Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator
 
insidehoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,634
Default Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

The Kansas City Star reports:

In the storied history of Kentucky basketball, no player had ever been considered the nationís best in that season.

Until now.

Freshman Anthony Davis continued his run of national player of the year awards by accepting the Associated Press honor on Friday.

He beat Kansasí Thomas Robinson for the honor. Davis received 43 votes, Robinson 20 and Michigan Stateís Draymond Green two. The voting occurred before the NCAA Tournament began.



Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9571#ixzz1qivA8xlg
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Maniak
Warm Winds
 
Maniak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 23,732
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

No surprise here.
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
ILLsmak
Life goes on.
 
ILLsmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,985
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Does this dude have superstar potential? People are like CONSENSUS NUMBER 1 PICK. I think he balls but I think it's possible he could just be a talented starter.

I kind of feel if he doesn't get a super wet Chris Bosh/KG jumper he'll never be an all star.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
PP34Deuce
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,260
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Does this dude have superstar potential? People are like CONSENSUS NUMBER 1 PICK. I think he balls but I think it's possible he could just be a talented starter.

I kind of feel if he doesn't get a super wet Chris Bosh/KG jumper he'll never be an all star.

-Smak


He dribbled and beat the press against louisville, his form on his jumper is good. The guy hasn't shown everything he's capable of. He's going to be better the Bosh based on the fact that his ball IQ and anticipation skills are better. I also think he's a better passer right now.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner
 
Goliath Uterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pluto
Posts: 3,122
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

I thought it should've been T-Rob.... He shouldered the offensive load, AD had much more help. Don't get me wrong though, Davis is a freak.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 50,734
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
I thought it should've been T-Rob.... He shouldered the offensive load, AD had much more help. Don't get me wrong though, Davis is a freak.

More help? No one helped Davis dominate college bball
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Goliath Uterus
average size weiner
 
Goliath Uterus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pluto
Posts: 3,122
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
More help? No one helped Davis dominate college bball


You're kidding right? He had plenty of help, that team is completely stacked. Fact is, you take AD off UK, they're still title contenders, take T-Rob off KU, and they're finishing 3rd in the Big 12.

Robinson is a better scorer, has much better post moves, he's a stronger presence down low, a better mid range shooter, a better rebounder, better passer, more experienced, more clutch.... AD is a better shot blocker and on ball defender tho, I'll give him that.
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #8
DeuceWallaces
I am your density
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: State College, PA
Posts: 15,208
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
You're kidding right? He had plenty of help, that team is completely stacked. Fact is, you take AD off UK, they're still title contenders, take T-Rob off KU, and they're finishing 3rd in the Big 12.

Robinson is a better scorer, has much better post moves, he's a stronger presence down low, a better mid range shooter, a better rebounder, better passer, more experienced, more clutch.... AD is a better shot blocker and on ball defender tho, I'll give him that.

Lol, nice Avy.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
KG215
NBA Legend
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19,309
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Agree with Goliath. Can't believe Davis swept all the NPOY honors. Not saying it should have been Robinson hands down, but I personally felt Robinson deserved to win at least one or two NPOY awards. He carried a mediocre Kansas team all year. Davis, while dominant, was on a loaded team with three or four other future first round draft picks.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #10
ILLsmak
Life goes on.
 
ILLsmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,985
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
He dribbled and beat the press against louisville, his form on his jumper is good. The guy hasn't shown everything he's capable of. He's going to be better the Bosh based on the fact that his ball IQ and anticipation skills are better. I also think he's a better passer right now.

I dunno man... Chris Bosh is a high level talent. Even though he's garbage haha. I don't think he will be anything like Bosh. No way could he put up 24 ppg imo.

And maybe even not 20. But in terms of defense, Anthony Davis is way better. I wonder if Davis won't end up being like Anthony Randolph.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
DMizzle
Great young streetballer
 
DMizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 597
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Can somebody convince me that Davis will be a star in the NBA? He is great at blocks and rebounding, but this is the college level. And with his frame I don't think he will survive at all against the bigs of the NBA. I see him becoming a player like Marcus Camby, long and tall with a defensive scare in the paint.
DMizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #12
PP34Deuce
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,260
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMizzle
Can somebody convince me that Davis will be a star in the NBA? He is great at blocks and rebounding, but this is the college level. And with his frame I don't think he will survive at all against the bigs of the NBA. I see him becoming a player like Marcus Camby, long and tall with a defensive scare in the paint.


Better offensive talent than Marcus Camby...Hes a prospect similar to KG. He may not be the post player offensively KG is but he's very versatile.
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,690
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP34Deuce
Better offensive talent than Marcus Camby...Hes a prospect similar to KG. He may not be the post player offensively KG is but he's very versatile.

KG had an extremely limited offensive skill set coming into the league. I think they're a good comparison: Garnett with no college, but several years of being "The Big Man"; Davis with a year of college competition, but only two years removed from being 6'2".

The kid has a nice stroke on his mid-range jumper. He rarely takes it; not his job on this team. But his base is nice and balanced, he's got a good follow through. He'll be able to shoot. He has a FAR better handle than KG had at the same age.

I expect people to be shocked at Davis' production on the offensive end in a year or two. He'll be a VERY good pro, and I would not be a bit surprised to see Garnett as his upside.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
JMT
NBA lottery pick
 
JMT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,690
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
Robinson is a better scorer, has much better post moves, he's a stronger presence down low, a better mid range shooter, a better rebounder, better passer, more experienced, more clutch.... AD is a better shot blocker and on ball defender tho, I'll give him that.

The first three things you mention are all the same: he's a better interior scorer. As for the mid-range jumper, I've heard people talk about it but haven't seen enough of it to be impressed.

Rebounding, passing are very debatable. And clearly, what Davis can do on the defensive end is special and far beyond any impact Robinson has on that end of the floor.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
kileer7
Sycophants R sickos
 
kileer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 252
Default Re: Anthony Davis named AP college player of year

He's a monster. I guess LeBron and D-12 would have been like that in college. Anyway, that's beside the point, in my opinion he deserved it and @ laugh at having a jumper like Bosh.
kileer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy