Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #1
mamasb0i99
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mamasb0i99 has an OK reputation so far
Default good gaurds

hey guys, i play power forward on my middle school A team. I used to average 20 points a game, but i stopped growing, everyone's taller than me now. my coach said to start practicing being a gaurd, because i have a good shot and not much height anymore. do you guys have any tips on being a gaurd? i really need help.
mamasb0i99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 AM   #2
ClutchCityReturns
Decent college freshman

ClutchCityReturns has decent reputationClutchCityReturns has decent reputation

I had the same thing happen to me. I basically stopped growing in height by 8th grade (5'9") so for that age I was fine playing down low, especially since my jumping ability has always been impressive. When I got to high school I played forward on the freshman team, but the coach told me that if I didn't grow in the summer I would have to adjust to playing guard because I wouldn't be able to get away with playing forward on Varsity or even JV.

I never handled the ball on the perimeter when I played as a forward, and I only shot 5 threes all season (made 2). So in the summer I worked really hard on my shooting and my ball handling since those were my obvious weaknesses. I never did end up handling the ball a lot in the coming years, but I did shoot a lot of 3's . I actually led the Houston area in % for a good part of my junior season.

So I guess my advice to you is work hard on developing an outside shot. That's probably going to be the easiest way to make an impact. You have to work on the ball handling too, but there's no reason you have to develop awesome handles unless you're planning to run point guard. Just make sure you can put the ball on the floor for a couple of dribbles without losing it and you should be ok.
ClutchCityReturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #3
BigB21

BigB21 has an OK reputation so far

Well for one.. how old are you.. because if your around 15 or older.. id say start some kind of plyometeric training it would help with your speed.. iv been a track runner my whole life.. as well as a pg... my 100 meter time went from 12.7 to 11.9 after i was done with air alert.. and 3 months into jump soles.. so that might help.. definatly try to work on some ball handling.. and being able to dribble without looking down.. if you have any questions or w/e just repost and il read it.. i can help you with some stuff if you need it.. i have a few good sites..and some BB videos
BigB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #4
mamasb0i99

well i'm 13 and 5"10 about, i'm a really good 3 point shooter but not a very good ball handler and passer
Old 01-13-2007, 10:43 PM   #5
BigB21

well work on both of those.. just dribble the ball around the house.. say ur wathcin agame or somthin thru ur legs.. thats what i do.. maby got outside for a bit.. im glued to the courts in the summer its my life, just try to have a ball in ur hands as much as you can go from hand to hand.. dribble around.. just get a better feel with that.. better ball handling and softer hands should come with time
Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
mamasb0i99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB21
well work on both of those.. just dribble the ball around the house.. say ur wathcin agame or somthin thru ur legs.. thats what i do.. maby got outside for a bit.. im glued to the courts in the summer its my life, just try to have a ball in ur hands as much as you can go from hand to hand.. dribble around.. just get a better feel with that.. better ball handling and softer hands should come with time
ok thanks... any shooting tips?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #7
BigB21

Well depends if your willing to spend money.. if not.. definatly shoot alot.. repitition will build muscle memory to help your shots.. if so.. maby a medicine ball.. i just ordered one from jumpusa.com they have one thats reg. size but weighs 3 pounds, and boucnes like an actual ball. So im not sure how thats going to work but it can't hurt. iv been using a normal medicine ball for the last year maby.. i got pretty good range im startin to edge back twards nba 3.. highschool 3 is in my range now.. so a medicine ball will help your range.. but repitions with a normal ball with help your touch.. hope this helps
Old 01-15-2007, 02:00 AM   #8
nashforprez
Local High School Star

nashforprez has an OK reputation so far

watch a better basketball video on shooting. they are pretty cheap
nashforprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 AM   #9
JMEWLS

key to being a good guard is... great court vision, good passing skills and ball handling skills.. you dont need to have an automatic jumpshot, just get your team mates involved
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: