Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #6601
Pointguard
NBA All-star

Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Unfortunately, the message of this verdict to teenagers is, if pursued, stand your ground. To them, Trayvon's biggest mistake in his life was not going for the kill. He used the other options that nature provides, run and hide and still he's dead. It creates a whole wild wild west type of atmosphere. This definitely creates a more dog eat dog world and just go for the opportunity that eliminates a threat to their life.

In a world that has people, like many here who will do the hard virtual stand up for a guy that has child molestation questions, violence with women questions, a notorious liar, these people are usually punkish or really weird in real time. On team Zimmerman here, I only think dude77 is a guy that seems like he stand up for himself, sobeit he's probably reading this with a sheet over his head while looking at the monitor. For some of the pro Zim group the hate for Trayvon is obvious to us, and most of us can see that its much deeper than Trayvon. People rarely hate on the dead that they don't know. For the far fewer just pro Zim people here, we can see some who have been picked on and needed a hero.

Zim doesn't have a strong make up. He bullied his younger family members, ethnic co-workers, ex-girlfriends, wife has a pending perjury charge due to him. He seems weak to me and his conscience will likely bother him as Oreo Cookies will balloon him to 400lbs. He will write a book and get money from a few people from this site I'm sure (which is why I think its important to sue him). If I shot an innocent boy it would work me over as well.

But the verdict means the outside world is going to get tougher and more ruthless unless the laws change and dumb liars given to stupid mistakes can somehow be slowed down. The internet thug punks will increase in numbers on youtube and basketball sites as a result. Nobody wins when the stupid are given guns.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #6602
qrich
King Heno

The message of this verdict is that evidence trumps emotion, which is the way our justice system is set up.

If you don't like it, feel free to move to Mexico where the accused have to prove their innocence. Or maybe you would prefer if everything was like Sona from Prison Break? No one wants to hear anymore of this bullshit about race being a part of this case, as it wasn't, except for the media and other so called human rights groups.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #6603
Raymone
The Chosen King

Lesson: don't assault strangers, regardless of how angry you are or how tough you want to look on the phone with a girl. You might be able to pin him down and slam his head on the concrete while he screams for help, but that stranger might just be armed.
Raymone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #6604
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ23forever
One was a case against him with regards to battery and was dropped, and the other, a restraining order which was a mutual one, he got one against his ex wife too.
according to my working understanding:

- zimmerman was charged with assault against a police officer and it was dropped when he entered a 1st-timer program or such.

- his ex-wife was the one who brought the restraining order. he only followed suit afterwards for whatever reasons / strategies he might have had.

- his father was a judge, so you have to figure that if there were any strings to be pulled in these matters, they would tend to work for him, not against him.

- zimmerman was also of legal adult age for these events, unlike martin. i think this has some significance, because the idea is to cut an underage person a little bit of slack while they're undergoing puberty and growing up. in other words, if you're going to judge these prior events with a harsh eye, i don't think you can really say martin comes off worse than zimmerman.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #6605
Pointguard
NBA All-star

http://politicalblindspot.org/george...inal-activity/

George Zim's old Myspace account was quite revealing.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:34 PM   #6606
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Right. Self defense because he was getting his ass kicked.

Which is sort of what self defense is. I never said i held zim up as a moral paragon or that he should have went after Trayvon, or even the actual robber. Given his proven fighting ability, dude should not be trying to fight crime. Dude should get an office job like me.

With that said racially profiling isnt a crime, holding a gun isnt a crime, following a person on public property isnt a crime, questioning a person isnt a crime.

The trial was to determine whether the killing of Trayvon was murder or self defense. Prosecution never effectively dealt with the injuries on Zim. I honestly believe Zim would be in jail and convicted if he had no injuries on him.

I dont know if zim's account is true, but the broken nose and black eyes suggest that he was punched, the cuts to the back of his head corroborate his claim that trayvon was slamming his head into the ground. There is no physical evidence that he hit trayvon, and trayvon had abrasion on his hand.

It coincides with his account where trayvon punched him after he questioned trayvon. Zim's account is he shot trayvon because trayvon wouldnt stop pummeling him from the mount position and he was afraid he would be knocked out from the slamming of his head into the ground. He was too weak to physically get Trayvon off him so Zim shot trayvon once to stop the attack.

I dont think prosecution managed to refute this account beyond a reasonable doubt. The physical evidence is also in line with zim's account.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #6607
KNOW1EDGE
OREGrOwN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymone
Lesson: don't assault strangers, regardless of how angry you are or how tough you want to look on the phone with a girl. You might be able to pin him down and slam his head on the concrete while he screams for help, but that stranger might just be armed.

Im glad that's what you took from this case, a pretty biased view IMO.

What I took:

For GZ: Let the Police do their job, don't follow kids and try to apprehend them cuz you don't know which kid will kick you a$$. You don't want to get in over your head trying to be a hero, and end up killing a kid, and having to deal with that for the rest of your life.

for TM: Don't try to be a tough guy, you don't know which idiot out there has a knife or a gun and will take your life because you kick their a$$. Being a tough guy wont get you anywhere. Avoid fighting, be mature enough to walk away.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #6608
97 bulls
NBA Superstar

sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CD4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuiILUUPt5VY&ei=T mDkUbXdEq2z4AO_jYGwCQ&usg=AFQjCNF_QIwbm-FcmAbpkB8AzT_NXn81AA&sig2=YuJkmtOhjibi3919VsShzA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
Which is sort of what self defense is. I never said i held zim up as a moral paragon or that he should have went after Trayvon, or even the actual robber. Given his proven fighting ability, dude should not be trying to fight crime. Dude should get an office job like me.

With that said racially profiling isnt a crime, holding a gun isnt a crime, following a person on public property isnt a crime, questioning a person isnt a crime.

The trial was to determine whether the killing of Trayvon was murder or self defense. Prosecution never effectively dealt with the injuries on Zim. I honestly believe Zim would be in jail and convicted if he had no injuries on him.

I dont know if zim's account is true, but the broken nose and black eyes suggest that he was punched, the cuts to the back of his head corroborate his claim that trayvon was slamming his head into the ground. There is no physical evidence that he hit trayvon, and trayvon had abrasion on his hand.

It coincides with his account where trayvon punched him after he questioned trayvon. Zim's account is he shot trayvon because trayvon wouldnt stop pummeling him from the mount position and he was afraid he would be knocked out from the slamming of his head into the ground. He was too weak to physically get Trayvon off him so Zim shot trayvon once to stop the attack.

I dont think prosecution managed to refute this account beyond a reasonable doubt. The physical evidence is also in line with zim's account.
But the question is WHY WAS HE PUNCHED?

And no you can not follow people. I belive people confuse following and walking in the same direction as the same thing.

Whats more, is the fact that you go through hell and high water to show the myriad of legal obligations Zimmerman didnt have. And protect Zimmerman right to follow people etc. What about Martins rights?

You focus too much on the punch. Why did Martin punch Zimmerman? How did they end up so far down the path way? This is the animated reenactment of the events that night based on Zimmerman. Notice how they show the punch, then neglect to show how the two managed to be that far down the path opposite of the direction Zimmermans momentum shoukdve took him had he been punched at that particular spot. Its BS

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jibi3919VsShzA
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:16 PM   #6609
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
...Why did Martin punch Zimmerman? ...
that is the part i am so far unable to resolve.

i don't see any evidence or motives for a person returning home from a snack run, on the phone with a female friend, with no legal record of violence, to start a fist fight with a neighborhood watch person in a car.

i mean, his dad and his future stepmom were waiting at home for him, so it hardly seems the moment to start something nearby. and if he WAS a 'punk', he wasn't accompanied by his mates... which is sort of the usual necessary ingredient in pointless scrapes and violence.

it just doesn't add up.

Last edited by gigantes : 07-15-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #6610
FillJackson
I'm down with HRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
He didn't know the main street that turns into the complex from the outside? He is supposed to be a neighborhood watchman. He didn't even know the street behind him which is only about 40 feet away. As a five year old you should know the name of two streets around you. It criminal to be that stupid but you are right, its not a crime.

I think he knew it but it is a testament to his long list of lies.

Also as a wannabe cop, you know that he felt he was "on patrol" when he was doing neighborhood watch stuff. He kept calling Martin "the suspect" and he has a "firearm" not a gun.

Also in his reenactment video, he casually mentions the exact same street name when he talks about where Martin took off to.
FillJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #6611
NuggetsFan
Nuggets/Avs/Broncos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
that is the part i am so far unable to resolve.

i don't see any evidence or motives for a person returning home from a snack run, on the phone with a female friend, with no legal record of violence, to start a fist fight with a neighborhood watch person in a car.

i mean, his dad and his future stepmom were waiting at home for him, so it hardly seems the moment to start something nearby. and if he WAS a 'punk', he wasn't accompanied by his mates... which is sort of the usual necessary ingredient in pointless scrapes and violence.

it just doesn't add up.

Most things teenage boys do, don't add up tho. Evidence or motives? When your 16 somebody looking at you the wrong way can set you off. Legal record of violence? Your talking about a fist fight. It's really not that big of a deal for some people, I know tons of dudes without a record that wouldn't hesitate to swing on somebody if they felt the need Kid could have been trying to act tough because at 17 he thought maybe the girl would think he was badass? I dunno, maybe he didn't swing first.

Your looking for something that's not there. Tons of shit kids do in HS will, nor have they have been something you can easily resolve. I don't thing there was a "right moment" for anything I did in HS

Just sucks that Zimmerman had a gun. Kid probably ends up going to jail for assault and nobody knows of this case, but because Zimmerman was holding a gun this things turned into mayhem and a tragedy.
NuggetsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #6612
1987_Lakers
5-time NBA All-Star

The reason why this case got so big was because the media wanted to create a race issue, and they succeeded. Stuff like this is also used as a tool to keep us divided, some fools are too blind to see that.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #6613
MavsSuperFan
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CD4QtwIwAQ&url=http%3A%2 F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DuiILUUPt5VY&ei=T mDkUbXdEq2z4AO_jYGwCQ&usg=AFQjCNF_QIwbm-FcmAbpkB8AzT_NXn81AA&sig2=YuJkmtOhjibi3919VsShzA
But the question is WHY WAS HE PUNCHED?

And no you can not follow people. I belive people confuse following and walking in the same direction as the same thing.

Whats more, is the fact that you go through hell and high water to show the myriad of legal obligations Zimmerman didnt have. And protect Zimmerman right to follow people etc. What about Martins rights?

You focus too much on the punch. Why did Martin punch Zimmerman? How did they end up so far down the path way? This is the animated reenactment of the events that night based on Zimmerman. Notice how they show the punch, then neglect to show how the two managed to be that far down the path opposite of the direction Zimmermans momentum shoukdve took him had he been punched at that particular spot. Its BS

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...jibi3919VsShzA

I dont think that is a big question. Zim accused trayvon of being the robber. Trayvon didnt take kindly to that untrue statement. Trayvon punched Zim because Zim insulted him by accusing him of being a thief.

I am pretty sure in public as long as you are not told by an officer of the peace or an officer of the law not to you can follow anyone on public property. You cant follow someone if cops tell you to stop, or if a judge issues a restraining order or if that person goes on private property.

Its why papparazzi can follow stars anytime they want. paparazzi can chase stars freely until the stars reach private property.
Insecure people follow their significant other all the time. Not illegal. They also hire private eyes to follow their spouses.

Edit: if following someone in public is a crime the prosecution was even worse than I thought. Why didnt they charge Zim with it then? I mean he admitted to following Trayvon.

Last edited by MavsSuperFan : 07-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #6614
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
The reason why this case got so big was because the media wanted to create a race issue, and they succeeded. Stuff like this is also used as a tool to keep us divided, some fools are too blind to see that.

Yep. Props to Lupe Fiasco for calling it like it is.

http://www.infowars.com/rapper-lupe-...n-martin-case/

Humanity coming TOGETHER = REAL civil liberties victory.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #6615
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuggetsFan
Most things teenage boys do, don't add up tho. Evidence or motives? When your 16 somebody looking at you the wrong way can set you off. Legal record of violence? Your talking about a fist fight. It's really not that big of a deal for some people, I know tons of dudes without a record that wouldn't hesitate to swing on somebody if they felt the need Kid could have been trying to act tough because at 17 he thought maybe the girl would think he was badass? I dunno, maybe he didn't swing first.

Your looking for something that's not there. Tons of shit kids do in HS will, nor have they have been something you can easily resolve. I don't thing there was a "right moment" for anything I did in HS
what a steaming load of bullshit.

if you're going to suggest evidence, then suggest evidence. if your going to suggest motive, then be specific.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: