Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-20-2012, 05:17 AM   #61
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Trayvon Martin Case

Feds are on it
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM   #62
JustinJDW

JustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this boardJustinJDW is popular on this board

Guy will get charged. Shit is just blurry and unsure at first, but the picture will come together and he'll be put away.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #63
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinJDW
Guy will get charged. Shit is just blurry and unsure at first, but the picture will come together and he'll be put away.
Those are my thoughts as well. If this case wraps up and there's still no action taken against Zimmerman, then I'm going to have a real problem. As it stands, I think things are just in the process of being worked out right now.

I understand the racial undertones, but I feel this case would be just as wrongful regardless. Again, I might struggle to articulate this, but I don't understand why any attention is being paid to whether Zimmerman was Spanish or Caucasian, racist or not racist. The fact of the matter is, he seems to have wrongfully assumed someone was suspicious, confronted them when he wasn't supposed to, then, from the information out there thus far, shot him as the victim pleaded for his life.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I honestly didn't know some neighborhood watch idiot was allowed to play cops and robbers with live ammo. "Self-defense" when he went following this kid around after the 911 dispatcher told him to stop? And fired a warning shot? Like hell. Racist or not (he probably is) this case should have been investigated from the start. It's unfortunate that it required national pressure for the government to start looking at justice.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #65
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Those are my thoughts as well. If this case wraps up and there's still no action taken against Zimmerman, then I'm going to have a real problem. As it stands, I think things are just in the process of being worked out right now.

I understand the racial undertones, but I feel this case would be just as wrongful regardless. Again, I might struggle to articulate this, but I don't understand why any attention is being paid to whether Zimmerman was Spanish or Caucasian, racist or not racist. The fact of the matter is, he seems to have wrongfully assumed someone was suspicious, confronted them when he wasn't supposed to, then, from the information out there thus far, shot him as the victim pleaded for his life.

He can be heard talking about 'effing coons' and how 'these ass holes always get away' during his conversation with 911 where you can also clearly hear him running or going after the kid when they tell him 'we dont need you to do that'

The guy was telling everyone he is white, and now it comes out he has some spanish in his family.

Its obvious he followed the kid because he was black...

Its also obvious that the police dept. has purposely dropped the ball. I cannot imagine them letting the gunman walk if the identities were reversed.

Also there is an ongoing history of bad blood between the police dept and the black community in sanford... Homeless black man was randomly attacked by the police chief's son, and the dept. tried like hell to cover it up and get the kid off... There was some other heinous incident involving the police and black victims that slips my mind at the moment

There are race issues all over the place in this situation. there are also very serious yet age old questions about the American rule of law and whether it is real or a farce...
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:08 PM   #66
ace23

ace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryace23 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

I agree with just about everything you said, but why can he not identify as white if he has a Spanish background? Spaniards are white.
ace23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #67
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace23
I agree with just about everything you said, but why can he not identify as white if he has a Spanish background? Spaniards are white.

Well, race is really only a social construct. So, there really isnt such a thing as race, but people identify with different things, so I guess he identified himself as white..

I think the bigger issue is the almost 'mississippi burning' type atmosphere surrounding this case.

Like I said, this truly about race as it pertains to the rule of law and the police and other officials who work for the state and enforce these laws.

If this is gonna be jim crow justice, then we have a huge problem, but I think the nonstop coverage will shame people into doing the right thing.

sad that it takes that much for people to do what is right
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #68
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

apparently Trayvon was talking to his girlfriend on the phone when this went down.

Quote:
Just moments before Trayvon Martin was shot and killed, he was on his cellphone talking with a 16-year-old girl. For the first time, the girl is speaking out about the last, horrifying moments of Martin's life.

"He said this man was watching him, so he put his hoodie on. He said he lost the man," the girl told ABC News. "I asked Trayvon to run, and he said he was going to walk fast. I told him to run but he said he was not going to run."

According to accounts gleaned from 911 audio recordings made the night of the killing and the teenage girl's statements, Martin eventually did run. But Zimmerman wasn't far behind, and soon the two would be face to face. Zimmerman, the self-appointed captain of the neighborhood watch, was armed with a 9mm pistol. Trayvon had little more than a bag of candy in his pocket.

"Trayvon said, 'What are you following me for?' and the man said, 'What are you doing here?' Next thing I hear is somebody pushing, and somebody pushed Trayvon because the headset just fell. I called him again and he didn't answer the phone."

The line went dead, according to the girl's account.

"He knew he was being followed and tried to get away from the guy, and the guy still caught up with him," Tracey Martin, Trayvon's father, told ABC. "And that's the most disturbing part: He thought he had got away from the guy, and the guy back-tracked for him."

link

what more will it take to arrest Zimmerman?
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Man kills another man. Deserves to go to jail.
ISH Posters: I hope he gets killed, dies slow death, raped and killed.

AMEREEACAAA. AMEREEACAAAAAAA.

G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #70
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
Man kills another man. Deserves to go to jail.
ISH Posters: I hope he gets killed, dies slow death, raped and killed.

AMEREEACAAA. AMEREEACAAAAAAA.
If it makes you feel any better, I don't hope for Zimmerman's death...because I'm not sure how much he'd suffer after he died. The fact that a trigger-happy asshole killed an innocent child is bad enough, him having gotten away with it so far just makes people even angrier.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #71
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY posts stuff that is definitely making some people angrySTATUTORY posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

brings back memory of the sean bell shooting. another young innocent helpless black man gunned down in the streets of america with no legal recourse

post racial world my @ss

Last edited by STATUTORY : 03-20-2012 at 07:11 PM.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #72
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

Here's where I'm looking for understanding of law though. What is self-defense? Does one's life have to be at risk in order to shoot in self-defense? As such, could this guy's life possibly been at risk from a guy with no weapons? Further, can someone accost an innocent civilian to the point of creating a physical exchange, then shoot when threatened? Both of those hypotheticals sound ridiculous but lawfully, can a person like Zimmerman hide behind something to that effect?

I think its called 'stand your ground law' in Florida. If someone threatens your life, you have the right to defend your self (but I believe the threat has to be proportional... You cant shoot a person for pushing you...) You cant shoot an unarmed person and claim self defense in any instance that I know of. Here in Philly I think that you can only kill a person like that if you defending yourself in your home. There is some other provision where you have to retreat and then if cornered you can use lethal force..

But none of that seems to apply to this guy. Seems like he simply had black dudes targeted and eventually this was going to happen...

The unique tragedy here is the fact that police wont do their jobs... Self defense is something that a person claims in court... not at the scene of a crime... You tell a judge why you should go free even though you did indeed commit murder.. I dont see how the cops get to decide that on the scene
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #73
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
If it makes you feel any better, I don't hope for Zimmerman's death...because I'm not sure how much he'd suffer after he died. The fact that a trigger-happy asshole killed an innocent child is bad enough, him having gotten away with it so far just makes people even angrier.

I feel fine thanks.
I agree this man deserves justice for his terrible crime, if indeed everything transpired as the media is depicting it. I havent followed it much.
However I find Americans and their violent, revengeful mindsets disturbing - generally speaking.
Many posters in this thread ask that someone (not them) commit the same and worse acts to the offender. Non-sensical to me.

All that aside, RIP Trayvon Martin, and commiserations to your family and friends.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #74
Dictator
Insidehoops Mafia

Dictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this boardDictator is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
I feel fine thanks.
I agree this man deserves justice for his terrible crime, if indeed everything transpired as the media is depicting it. I havent followed it much.
However I find Americans and their violent, revengeful mindsets disturbing - generally speaking.
Many posters in this thread ask that someone (not them) commit the same and worse acts to the offender. Non-sensical to me.

All that aside, RIP Trayvon Martin, and commiserations to your family and friends.

eye for an eye
Dictator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
DevilsAssassin
Banned

DevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDevilsAssassin is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Trayvon looks a lot like XV
DevilsAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: