Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-12-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
mamasb0i99
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default 100 enough?

if i wanna raise my vert by 10+ inches fast, is 100 calf raises on each foot enough? or way more?
mamasb0i99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #2
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

way more. 10 inches would probably take 6 months by yourself even if you did like 300 a day.
littlespyda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM   #3
mamasb0i99

how about 500, i'm willing to do anything, just no programs
Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 PM   #4
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

if you are gonna do that don't do them all at once.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
mamasb0i99

i know i'm spreading it out over the day.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:18 AM   #6
mamasb0i99

and i'm using weights 10 pound weights too
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 AM   #7
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

spreading them all over the day is good but i don't know about weights. you might get hurt. but im just a kid, right.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
mamasb0i99

i'm a year older than you. do you know any good programs i can use? that's near san jose.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #9
littlespyda
Decent playground baller

i am doing the phi slamma jamma program on jumpusa.com. it's really easy and i gained an inch in the first week.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:08 PM   #10
BigB21

Don't start programs til your around 15 guys.. and DON'T use weights when especially when your under 15 ur legs havn't finished growing yet.. there was a free air alert on the internet they took it down though... and a buddy of mine has started doing 1000 a day.. spread out.. its helping him.. so start higher than 100 thats not going to do to much.. but as a jump program im using jump soles its pretty good.. but its alot of work.. im 5'7 and iv been using them for 3 months.. i can now touch rim if that sais anything.
BigB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:05 AM   #11
mamasb0i99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB21
Don't start programs til your around 15 guys.. and DON'T use weights when especially when your under 15 ur legs havn't finished growing yet.. there was a free air alert on the internet they took it down though... and a buddy of mine has started doing 1000 a day.. spread out.. its helping him.. so start higher than 100 thats not going to do to much.. but as a jump program im using jump soles its pretty good.. but its alot of work.. im 5'7 and iv been using them for 3 months.. i can now touch rim if that sais anything.
how many inches did you get off the jump soles? i heard you can get alot fast.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 AM   #12
BigB21

Well it may seem unreasonable but im aiming for 45" vert.. im at 33" right now.. the most iv heard of so far by jump soles alone is 17" which isn't bad.. if you got the extra money id definatly reccomend them..
BigB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Chairman_Yao
Kids at the park dunk on me

Default Re: 100 enough?

How effective are calf raises in increasing vertical jump?
Chairman_Yao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:27 PM   #14
orfeomorfeo-ita
I hit open layups

Please, read again recent threads about the same topic. there are things already written there that will be useful for you.
However, I'll repeat the most important things:

_DO NOT USE OVERWEIGHTS, until your connettive tissue has finished its developement and growth. If you stress too much tendons and ligamens, while you'll be able to see a satisfying growth in mass and power of your muscles, you'll put yourself in danger of serious complications and injuries for ankle, knee, hip and lower back.. You should really wait until you're 18 before using overweights.

LEARN THE KNOW HOW. Your body will have plenty of time to develop, your technique will be harder and harder to train as years pass by. Take care to learn how to jump now, and then become stronger.

NOT ONLY CALF: Calf is only one of the many muscles involved in a complex gesture such as jumping is. You must take notice that feet muscles, calves, the shinbone muscle, the quadriceps, all other muscles inside the thigh, abs, back muscles, and arms are cooperating to reach up to the basket. Thinking only about your calves will only make you deformed.

Again, the simples suggestion. Learn how to jump. Moreover, learn how to run. Vertical reach depends much on the horizontal speed you're able to change into vertical speed. If you are slow, you won't jump high. However, learn how to run and jump, and if you want to train your strenght, train it completely: sprinting uphill, several forms of jumps while rising the stairs and rope jumping are good total body exercises.
orfeomorfeo-ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
timmyD
I hit open layups

i guess since im a kinesiology major i have some credibility in saying that QUADRICEPS ARE WHAT U NEED TO WORK OUT. calfs are like for all lateral movements. not for explosive power. u need to work on rim jumps and jump squats not calf raises if u are looking for MORE EXPLOSIVE POWER. i bet you didnt know vince carter squatted 520 before the 2000 olympics. how much can u squat? also think about this for people who wnat a dumed down reason why calf raisers are not what u need for vert. do u calf raise to jump? or do u squat? i hope u know that u squat. so work on doing squats movements to work on VERTICAL leap increase. calf raises are great for working on agility though
timmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: