Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #16
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

TheNaturalWR has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: I have a feeling this will be a great season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I did watch the Saints/Texans game. They dropped a 40 burger on your defense and that wasn't with any defensive or special teams touchdowns.

Cam has a stacked offense? The same offense that scored under 200 points the year prior?

The defense locked the Saints' up. You're lying if you couldn't see that. We settled for three straight FGs in the 1st half which would've put the game away if we could've at least converted one for a TD. Don't really know why you using this as a case because every elite defense gets lit up especially if you're going up against Drew ****ing Brees. You probably think Brees lit up the 49ers defense up as well because he dropped a 30 burger when the truth is FGs handicap your defense.

Carolina is stacked on offense. They have 2 good pass catching tight ends, the second best 1-2 punch at running back behind Houstons( ), a rejuvenated Steve Smith and a sure handed receiver in LaFell. We're definitely a top 5 defense. I don't see more than 3 teams with a better defense than ours. The 49ers are definitely number 1. Lets evaluate the Texans defense shall we?
Pass rush: Great one
Stuffing the run: Great at it
Pass defense: only weak link is Kareem Jackson but with that pass rush and Joseph locking down the other side of the field?
Our only weakness is a big DT but Wade Phillips never preferred those breed of nose tackles in the first place. The Ravens, 49ers, and Texans are the three best defenses in the league.
TheNaturalWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #17
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Bump this after they play Rodgers, Brady, Stafford and potentially Manning this year.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Texans also got the benefit of playing in a division with terrible quarterback play, for the most part. They got to play 25 percent of their games vs. two of the worst quarterbacks in the league - maybe the worst.

You can only play who you have on your schedule, but you measure you defense against the best offenses - if you can't stop those offenses, you aren't going to succeed.

They also got to play Henne, Colt McCoy...and Jason Campbell. Another rookie in Dalton.

Brees lit them up. Rookie Cam won against them.

Shutting down Roeth is a nice thing, but they are a flawed offense.

Bottom line, they haven't "proven" to me yet that they're a great defense. It's similar to what the Bucs did two years ago from a record perspective - weak schedule, then they get hype....people think they will win a lot of games the next year, but they get a tougher schedule....and they come back to reality.

I think the Texans played a very easy schedule as far as opposing offenses go.

We'll see. The Bucs had a ton of hype because of the QB play from what I remember. Freeman was putting up great numbers in his 2nd year in the league and people thought they would continue their success. This year their division play improved and they weren't able to keep up. The texans will stay play some crappy/unproven QB's in that division and by default they should win it. Jacksonville will probably be bad next year, Colts are rebuilding and the Titans are the only team that can compete with the Texans.

Texans have the foundations for a great defense. Their front 7 is one of the best in the league and they're youn. Add in a quality corner and I don't think their play will drop off especially if Schaub comes back healthy.
ALBballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I think their front seven is overrated if you're saying one of the best in the league.

They don't have the outside pass rushers to make me fear them. I think Demeco Ryans is an above average player, nothing more. Cushing is a very good player.

Barwin got like 60 percent of his total sacks in a three game stretch. He's a decent player but he's not a great player.

They have a good front seven. But a dominant one? I don't think so. They just don't have the OLB's or DT.

Their per game stats will probably be great this year, but that's more of a reflection of playing in that division void of quarterbacks. Not like their going up against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan & Cam Newton 6 out of 16 games. Not like their going up against Jay Cutler, Rodgers & Stafford 6 games.

You measure yourself as a defense vs. the great offenses, because that's who you're probably going to have to beat to get to a superbowl or win the superbowl.

People were talking about how great the Denver defense was (myself included) when they pulled off a stretch in the middle part of the season....gave up like 16 points per game over the last half of the year, until they faced NE and they got worked over in week 15. Look a little closer and you see they didn't play any great offenses until that Pats game, and promptly got exposed. Then they got worked over again in the playoffs by the same Patriot team.

We'll have a much better idea of what the Texans defense is after this year with their meetings vs. Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and possibly Manning.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:21 AM   #20
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I think their front seven is overrated if you're saying one of the best in the league.

They don't have the outside pass rushers to make me fear them. I think Demeco Ryans is an above average player, nothing more. Cushing is a very good player.

Barwin got like 60 percent of his total sacks in a three game stretch. He's a decent player but he's not a great player.

They have a good front seven. But a dominant one? I don't think so. They just don't have the OLB's or DT.

Their per game stats will probably be great this year, but that's more of a reflection of playing in that division void of quarterbacks. Not like their going up against Drew Brees, Matt Ryan & Cam Newton 6 out of 16 games. Not like their going up against Jay Cutler, Rodgers & Stafford 6 games.

You measure yourself as a defense vs. the great offenses, because that's who you're probably going to have to beat to get to a superbowl or win the superbowl.

People were talking about how great the Denver defense was (myself included) when they pulled off a stretch in the middle part of the season....gave up like 16 points per game over the last half of the year, until they faced NE and they got worked over in week 15. Look a little closer and you see they didn't play any great offenses until that Pats game, and promptly got exposed. Then they got worked over again in the playoffs by the same Patriot team.

We'll have a much better idea of what the Texans defense is after this year with their meetings vs. Brady, Rodgers, Stafford and possibly Manning.

You forgot to mention Brooks Reed who looked good at times last year and I think JJ Watt will be one of the best 3-4 ends next year. I guess their success in the playoffs is fresh in my mind but that defense is scary young. Barwin is a 3rd year player and was playing TE most of his career in college and should improve, and Reed and Watt were both rookies last year. Cushing is one of the best at his positions and is only 25. Add in a top CB and Ryan is one of the better players at this positions, and the defense looks really good.

I guess they didn't face a bunch of great QB's but they did play Matt Ryan last year and held the Falcons to 10 points. Falcons had a top 10 offense last year (statistically speaking.)
ALBballer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #21
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasly15
They signed Arian Foster which was most important. Mario was lost and we did good. Releasing Winston can be questionable but come on, T.J Yates. We dont need Manning...

Perhaps Manning isn't the answer, but Matt Schaub isn't going to get you past an AFC Championship game, ever.

He's a guy who can get you a 10 win season consistently with their current roster the way it is for years to come, but they'll never 'do damage' in the post season.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #22
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
Perhaps Manning isn't the answer, but Matt Schaub isn't going to get you past an AFC Championship game, ever.

He's a guy who can get you a 10 win season consistently with their current roster the way it is for years to come, but they'll never 'do damage' in the post season.

Why? I think he's a pretty good quarterback. Only as of late have they had the defense to back him up and of course he got knocked out last season.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #23
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

The Texans with Schaub last year could of done a lot of damage in the playoffs.
jazz873 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
The Texans with Schaub last year could of done a lot of damage in the playoffs.

Exactly. I'm not sure why there's bashing on Schaub he's been consistent. The only reason they've not been able to reach the playoffs is because their defense was horrid until late.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Exactly. I'm not sure why there's bashing on Schaub he's been consistent. The only reason they've not been able to reach the playoffs is because their defense was horrid until late.

... and they just lost their best defensive player to FA.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #26
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

They also lost him to injury last season too. They will be okay.
jazz873 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:04 PM   #27
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:

And only uneducated idiots seriously believe that is true. He hasn't even been the best lineman for us the past 2 years. We didn't miss a beat without him and he feasts on tight ends and below average RTs but when he goes up against a good tackle he doesn't do anything to impact the game.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:04 PM   #28
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNaturalWR
And only uneducated idiots seriously believe that is true. He hasn't even been the best lineman for us the past 2 years. We didn't miss a beat without him and he feasts on tight ends and below average RTs but when he goes up against a good tackle he doesn't do anything to impact the game.

So you're saying Mario Williams WAS NOT the best defensive player for Houston?

o_O

... and Buffalo just gave that guy WHO WASN'T THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON A SINGLE FRANCHISE 100 million dollars.

so which is more o_O worthy? Your post (which is my vote) or the Bills acq. of MW? ... (which was also crazy).
Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 AM   #29
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

Quote:
So you're saying Mario Williams WAS NOT the best defensive player for Houston?

o_O

... and Buffalo just gave that guy WHO WASN'T THE BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON A SINGLE FRANCHISE 100 million dollars.

so which is more o_O worthy? Your post (which is my vote) or the Bills acq. of MW? ... (which was also crazy).

Yes. 53 sacks in 6 seasons is amazing to you? With his athleticism and talent and he only averaged 7 sacks a season with only one 10+ sack season? That SCREAMS overrated. Not to mention it's well noted that he doesn't give his all in every single play. He might be the most accomplished in terms of statistics for the Texans' franchise but he was NOT our best defensive player. Cushing had an All-Pro season and was a Pro Bowl snub. Jonathan Joseph is a top 3 cornerback in this league. And if people don't know who I'm talking about when I say Mario wasn't the best player on the d-line, the dude was Antonio Smith. Straight up monster and is easily the most underrated player in the NFL. Mario Williams was our most talented player but by no means was he our BEST defensive player. The Bills vastly overpaid for an underachieving injury prone overrated defensive end. /case closed
Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #30
beasly15
TEXANS

beasly15 has decent reputationbeasly15 has decent reputation

Sorry, Carbine. We didnt release Manning. That was your dickhead owner but i promise you we will tear Luck up. I was hoping for this outcome. I guess we'll talk later.
beasly15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: