Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #76
KingBeasley08
World's Finest

Default Re: Redskins trade for #2 overall

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...-st-louis-rams

Quote:
The Cleveland Browns had stepped up their efforts to try to acquire the No. 2 pick in recent days, going so far as to offer at least three No. 1 picks to the Rams and possibly even a second-round pick, according to one source familiar with the deal. Cleveland sensed it was going to get the deal done, only to be informed that St. Louis planned to deal the coveted No. 2 pick to the Redskins.
KingBeasley08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #77
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

In the video John Clayton said Browns were reluctant to give up BOTH 1st rd picks and that Wash swooped in and offered the deal they did to land the #2 draft pick.

:45 second mark of video.

The only person reporting that Browns were willing to give up 3 first rd'ers is Adam Schefter. Everywhere else I looked people are saying opposite.

Last does it make sense Rams turned down 4th, 22nd picks in first rd in 2012, 2nd rd in 2012 plus 2013 1st rd pick? No.

Last edited by GOBB : 03-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:11 PM   #78
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
Horrible trade, especially for a team that should be rebuilding like the redskins. They should've just kept the 6th pick and bombed the 2012-13 season to get Matt Barkley. The redskins and raiders are the biggest laughingstocks in all of sports. Horribly run organizations.

Nobody cares about your opinion. You're a terrible fan for your own teams fa99ot. Stay miserable, my friend
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #79
iggy>
happy tanksgiving

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Nobody cares about your opinion. You're a terrible fan for your own teams fa99ot. Stay miserable, my friend
U mad? So far you're the only one praising this ridiculous trade.
iggy> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #80
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

How can you bash or praise this deal? Nobody can right now because we don't know what RG3 will be in the pro's.

If he's the real deal, it's worth it.

If he's not, then it sets them back.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:00 AM   #81
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
In the video John Clayton said Browns were reluctant to give up BOTH 1st rd picks and that Wash swooped in and offered the deal they did to land the #2 draft pick.

:45 second mark of video.

The only person reporting that Browns were willing to give up 3 first rd'ers is Adam Schefter. Everywhere else I looked people are saying opposite.

Last does it make sense Rams turned down 4th, 22nd picks in first rd in 2012, 2nd rd in 2012 plus 2013 1st rd pick? No.
Everything that I've read outside of this STL reporter and this one blurb from a random ESPN article coming from an unnamed source has been that the Browns were not willing to part with 4 and 22.

Sometimes, you just get a sense for things living in an area that outsiders may not be privy to... Everything that every Cleveland media member has been and is reporting says that 4 and 22 were not on the table...

Report: Cleveland Browns aren't willing to give Rams their No. 22 at this point
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #82
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
How can you bash or praise this deal? Nobody can right now because we don't know what RG3 will be in the pro's.

If he's the real deal, it's worth it.

If he's not, then it sets them back.
Well, you can bash the trade if you believe that they could have waited it out and gotten him for less... Which I do believe that Washington could have. The Browns were never going to approach anything resembling three No. 1s and a 2nd. Since there were only a couple of other teams in the conversation and Manning is likely to land at one of those spots and the other probably isn't going to have the resources to match even 2 No. 1s and a 2...

Yeah, I think they gave up too much. I think that they had an itchy trigger finger when prudence would have served them better. And, I think that ultimately they could have gotten him for 2 No. 1s and a No. 2.

The 3rd No. 1 was just overkill, imo. That was more than anyone on here was predicting and most people thought that the Browns could have had him with their 2 No. 1s this year and a No. 2... And, I thought that was too much (and so did the Browns, obviously).

It isn't only about how good RG3 ends up being... It is about what happens when a FO isn't patient enough to wait for a deal to come out of the clouds a little bit.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 03-12-2012 at 01:06 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #83
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Peter King brings up a good point.

I think there's been some confusion on the compensation the Redskins paid the Rams for the second pick in the draft, at least according to the Twitter world. Dozens of you, and some emailers too, have said, Wait a minute. The Redskins didn't trade three first-round picks and a two for Robert Griffin III. They traded two firsts, then swapped positions with this year's first-rounders with the Rams. In a way, it's all semantics. But it's much more accurate, and truthful, to say Washington traded four picks for one pick. If we described it as three picks for Griffin and a swap of ones this year, that diminishes the importance of this little swap of picks this year.

In the NFL today, trading up from six to two in the first round cannot be dismissed as simply "swapping spots" as though it's a minor part of the deal. On the draft trade value chart, which all teams use (though its importance has been lessened because the cost of high picks is so much more affordable now with the new rookie wage scale), the difference between the sixth and second overall picks is 1,000 points, the equivalent of the 16th overall pick in the draft.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #84
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

I think this is the single biggest trade for a rookie in the history of the NFL...

it is bigger than the Ricky Willaims trade...

giving up 3 first round picks is almost CERTAIN to be giving up at least 1 probowl franchise player...RG3 HAS to hit and hit hard for this trade to be seen as just "fair"
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #85
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
I think this is the single biggest trade for a rookie in the history of the NFL...

it is bigger than the Ricky Willaims trade...

giving up 3 first round picks is almost CERTAIN to be giving up at least 1 probowl franchise player...RG3 HAS to hit and hit hard for this trade to be seen as just "fair"

Wash gave up much more, let me make that clear. But the closest I've seen to giving up alot for a franchise QB and getting good value in return? SD-NYG trade where NYG landed Eli Manning and SD landed Rivers, Merriman, Kaeding.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #86
Riddler
D-94

Unless a major injury happens (like Vick or Romo getting injured)... Philly, Dallas, and NY are going to be in three-way race for the division this year and next... I really don't see Washington doing any better than 2-4 (in the NFC East) both years....

Rams could easily get a Top 10 pick 2 years in a row... especially when you're starting a rookie at QB.

So for the sake of argument... the trade could look like this:

#6, #39, #10 (2013), #10 (2014).... for #2

And to be honest... I think the Rams will get even higher picks than that.

Redskins went 5-11 last year... think they'll do better this year? Maybe 6-10 at best.

And let's pretend for a moment that the RAMS suck this year and next year...
(gotta remember that Peyton Manning could become a Cardinal)

Their draft board has potential to look even better than this:

2012 (1st and 2nd Round)
#6, #33, #39

2013 (1st and 2nd Round)
#9, #10, #43

2014 (1st and 2nd Round)
#9, #10, #43
Riddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #87
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

yeah in 3 years the Rams should be absolutly STOCKED with good young talent

and lucky for them that is around the same time Bradford should be in his prime...he will start gettting the "elite" label around that time

now they have Fisher at coach too...

Chris Long is a complete stud and also very young still...only 26

that has Dynasty written all over it...they will own the next decade after that
Old 03-12-2012, 02:42 PM   #88
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy>
U mad? So far you're the only one praising this ridiculous trade.

I'm not praising the deal, I'm praising the fact that we landed an elite prospect with an incredibly rare combo of skillset and intelligence.

Initially, I cringed at losing 2 first rounders, the '14 1st stings the most. Still will be worth it if the guy translates as most coaches and scouts expect him to.

I'm most certainly not mad. I'm ecstatic. I called you a fa99ot cuz I think you are a fa99ot, don't like you and bring nothing to any conversation you partake in. You are the negative version of the stereotypical Philly fan who bashes your own guys relentlessly so eat shit

Last edited by ROCSteady : 03-12-2012 at 02:50 PM.
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #89
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
yeah in 3 years the Rams should be absolutly STOCKED with good young talent

and lucky for them that is around the same time Bradford should be in his prime...he will start gettting the "elite" label around that time

now they have Fisher at coach too...

Chris Long is a complete stud and also very young still...only 26

that has Dynasty written all over it...they will own the next decade after that

Right because Stl Rams will strike gold on all those picks.

*cough*adam carricker*, *cough*jason smith*cough*
Old 03-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #90
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Right because Stl Rams will strike gold on all those picks.

*cough*adam carricker*, *cough*jason smith*cough*
it would be beyond unlucky for them to miss on all of them...out of 6 first round picks AT LEAST 3 should hit

cough *Chris Long* cough *Stephen Jackson* cough *Bradford*
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: