Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-17-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Default What are the Bengals doing?

39 million is cap space or something crazy like that headed into free agency.

As of now, they signed one player I think. Wharton, OG.

Why they aren't throwing a 5 year/60 million contract at Mike Wallace? Not only does it make you very hard to defend on offense and helps out your quarterback and team overall, it severely hurts a divisional foe.

Or are they pulling a Bucs from last year and not spend their cap room to spend it next year?
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #2
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Default Re: What are the Bengals doing?

The Bengals are always cheap as hell. It seems like their owner never wants to make a push financial push to put his team as contendors.

As well as they succeeded last season, you would think a FO that wanted to really win at all costs would put some money into the roster to be a factor with the perennial success of PIT and BAL.

I mean, the dude's daughter acts as their GM. Wack. Trust me, I know a wack FO when I see one
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
The Bengals are always cheap as hell. It seems like their owner never wants to make a push financial push to put his team as contendors.

As well as they succeeded last season, you would think a FO that wanted to really win at all costs would put some money into the roster to be a factor with the perennial success of PIT and BAL.

I mean, the dude's daughter acts as their GM. Wack. Trust me, I know a wack FO when I see one

There is no front office. Mike Brown thinks a GM isn't needed. He's the Donald Sterling of the NFL.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Bengals are a joke, all that cap space and nothing to show for it. Good job.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Yeah, good point. I can't complain them not throwing Wallace a contract, though I'd rather have him play with Cincy than Baltimore or New England.

Pretty interesting they wouldn't even try to throw a lesser-talented WR some money to help A.J. Green out. Lord knows he's gonna be double covered every other play this season.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:00 PM   #6
franchise#3
Local High School Star

Will Simpson get jail time?
franchise#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Bengals are a joke, all that cap space and nothing to show for it. Good job.

... and they're STILL in a playoff bound even more improvement position. Mike Brown looks like a genius here, but he's really just a greedy POS who's been lucky the past few years.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
39 million is cap space or something crazy like that headed into free agency.

As of now, they signed one player I think. Wharton, OG.

Why they aren't throwing a 5 year/60 million contract at Mike Wallace? Not only does it make you very hard to defend on offense and helps out your quarterback and team overall, it severely hurts a divisional foe.

Or are they pulling a Bucs from last year and not spend their cap room to spend it next year?

Mike Brown doesn't like to make ripples in free agency unless it's a bargain i.e. T.O.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
... and they're STILL in a playoff bound even more improvement position. Mike Brown looks like a genius here, but he's really just a greedy POS who's been lucky the past few years.

Playoff bound? Come on, making the playoffs in the NFL is no gurantee. Too much parity. Bengals good one season, out of playoffs the next. Then you're magnifying how much the Bengals didnt do (spend) even more. Genius my ass.

The name to the game is improving each year. Why? Because other teams are in the process of doing just that. But hey, maybe Bengals get lucky with the draft and get some ready to contribute starters. Good luck. You're sitting on cash to make some significant upgrades and do nothing.

TB did that and they are now drafting 5th overall in the first rd. And before last season? It looked rather promising for them huh? Sure it did. Until a tougher schedule happens.

Free agency isnt over but open check book
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 PM   #10
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

He can't be cheap though, the owner that is, because there is a threshold of you have to spend at least 90 percent of the cap or something like that before next years off-season is complete. So he's gotta spend that cap space, at least most of it.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
He can't be cheap though, the owner that is, because there is a threshold of you have to spend at least 90 percent of the cap or something like that before next years off-season is complete. So he's gotta spend that cap space, at least most of it.

He'll spend it on his own players.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #12
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

It's pretty disappointing that glaring weaknesses such as RB and depth at the wide reciever position have not been addressed thus far. I just hope we can take advantage with our draft positioning.

I'm bummed we lost Frostee Rucker and Johnathan Fanene. The defensive line was a strength of this team last year, and had great depth. Right now, the unit has been thinned out.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
ROCSteady
Wall*Kobe*Durant*Pau*

Quote:

Tampa Bay didn't meet anywhere close to a previous cap floor when there was no salary cap. Hence why they were handing out big contracts like there's no tomorrow this FA.

Of course, when another team manipulates the no cap scenerio it goes unnoticed. They took advantage and it paid off this offseason. Of course, when teams like DAL and WSH outsmart the league and take advantage of the non litigation, then Adolf Goodell plays Robin Hood, robbing from the rich...
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Wallace is restricted

They would lose their first round pick to the Steelers

Might still be worth it though.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Tampa Bay didn't meet anywhere close to a previous cap floor when there was no salary cap. Hence why they were handing out big contracts like there's no tomorrow this FA.

Of course, when another team manipulates the no cap scenerio it goes unnoticed. They took advantage and it paid off this offseason. Of course, when teams like DAL and WSH outsmart the league and take advantage of the non litigation, then Adolf Goodell plays Robin Hood, robbing from the rich...

You do realize the NFL (owners) and players union all agreed on this right? You do realize Dallas/Wash are considered big markets, whereas TB is a small marker. And apart of the whole new CBA was to make it competitive for both small/big to compete right?

Of course you realize this. I just wonder why you're crying
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: