gone.

He trots out lineups that make no sense. He loathes calling plays; remember after Kemba started a couple of games Silas said that he was going to have to make up some plays because Kemba couldn't run the offense on his own? Really? We have a very young team and a rookie who had no training camp...yet he put it on HIM when we aren't even running offensive plays?

He wouldn't play Bismack, then proclaimed him 2nd in the rotation...2 games later he gets another DNPCD. Then suddenly he's starting. He had a stellar game vs. Toronto and then sees Gana play over him for a lot of the game...where Gana flat out sucked.

There's a reason Silas didn't have a job for 7 years.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
jaggedmole
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Diop played so many minutes against Indiana because Silas wanted to get some size on Roy Hibbert. Biyombo is too small to guard big centers. Mully is horrible defensively. Thus...Diop get's minutes. Silas isn't the problem with this team. We just don't have alot of talent.
jaggedmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
~spectre~
You've been 'Smacked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggedmole
Diop played so many minutes against Indiana because Silas wanted to get some size on Roy Hibbert. Biyombo is too small to guard big centers. Mully is horrible defensively. Thus...Diop get's minutes. Silas isn't the problem with this team. We just don't have alot of talent.

Ironically, Bismack played his best game to date against Dwight Howard....and Smack played Hibbert pretty darn well the 2nd time around.

Silas has always sucked at Xs & Os. A young team such as ours needs order, else it's nothing but chaos.
~spectre~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
liverpooty
Local High School Star

Charlotte needs to go after Brian Shaw once the season ends. Would be a nice fit.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: