Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
holabuster
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 120
Default Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

I'm trying to find a go-to move that I can score on with consistency. I'm trying to work on these cause I'm a shorter guard (5'10"). I want to be able to get these shots off on the layup high off the glass against the taller defender. Basically, I saw Baron Davis abusing Josh Smith with this move, and thought it would really help my game. Any suggestions/tutorials?

And also, any suggestions for a good go-to move for me? I'm moderately athletic (can get rim), have average arm length, am pretty good at posting up shorter/slower players...

Last edited by holabuster : 03-05-2008 at 01:47 PM.
holabuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
DarkSephiroth
Alex Mak
 
DarkSephiroth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 175
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Honestly, everyone has their different style of floater / Layup, so I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing you play. I do high arcing Nash-Style layups, and almost never get blocked (I played College Basketball). Other people do the little Chris Paul style overhand floater when they get into the lane, that's also very effective.

If you're a Point Guard, honestly, the best move is the Hesitation move. I've abused so many people with this move in my many years of playing basketball. If you get it to the point where you can be running full speed with the ball, keep the ball in your hand, hesitation, read the defender... If he backs up on his heels you do the Hesitation into Jump-Shot (Extremely important for a PG). If he stays put, you do the Hesitation and just go hard the same way to the basket, and there's no way he will be able to stay with you. Just watch Steve Nash bring the ball up, he uses this hesitation move probably 70-80% of the time when he's about to do something. =D
DarkSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness
 
Jailblazers7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 23,191
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

It is all about your own style and finding your own touch. Developing a go to move isnt as easy as watching Baron Davis do somethign and imitating him. Finding what works for you is what leads you to be confident in your own game.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
trig
Decent college freshman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,821
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

I totally agree w/ sepiroth, i've live of that one single move all my life. The hesitation move. I was never the quickest, most athletic player on the court. I have avg to below avg height. But hesitation moves allows me to get to the rim and either finish or get fouls. The thing with hesitation is, it makes your opponent off balance and when you bump them, you will usually get calls in your favor.

Regarding the floaters, try standing at around 5ft from the rim, then just keep on throwing 1 handers. Another drill is to put a chair and shoot 1 handers while sitting.
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 AM   #5
jbot
Future D1 Dad
 
jbot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,364
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

try practicing them w/ a person holding a broom in the air.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 PM   #6
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 769
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

had to bring this back. Does anybody have video demonstrations of how to float the ball high of the backboard while on the move? Need to add to my game.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:43 AM   #7
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
had to bring this back. Does anybody have video demonstrations of how to float the ball high of the backboard while on the move? Need to add to my game.

http://www.youth-basketball-tips.com/tear-drop.html

Can't find a video, so I just posted that link up. Well, for me, I do my floater like a lay-up, kinda like Chris Paul. Take two step, cradle the ball with my hands, and then toss it up. One thing you should note is that when preparing to launch the shot, your arm should be in e 90-degree angle. Think jumpshot without the guide hand. Hope this helped.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #8
clownprince
Can barely lace up my sneakers
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Forget layups....DUNK lol

***AMAZING DUNKER***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiCdlLb1bQk

dvd available at www.thamanic.net
clownprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:38 PM   #9
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 769
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYetGreat
http://www.youth-basketball-tips.com/tear-drop.html

Can't find a video, so I just posted that link up. Well, for me, I do my floater like a lay-up, kinda like Chris Paul. Take two step, cradle the ball with my hands, and then toss it up. One thing you should note is that when preparing to launch the shot, your arm should be in e 90-degree angle. Think jumpshot without the guide hand. Hope this helped.

But its so hard to get the right angle off the back board while in motion. I tryed it, also tryed putting it high off the glass but I wont fall.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
Splitz77
Good High School Starter
 
Splitz77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 891
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
But its so hard to get the right angle off the back board while in motion. I tryed it, also tryed putting it high off the glass but I wont fall.


Its all about the soft touch. It will go in if your soft with it. You gotta have the touch first. its hard to explain.

If you put the ball high in the air before the block by the bigger man, then it doesnt matter how slow, or soft it is. If he the defender cant touch it then it just doesnt matter. Just practice putting the ball gentely off the back board then start moving your way up the back board, and adjust as needed.

Pro's have alot of experience and have practiced it alot. Im no pro at it, but im pretty consitent with it, but its definatly not my go to move.

Its all about practice!
Splitz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
NotYetGreat
Great college starter
 
NotYetGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,547
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyO
But its so hard to get the right angle off the back board while in motion. I tryed it, also tryed putting it high off the glass but I wont fall.

Aim for the top parts of the backboard, but it should not be at the peak when it hits. It should hit the board as it's going down.
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:53 PM   #12
MannyO
Super Cool E
 
MannyO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 769
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

true I now remember who I used to see do it was ALLEN IVERSON... Ill miss that guy. He would cross someone over and go to the rim full speed and he'd fingerroll high off the glass while the big man tryed to block it.
MannyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #13
Magic bird
The Banner
 
Magic bird's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Causeway Street
Posts: 1,094
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSephiroth
Honestly, everyone has their different style of floater / Layup, so I wouldn't be able to tell you without seeing you play. I do high arcing Nash-Style layups, and almost never get blocked (I played College Basketball). Other people do the little Chris Paul style overhand floater when they get into the lane, that's also very effective.

If you're a Point Guard, honestly, the best move is the Hesitation move. I've abused so many people with this move in my many years of playing basketball. If you get it to the point where you can be running full speed with the ball, keep the ball in your hand, hesitation, read the defender... If he backs up on his heels you do the Hesitation into Jump-Shot (Extremely important for a PG). If he stays put, you do the Hesitation and just go hard the same way to the basket, and there's no way he will be able to stay with you. Just watch Steve Nash bring the ball up, he uses this hesitation move probably 70-80% of the time when he's about to do something. =D
Magic bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
SourPatchKids
Banned
 
SourPatchKids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Dooney Rock
Posts: 7,108
Default Re: Help on Layups/Floaters high off the glass...

If your going to have a mount everest release then make it soft.
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy