Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 03-14-2012, 07:41 PM   #31
qrich
King Heno

Default Re: 2012 NCAA Tournament Discussion

Long Beach State will beat New Mexico and Louisville
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 PM   #32
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

I've been noticing Florida State as a trendy Elite Eight or Final Four pick and I'm hesitant to buy into it. I think too much is being made of their ACC tournament wins over Duke and North Carolina.

1.) In two of their final three regular season games Florida State lost on the road to Miami by 16 despite Miami not having Reggie Johnson. They also lost at home to Duke by 8.

2.) Forget the Duke and North Carolina wins. Miami didn't have their leading scorer and maybe their best player in Durand Scott when Florida State beat them in the first round of the ACC tournament. Then they go on and beat Duke by three and Duke did not have Ryan Kelly. I don't know where Kelly falls in the pecking order for Duke, but there's been games I've watched this year where he's been their best or second best player. It just depends on if he's hitting the three ball or not. And of course they only beat UNC (who obviously didn't have John Henson) by three despite shooting nearly 60% from the field. It's no secret the kind of impact John Henson has on a game, especially on defense. He's the only player in the country on the same level as Anthony Davis in terms of how much he effects a game defensively.

Don't get me wrong, Florida State is talented. And not only are they talented but their rotation is mostly upperclassmen with postseason experience. They already defend well enough to be a Final Four team. I just don't know if they can consistently score the ball well enough to make an Elite Eight or Final Four run.

Last edited by KG215 : 03-15-2012 at 02:01 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 PM   #33
KG215

South Florida shooting 66% to Cal's 25%. USF up 57-28 with a little less than 8:00 to play. They're putting on a show.

It was 36-13 at halftime. While it's not a fun brand of basketball I enjoy watching South Florida play. They've got some good athletes and play smothering defense. They're beating a fellow 12 seed worse than some of the 1 and 2 seeds will beat their 15 and 16 seeds.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:10 AM   #34
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

^^ Robbie Hummel was on local radio and they made him pick a sleeper and he said FSU, while pointing out they aren't a sleeper now that they won the ACC tourney. Local radio also treats him like more of a coach than a guy that's potentially playing his last game in 2 days, which in a way is really cool and respectful, but at the same time really frustrating.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #35
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
^^ Robbie Hummel was on local radio and they made him pick a sleeper and he said FSU, while pointing out they aren't a sleeper now that they won the ACC tourney. Local radio also treats him like more of a coach than a guy that's potentially playing his last game in 2 days, which in a way is really cool and respectful, but at the same time really frustrating.

That's fine if they want to label Florida State as a sleeper. Just remember they beat UNC and Duke (each by three points) without John Henson and Ryan Kelly. A week or two earlier they lost at home to Duke and lost at Miami by 16 and Miami didn't have Reggie Johnson.

For Hummel's sake, I really hope Purdue can find a way to win a game or two. I have Ohio State as my Final Four representative from the East but won't be the least bit upset if Purdue beats them in the second round.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:48 AM   #36
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Cal looks really bad tonight, but anyway they were already in NCAA field of 68 so thats somewhat of an accomplishment for this season.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #37
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
I've been noticing Florida State as a trendy Elite Eight or Final Four pick and I'm hesitant to buy into it. I think too much is being made of their ACC tournament wins over Duke and North Carolina.

1.) In two of their final three regular season games Florida State lost on the road to Miami by 16 despite Miami not having Reggie Johnson. They also lost at home to Duke by 8.

2.) Forget the Duke and North Carolina wins. Miami didn't have their leading scorer and maybe their best player in Durand Scott when Florida State beat them in the first round of the ACC tournament. Then they go on and beat Duke by three and Duke did not have Ryan Kelly. I don't know where Kelly falls in the pecking order for Duke, but there's been games I've watched this year where he's been their best or second best player. It just depends on if he's hitting the three ball or not. And of course they only beat UNC (who obviously didn't have John Henson) by three despite shooting nearly 60% from the field. It's no secret the kind of impact John Henson has on a game, especially on defense. He's the only player in the country on the same level as Anthony Davis in terms of how much he effects a game defensively.

Don't get me wrong, Florida State is talented. And not only are they talented but their rotation is mostly upperclassmen with postseason experience. They already defend well enough to be a Final Four team. I just don't know if they can consistently score the ball well enough to make an Elite Eight or Final Four run.

FSU lacks the component that teams, almost without fail, need to go deep in the tournament: a go-to guy on offense. Balance is a wonderful thing. But to win this thing you better know exactly where you're going to get quality shots in those stretches where you're going to need them.

Don't forget the omnipresent Leonard Hamilton factor. The ACC Coach of the Year is one of the worst in-game coaches in college basketball. I can only assume he won the award because they don't want to give it to Roy or K every year, the rest of the ACC sucked, and FSU finished higher than anticipated.

I've watched the guy closely since his days at OK St. A really bad clock manager. Never has a consistent offensive attack, reliant instead on the athletes that he does successfully recruit. A guy who will steal defeat from the jaws of victory in a big spot.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #38
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've decided to go with a somewhat ballsy/unusual final 4 of Marquette, Kentucky, Kansas, and Wisconsin. I don't really give a shit about my bracket this year because Pitt ruined college bball for me so I figured I take a shot at an unlikely final 4.

That mix with Marquette, Missouri and Murray St really interests me. None of them have quality size; Marquette's conference POY is a 6'6" hustle guy who plays in the post/lane. But all three have the kind of speed, toughness, ball pressure and guard play that could make a matchup with a team like Michigan State really intriguing.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
Dolphin
werewolfdolphin

So I blazed yesterday, which led to me being tired and taking a nap at 10:30, which led to me not waking up till 3:30 am, which led to me not being able to get back to sleep, which led to me posting this at 8:00 am trying to read up on anything relating to the tournament that I haven't already looked at.

Only 3 more hours till the pre-game show....
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:36 AM   #40
UConnCeltics
Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7
I've decided to go with a somewhat ballsy/unusual final 4 of Marquette, Kentucky, Kansas, and Wisconsin. I don't really give a shit about my bracket this year because Pitt ruined college bball for me so I figured I take a shot at an unlikely final 4.
Its not like you would have to pick Pitt to play in the FF anyways.
UConnCeltics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #41
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConnCeltics
Its not like you would have to pick Pitt to play in the FF anyways.

Yeah, at least I'm saved from the shame of making that mistake again this year.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:05 AM   #42
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Harvard 77, Vanderbilt 58.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:21 AM   #43
liquidrage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215

Part of it is the easy road.

Bonnies and Cincy aren't that hard of a matchup. Then a toss up game with Ohio St where FSU has the bigs and perimeter D to match up with OSU. And then a Melo-less Cuse team.

Every team has some bad losses except Kentucky and Cuse really. And Cuse isn't the same team it was this time last week because their inside D just took a huge hit.

And while your point about FSU isn't wrong per say IMO, FSU's also won 15 of their last 18 and that includes 8 of those games being against teams in the Tourney. And they went 7-1 in those last 8 against Tourney teams. That's a pretty solid record right there. They started off the year bad and since them have played like a Top 10 team easily.

And I also say you're underrating Snaer as a go to guy. And that they had already beaten Duke and UNC when both can be said to be healthy.

Last edited by liquidrage : 03-15-2012 at 10:25 AM.
liquidrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM   #44
KG215

They're talking about the closest 1/16 games. Lebowski, I had no idea Purdue nearly lost to Western Carolina in 1996. Knew about most of the rest on their list.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #45
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidrage
Part of it is the easy road.

Bonnies and Cincy aren't that hard of a matchup. Then a toss up game with Ohio St where FSU has the bigs and perimeter D to match up with OSU. And then a Melo-less Cuse team.

Every team has some bad losses except Kentucky and Cuse really. And Cuse isn't the same team it was this time last week because their inside D just took a huge hit.

And while your point about FSU isn't wrong per say IMO, FSU's also won 15 of their last 18 and that includes 8 of those games being against teams in the Tourney. And they went 7-1 in those last 8 against Tourney teams. That's a pretty solid record right there. They started off the year bad and since them have played like a Top 10 team easily.

And I also say you're underrating Snaer as a go to guy. And that they had already beaten Duke and UNC when both can be said to be healthy.

Florida State is also really Jekyll and Hyde-ish. They won at Duke and beat UNC by 33. They also lost to to a REALLY bad Boston College team, needed a shot at the buzzer to beat a 4-12 Virginia Tech in Tallahassee. They lost to Duke at home and at Miami (no Reggie and Johnson) by 16.

They're just really hard to get a pulse on.

Last edited by KG215 : 03-15-2012 at 01:27 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: