Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Jerryd Bayless

In this bleak (but necessary) tanking season, Bayless has been one of the few things I've enjoyed watching when it comes to the Raptors. Maybe the only thing lately. He's actually been pretty damn productive overall as well.

42% FG
42% 3pt (3.5 attempts per game)
85% FT (3 attempts per game in only 24 minutes)
3.9 assists with 1.8 turnovers

That scoring efficiency is quite impressive for a guard. The main question is whether that 3pt % is legit or a fluke with him being a career 35% 3pt shooter. The bad part is that he's already in his 4th year in the NBA (one with very limited minutes) but he's also only turning 24 so there might be a bit of room for improvement there. Maybe not too much though.

If Bayless can maintain that high of a % along with everything else he's been showing lately as a starter, I would not object to him being a starter on this team. I hope he starts every game the rest of the way regardless of Calderon's health. This would give the Raptors a bigger sample to work with when it comes to his production.

I've been saying it all year but this is a year to see what you have in guys like Bayless, James Johnson and Ed Davis. The Raptors have failed on that front with Davis but it's nice seeing the other two get stretches of extended playing time.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Jerryd Bayless

I love what Bayless brings on the defensive end. He will be physical with players and stay in front of his man at the same time. He can be out of control at times but he has been good this year.

I worry about Derozan and what hes brought. It is almost a must that he gets stronger.

Johnson was a solid addition. Especially defensively.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

I'm still not a fan of his shoot-first mentality. How much longer is his contract?
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I wouldn't mind keeping Bayless as a bench player but not as a starter. He's too small to play the 2 and doesn't have enough play making ability to play the 1. He's a tweener.
Zan Tabak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #5
bluerap
Local High School Star

I don't think bayless is as good as he has been playing the past 5 games but he has shown enough to warrant a new contract (he is rfa after season).

There are a lot of pgs on the market this summer but I'd rather have bayless than most of them. Felton-pass, Nelson-pass.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
I'm still not a fan of his shoot-first mentality.
That should depend on how well he is shooting. If he can maintain his 40+ percentage from 3, I say bombs away. The point guards job should be to make the most efficient decisions on offense, not just pass all the time. If that ends up taking the shots and trying to score yourself, so be it. The question is whether or not he can sustain these very good shooting #s.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
T-Low
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
That should depend on how well he is shooting. If he can maintain his 40+ percentage from 3, I say bombs away. The point guards job should be to make the most efficient decisions on offense, not just pass all the time. If that ends up taking the shots and trying to score yourself, so be it. The question is whether or not he can sustain these very good shooting #s.

I think the factor is we are all used to Calderon passing all the time we are not used to the shooting PG.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy
I'm still not a fan of his shoot-first mentality. How much longer is his contract?
Bingo. I've said this before about Bayless. Shoot-first combo guard. Jerry'd Bayless due to his size should not be a starting SG. And he shouldn't be a starting PG due to his shoot first mentality and the fact that he's not good at facilitating the offense. He would be best served in a Barbosa Phoenix type of role as an instant offensive spark off the bench. With the heavy minutes and severely increased FGA's he's been given over the past 5 games, it has of course coincided with a lot more production. We all know what he's capable of by now. But it's kind of the same like Bargnani to me. Give him the minutes and the shots, and when he's on he could go off for 30+ on any given night. But that doesn't mean he's any better at the other things he really needs to do for his position, and the things that need to be done for a winning team.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
But it's kind of the same like Bargnani to me. Give him the minutes and the shots, and when he's on he could go off for 30+ on any given night. But that doesn't mean he's any better at the other things he really needs to do for his position, and the things that need to be done for a winning team.
I don't see the comparison. At least not based on Bayless' #s so far this year. Again, we'll see if he keeps it up. Bargnani literally doesn't do two things that are critical for his position and then he tops it off by not being too efficient on offense either.

The point guard's main job is to create efficient scoring chances for his team. Whether that's scoring himself or setting up teammates. He's capable on the pick and roll, he can create his own shot and while he may not be a great playmaker he's not too bad in that department either. If the Raptors had a great offensive player, I guarantee you that Bayless nor anyone would prevent them from getting their touches. Unfortunately, the Raptors don't.

When the Raptors were decent and Calderon was running things, I always thought it was a mistake that he didn't take more shots. It was frustrating to see a player who was as great of a shooter as him pass up shots for Joey Graham or Jamario Moon or whoever else.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:34 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

If you actually pay attention to what he does in-game, it's not just that he scores because scoring is the most efficient play for him to make at the time. He looks to score literally every time down the floor. When I say that he doesn't know how to facilitate an offense, I'm not in any way just talking about his assist numbers. I called him a poor man's Barbosa (not Toronto Barbosa but Phoenix Barbosa). He's a ball stopper, he makes a ton of jump passes or passes when he over dribbles and gets trapped. His court vision seems to be limited and when his shot isn't on, he doesn't make up for it with his passing. That said, he's a solid 6th man, but I wouldn't consider him a starter on ANY championship level team unless he was pulling a Mo-Will and playing along the best or a top 3 PG in the NBA. And even a team like that is severely disadvantaged to not have a legit SG.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

When the Raptors were decent and Calderon was running things, I always thought it was a mistake that he didn't take more shots. It was frustrating to see a player who was as great of a shooter as him pass up shots for Joey Graham or Jamario Moon or whoever else.

This is my biggest complaint about Jose.
A guy that shoots 50% fg and 40% 3's needs to shoot more.

Bayless, though does like to jack it.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
This is my biggest complaint about Jose.
A guy that shoots 50% fg and 40% 3's needs to shoot more.

Bayless, though does like to jack it.
He's the anti-Calderon. Calderon shoots too little and Bayless shoots too much. Maybe if we could combine Bayless' handles and aggressive mentality with Jose's passing ability and shooting touch, we'd have ONE amazing all-star level point guard who could carry us to the promised land.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #13
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
He's the anti-Calderon. Calderon shoots too little and Bayless shoots too much. Maybe if we could combine Bayless' handles and aggressive mentality with Jose's passing ability and shooting touch, we'd have ONE amazing all-star level point guard who could carry us to the promised land.

This is like the Jose/T.J situation all over again.
Kungfro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:46 PM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Well if Nash is interested in signing with the Raptors, I hope he's ok with being Jose's backup for one year. I'm sure the Raptors wouldn't want to disrespect Jose.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
insidehoops
Administrator

The Toronto Raptors announced Tuesday guard Jerryd Bayless is expected to be sidelined the remainder of the 2011-12 season with a partially torn left oblique muscle. He underwent tests today at Toronto’s Mount Sinai Hospital.

Bayless left Monday’s game versus Orlando at the 5:25 mark of the second quarter and did not return.

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=9554#ixzz1qQjR2vVV
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: