Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-06-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
wally_world
M0derator

Default Knick's will make the playoffs

sorry i had doubts about this team for the past season... but it has really proven that they can play! Marbury's back, Crawford's unstoppable, Lee is grabbing every ball that flies into the air... and by how weak the East is, i'll say you guys will get the 6-8th seed...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #2
idizzle
Good college starter

I agree, the Celtics suck, the Sixers, and the Nets are fighting injuries, the Knicks and Raptors have a good shot at making the playoffs.
idizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #3
wally_world
M0derator

Celtics are ok... they're not good but they don't suck either... they need PP...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Thanks for the confidence, its what us Knick fans have been insisting all along.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

it would be nice to get back into some postseason action. You what that means though? Zke gets to hang around a little bit longer. but if he can pull this team into the postseason, all good with me. prferrable with an above .500 record.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #6
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Not just the playoffs but the Championship!!! It's awesome to dream right? It would be the surprise/Cinderella story of the year if not the CENTURY.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
NeverShowNever
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Wew, I really don't think Knicks will make the Cinderella story like be a champion. This year's team I think will not make more than Conference's semi-final (if they can beat 1st/2nd seeded team of course, 'cause i believe knicks will be the 8th in east, 7th the best). With Zecke in charge I really don't think they will advance far
NeverShowNever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Let's Just Hope.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:32 PM   #9
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Good thing we have a 4 day rest, only bad thing is, I have nothing to watch for the next few days. Im not going to read any of the papers tomorrow because of the depressing effect it will take on me, sigh, hopefully Tom Tom gets ****ing fired, Tiki somehow finds a reason to come back, and Accorsi goes to hell(jp, i like the guy, im just a bit ticked at the Giants record) About the trade for Eli, although Rivers and Merriman would be great to have, and we would probably be going to the Superbowl with them,and the way Eli folds under pressure, I really like Eli, just his demeanor; hopefully he turns it around, he is still my favorite player on the Giants other than Shockey, and I dont want to criticize him lol.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:37 PM   #10
LouV

Yes, Isiah has done a great job with this team. They are heading for a great second half. I'm a long-time Knick fan, new to this forum. The hardest part about being a Knick fan is to have to read the crap some of the local sportswriters write on a daily basis. It's clear that Isiah Thomas isn't liked personally, so these writers rip him any which way they can. Marc Berman, beat writer for the NY Post, is one of the most unintelligent writers on the NY scene. He ripped Ewing for years, now he's going after Isiah. Mike Lupica is another bum. All NY sportswriters got up on their high horse and went after Isiah two weeks ago after the Denver brawl and they were all hypocrites.

But the Knicks aren't going to win a championship this year. It takes years for a team to come together and this Knick team is still in its infancy (thanks to a year's worth of monkey wrenching last year courtesy Larry Brown).

The Knicks are young and good and fun to watch, but they still have deficencies. Curry needs to continue to improve on defense; the Knicks as a team have to take it up two more levels on defense. Their guards are inconsistent as outside shooters. Curry needs to become a better passer out of double teams, and be able to score better against double teams.

But they've done a lot in three short years under Thomas. Remember, three years ago the starting five included Dikembe Mutumbo, Kurt Thomas (only player anyone wanted and he was 32), Keith Van Horn, Alan Houston, and Charlie Ward, with an unimaginable amount of undersized power forwards on the bench -- Clarence Weatherspoon, Othella Harrington, Mike Sweetney (who wasn't playing), Antonio McDyess (who wasn't playing), and the future of the franchise according to Stu Laden -- steal of the draft -- MICHEL LAMPE !!!!!!!

Thank god for Isiah Thomas. And everyone said Thomas's hands would be tied. That Knick team had long-term contracts into the forever future. Look what Thomas did! David Lee, Eddy Curry, Stephon Marbury, Nate Richardson, Channing Frye, Jamaal Crawford, etc and so forth. The Knicks have like 7 guys lots of teams in the league would love to have.

Imagine where the Knicks will be in 2 more years under Isiah. Two more drafts. And this team coming together.
LouV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM   #11
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

This team is a flawed team. But it's a young team and hopefully with the desire of the players to improve we will be a winner for years to come.

We have some of the best coaches and Zeke is a good coach, not a great one but good enough. I think he's a little stubborn but he some times does things to maintain stability.

There is a lot of talent here and he's not only trying to teach, he's trying to instill a certain mentality. He knows what it takes to win as a player and is trying to teach that to his players. It's not only about the finer points of the position or basketball it's the winning way.

How do you win? That's what a player like Marbury is learning, winning means doing everything you have to do to make it happen. It means forgetting about stats and egos and who has more playing time. It means sticking with a system and giving 100% every time you step on the court. Doing the little things that other teams do not, that's why they lose.

So it's not only learning new and better techniques like improving your free throw shooting, it's giving your heart and mind and body to the team for the only thing that should matter in sports.......winning.

If you win the rest works it's way out. You will get more money and larger longer contracts. If you win in New York you own the city....

New York City is a basketball town and if you're a Knick on a winning team you have it made. If you win a championship in NY you own the world!!!!!
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Xman DoublD

Too bad Marbury didn't decide to buy into a system last year, when we actually had a coach with the potential to deliver. Are you smokin crack LouV? Yeah Zeke has brought in alot of good players, BUT look at the price tag and look at the results! I'm not sure a semi-successful year is worth it if it means Zeke sticks around several more years.
Xman DoublD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
LouV

What price tag?

the only overpaid player the Knicks have is Stevie Francis and that was done at Larry Brown's insistance.

David Lee is dirt cheap
David Robinson is dirt cheap
Channing Frye is dirt cheap
Jeffries was a terrific free agent signing; he came relatively cheaply
Eddy Curry isn't overpaid by any means
Stephon Marbury makes a lot but you'll not get a top player for cheaper
Q Richardson makes about what he should
Jerome James was a good signing; unfortunately he's been injured

Who's expensive?

Plus there was no program to 'buy' last year. Larry Brown didn't have a program. His program from day 2 was to say that the lineup was crap and he couldn't win with this team!!!!!!!!!

Then he spent the season crapping on the sidelines like an old man. Changing the lineup nightly. Nightly!

The NY media keeps writing this nonsense that Marbury "didn't buy the program" and so fans rejurgitate it.

Marbury tried to buy Brown's "program" last year but started to balk when Brown started ridiculing players in the press. Calling Ariza stupid. James Dolan balked too; Marbury wasn't the only one.

Then this year Marbury was told from game 10 on to send the ball into Curry. Fine enough that's what he did. Then he was told to 'penetrate when the opportunities present themselves'. Problem is, Curry at this point has been a black hole. By his own admission he says he's not good at passing the ball back out. Crawford is a black hole on the right; Francis was a black hole on the left. So Marbury passes the ball around and never gets it back; or gets it back and in that 2 second span is supposed to "find an opening and penetrate". That's impossible. Isiah Thomas nor any ball-handling scoring point guard has ever had to do that -- find an opening during a two-second period on a possession. So then one game Marbury tried anyway, to drive to the basket even though there was no hole; he got called for an offensive fould and Thomas benched him for the second half. Marbury got pissed off, and the press jumped all over him for not "buying the program".

Ridiculous stuff.
LouV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:31 PM   #14
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

Great post LouV, but the fact remains that we are paying J Rose 14 million this year, and Mo Taylor 7 million. When Isiah received the team, the payroll was around 80 million, now its at 130; Its true that we got better and younger, and also that our payroll is dropping to 75 next year, so Isiah's moves may not be as bad as we think, but I expected more results by now. The first year of his regime, we were 33-49, than 23-59, now we are at 15-21, which is an improvement, but still not exactly a bright part on his resume. The Knicks are going to be good for years to come, because of Isiah's drafting, but other than that, he has done nothing well, other than being a pretty good coach. I suggest he either becomes a scout, or a coach. GMing isnt a strong point of his(signing FAs, trading, etc.) That Jerome James signing was brutal, Isiah signed him because of one good series. It was also Isiah's decision to sign Larry Brown to a monster 5 year 55 million dollar deal, even when there were no other teams vying for him! Money wise, Isiah is terrible, but scouting, and talent stocking wise, he could be the best in the league, I guess we should just take the good with the bad, and see what happens.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM   #15
Xman DoublD

Since we're on the topic of contracts, future success, etc., what do people think our future backcourt will look like? Will we stick with Stef, Francis, and Crawford or try to move one or two of them?
Xman DoublD is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: