Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #4471
Raymone
The Chosen King
 
Raymone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,945
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
not sure if they're going to but what is the purpose of having tm's mother testify ? .. she has no knowledge about what happened that night .. she's not a witness .. and her opinion about his voice is meaningless .. there is absolutely no reason for her to be testifying other than to play on the jury's emotions .. if this is allowed, then we know the judge is blatantly trying to get gz convicted

I believe that 5 of the 6 jurors are mothers. Hearing a mother testify that she believes it's the voice of her son will probably resonate strongly with the jury. An appeal to emotion, of course, not science or logic.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #4472
dude77
NBA sixth man of the year
 
dude77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,470
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
I believe that 5 of the 6 jurors are mothers. Hearing a mother testify that she believes it's the voice of her son will probably resonate strongly with the jury. An appeal to emotion, of course, not science or logic.

oooh true .. forgot about the jury makeup .. this is totally unacceptable .. the jury should hear facts and evidence of the case and nothing else .. if she is allowed to testify, something is up and that **** on the bench needs to be removed(won't happen I know)
dude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #4473
Pointguard
NBA All-star
 
Pointguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,962
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
The witness confirmed that Z wasn't taught about SYG. As for your point though, so? I got an A in modern physics, but I sure don't remember how to solve a particle in a box problem.

http://news.yahoo.com/trayvon-martin...190623184.html
Quote:
A professor at Seminole County College who taught a criminal justice course testified that he often talked about the state's self-defense law in his class, in which Zimmerman, an aspiring police officer, was an A student in 2010.

As Orlando Sentinel reporter Rene Stutzman put it to Orlando’s Fox 35 news station on Wednesday, it is meant to illuminate whether Zimmerman had the “wherewithal to put together a story that might exempt him from prosecution.”

This guy would have gotten off totally by his knowledge of the law. Its the only reason he wasn't arrested for a month and then some. If it wasn't for Sharpton, he probably never gets arrested.

As to you not knowing Physics and getting an A in it:

Zim took it within two years of the shooting.
Zim had a career interest in the field.
Zim's lies are more in sync with legal exoneration than the reality we are sensing from witnesses, evidence and circumstances. To say he's a prolific liar would be an understatement.

Now if you are physicist right now and took the class recently and you couldn't solve a simple equation - then you are making a point... but moreso about how quickly you can't retain basic info.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 PM   #4474
longtime lurker
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,802
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
lol definitely a troll job

that's amaziiingggg
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #4475
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,710
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
yes reasonable force .. if you decide to bash someone's head on concrete and then after doing that, you continue trying to hit them on the head .. that's attempted murder(whether legally accepted as that or not it is) .. if you get shot, that's 'reasonable force' imo

I agree with your hypothetical. However, I don't think your hypothetical is what happened in this case. The jury is going to have buy Zimmerman's story as you have. However, just looking over at google news, I see these headlines

No Zimmerman DNA under Martin's fingernails: Expert witness
Expert testifies no Martin DNA on gun grip in Zimmerman trial
Zimmerman's DNA found on gun, not Martin's, expert testifies


Which makes me the think the jury has ample reason to doubt Zimmerman's story. Since Martin's hands were found under his body, I think that no dna on his was found under his fingernails would be pretty significant. Also Zimmerman told his best friend that Martin grabbed at his gun and held it "between the grip and hammer."
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #4476
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Legend of Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alch|e|mist
Posts: 10,131
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
The reason the prosecution wanted to establish the fact that Zimmerman didn't have severe injuries is because they are going to argue that shooting Martin was not a reasonable use of deadly force and that is why I think he should be convicted of manslaughter.

I think the whole self-defense argument is bullshit because Zimmerman was following Martin. Think about it. How can you argue GZ was in danger/fear of his life when he was the one originally creeping up on TM with a gun following a teenager with no gun/weapon?! Shouldn't it have been the other way around? GZ is packing the gun, following TM, and now TM is dead, because GZ was defending himself, even though TM had no gun on him, no weapon whatsoever in fact, and TM wasn't following or stalking up on anyone - he was the one being stalked, creep'd up on, and followed by Zimmerman. If you want to think about all this logically, it seems more like a premeditated case of murder.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #4477
Legend of Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Legend of Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alch|e|mist
Posts: 10,131
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
he shouldn't be convicted of anything imo .. the purpose of having the right of self defense is to avoid being killed or seriously injured ..

what is the point of requiring that you wait to have your skull bashed in and in a coma before you defend yourself ?

Again, how was Zimmerman on the defensive end when Zimmerman, a grown man was following a boy, a teenager. A grown man following a boy - a grown man following a boy and he's also carrying a firearm. A grown man following a boy, a boy with no weapon, while this grown man has a deadly weapon - yet oddly enough, it's Zimmerman who's in fear of his life.

Should someone have the RIGHT to defend themselves if their own life is in danger, well sure. I'm just not seeing how people are buying into the whole ordeal he (GZ) was in a position where he was defending himself.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #4478
daily
cereal killah
 
daily's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,648
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I agree with your hypothetical. However, I don't think your hypothetical is what happened in this case. The jury is going to have buy Zimmerman's story as you have. However, just looking over at google news, I see these headlines

No Zimmerman DNA under Martin's fingernails: Expert witness
Expert testifies no Martin DNA on gun grip in Zimmerman trial
Zimmerman's DNA found on gun, not Martin's, expert testifies


Which makes me the think the jury has ample reason to doubt Zimmerman's story. Since Martin's hands were found under his body, I think that no dna on his was found under his fingernails would be pretty significant. Also Zimmerman told his best friend that Martin grabbed at his gun and held it "between the grip and hammer."

"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" are the keywords we'll hear on that topic.

Those are all things that can and will be picked apart by the defense
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:05 PM   #4479
PleezeBelieve
Thunder it DOWN, Dion!
 
PleezeBelieve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,452
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Zimmerman's account of everything that happened that night has been proven to be not credible.

This will be him convicted because we know he killed somebody. This isn't rocket science.
PleezeBelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #4480
qrich
King Heno
 
qrich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tucson/520!
Posts: 20,739
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude77
not sure if they're going to but what is the purpose of having tm's mother testify ? .. she has no knowledge about what happened that night .. she's not a witness .. and her opinion about his voice is meaningless .. there is absolutely no reason for her to be testifying other than to play on the jury's emotions .. if this is allowed, then we know the judge is blatantly trying to get gz convicted

Because the prosecution's case is mainly emotion and not evidence.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #4481
ace23
*****
 
ace23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 10,241
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever




http://deadspin.com/george-zimmerman...ium=socialflow
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #4482
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 21,561
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

So today we learned that Zim lied about his knowledge of SYG laws and general criminal law. We also learned about imperfect self defense and disproportionate/excessive force response, ie, shooting someone in the heart after they hit you once in self defense when you start a confrontation and try to detain them.

We learned that no evidence exists of Trayvon touching the gun or the holster as Zim told his good buddy Osterman. There was no blood found on Zim's shirt that belonged to Trayvon even though he was (allegedly) hovering only a few inches above him after being shot in the heart. None of Zim's blood was found on Trayvon's hands, underneath his fingernails, or on his sleeves, even though he was (allegedly) smothering the bleeding Zimmerman. And here's and interesting tidbit:
Zimmerman's DNA was found in a stain that tested positive for blood near the bottom of the sweatshirt Trayvon was wearing under his hoodie. Another mixed DNA profile was found on one of the sleeve cuffs, Gorgone said, and Zimmerman could not confirmed or ruled out.
If someone is hovering over you, how does your blood end up underneath their hoodie? That seems more consistent with Zim being on top and his blood dripping down on Trayvon as Zim grabbed a hold of his clothing.

None of the physical evidence presented thus far backs up any part of Zim's story. I think the prosecution will have an easy time putting it all together for the jury during closing arguments.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 11:20 PM   #4483
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude
 
KevinNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,710
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
So today we learned that Zim lied about his knowledge of SYG laws and general criminal law. We also learned about imperfect self defense and disproportionate/excessive force response, ie, shooting someone in the heart after they hit you once in self defense when you start a confrontation and try to detain them.

We learned that no evidence exists of Trayvon touching the gun or the holster as Zim told his good buddy Osterman. There was no blood found on Zim's shirt that belonged to Trayvon even though he was (allegedly) hovering only a few inches above him after being shot in the heart. None of Zim's blood was found on Trayvon's hands, underneath his fingernails, or on his sleeves, even though he was (allegedly) smothering the bleeding Zimmerman. And here's and interesting tidbit:
Zimmerman's DNA was found in a stain that tested positive for blood near the bottom of the sweatshirt Trayvon was wearing under his hoodie. Another mixed DNA profile was found on one of the sleeve cuffs, Gorgone said, and Zimmerman could not confirmed or ruled out.
If someone is hovering over you, how does your blood end up underneath their hoodie? That seems more consistent with Zim being on top and his blood dripping down on Trayvon as Zim grabbed a hold of his clothing.

None of the physical evidence presented thus far backs up any part of Zim's story. I think the prosecution will have an easy time putting it all together for the jury during closing arguments.

I was thinking about the no DNA under the fingernails, but no blood on his hands after smothering Zimmerman who looked like this:


??
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #4484
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner
 
DonDadda59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Killing Fields
Posts: 21,561
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
I was thinking about the no DNA under the fingernails, but no blood on his hands after smothering Zimmerman who looked like this:


??

The defense's counter was that Zimmerman's blood was going into his throat and he was swallowing it, but was still able to scream loudly and clearly... while Trayvon was raining down blows MMA style and smothering him.

If the jury buys that, then there's no hope for humanity's future.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #4485
Jackass18
The Iron Price
 
Jackass18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Carcosa
Posts: 12,636
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne 1
The media, of course is trying to spin things as though the prosecution is ripping Zimmerman a new one because it boosts their ratings.

Which media? From all I've heard, they've been saying it's been an uphill battle for the prosecution, but have also said how murder trials are a roller coaster.

Quote:
I just don't think they can present enough credible evidence to the jury to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that Zimmerman chased Martin with the intent to harm him and then proceeded to started a physical altercation with him. There simply isn't enough evidence available to do so and inevitably that will lead to doubt among the jury and in the end, an acquittal for Zimmerman.

They're trying.
-Paint Zim as a wannabee cop
-Show that Zim was frustrated and angry with all the crime in his neighborhood (which a bit can be heard in his call to the non-emergency police line)
-Show that he profiled TM and went after him with a frustrated and angry mindset and wanted to take the law into his own hands
-Show that TM ran from Zim
-Also the possibility that TM was defending himself from Zim
-Point out all the inconsistencies in Zim's account of what happened
-Show that Zim was well versed in Florida self-defense law (not sure how much people will read into that as in saying that Zim knew what to do afterwards to make himself appear as innocent as possible, and yeah, you can say that's a reach)

There's also manslaughter.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:21 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy