Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation
Default Why is Stephen Curry regarded so highly?

Honest question as a W's fan.

What's his ceiling? How big of a concern is his durability? Will he ever be a remotely decent defensive player?
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Why is Stephen Curry regarded so highly?

valid question, imo.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Hes regarded so highly because he had an awesome rookie season. He was part of that high shot percentage club that only Dirk and Nash are a part of. Everyone thought that he looked like Nash's heir-apparent. With this lingering ankle injury however, we'll never know.
I think if his ankle heals to near 100% theres a chance he could be like steve nash (although I dont think his court vision will ever be that good).
If his ankle never heals then I don't think he has much of a career ahead of him.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT Ice Cream
Hes regarded so highly because he had an awesome rookie season. He was part of that high shot percentage club that only Dirk and Nash are a part of. Everyone thought that he looked like Nash's heir-apparent. With this lingering ankle injury however, we'll never know.
I think if his ankle heals to near 100% theres a chance he could be like steve nash (although I dont think his court vision will ever be that good).
If his ankle never heals then I don't think he has much of a career ahead of him.

Do you think that percentage club can be a bit overrated? I mean, being a part of it, not the actual players in it. Dirk has a unique skillset and a few unstoppable shots in his arsenal. Nash has all-time level court vision. I feel like these aspects of their game is what makes them great. The percentages thing is just icing on the cake. What is Curry's special trait that sets him apart? A great shooter, sure, but I haven't seen a great ability to get his own shot, nor is he consistently a deadly shooter. His FT % has also taken a strange and significant dive this season.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
RaininTwos
Betrayed

RaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininTwos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

good kid, glass ankles.
RaininTwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
DuMa
Canned

DuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputationDuMa has a terrific reputation

great potential at PG but like ppl said above me. glass ankles. he is gonna have to reinforce those ankles and get different shoes.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
LT Ice Cream
Warriors Til I Die

LT Ice Cream has decent reputationLT Ice Cream has decent reputation

Like I said, he showed a ton of potential in his rookie season. His isolation percentage is actually pretty good, so yes, he is decent at creating his own shot. I don't think that the high percentage is overrated because he was doing many other things well as a point guard. The warriors actually had a decent season in Stephs rookie year despite having no center and no depth.
It looked like Steph may have very well been on his way to following nash.
All the dips that you are seeing are probably due to his ankle injury.
LT Ice Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler

dunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation heredunksby has an incredible reputation here

He has shitload of potential but those injuries have limited him so far, if he manages to overcome them he can easily be a top 5 PG in the league.
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
get these NETS
you can't stop me

get these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected posterget these NETS is a pretty well-respected poster

he had a great run in the ncaas..one year

his dad,del curry, was a very good regular season shooter in the league

he came into the league with a marketable story

shown flashes of being a good player....in the league

THAT'S why
get these NETS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
FKAri
Good college starter

FKAri is considered somewhat coolFKAri is considered somewhat coolFKAri is considered somewhat cool

Steve Nash? wtf? Maybe I haven't watched enough of his games. But he has Steve Nash level passing potential?
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

cause he's light skinned and non threatening looking, for those in the business that's called "marketable"
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #12
stallionaire
UNITED WE RUN #WOLVES

stallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this boardstallionaire has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
cause he's light skinned and non threatening looking, for those in the business that's called "marketable"

I dunno. He's young and he put on a show when he came into the league. I think his fame is justified but it's lingering on too long into this season. He has potential and at the 1 position you could say that everyone gets a little overrated if they show you some good plays.

See: Jeremy Lin.
stallionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #13
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Nick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this boardNick Young has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Because he's one of the best shooters in the entire world, quick as hell and a good playmaker-could peak at Steve Nash if he stays healthy, I think he will be able to manage it.
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #14
Godzuki
NBA All-star

Godzuki has not been impressing people

he's got some of the best combo moves around. he'll do like double behind the back thru the legs, crossover shake. its jamal crawford'sh. its ridiculous sometimes. he can get real hot too, and be real pretty with some banks and 3 swishes.

biggest problem with him is he's so inconsistent from game to game. outside of his injury issues. i think Monta was easily the better player tho, and i doubt Curry ever reaches Monta's lvl.
Godzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Dub Nation
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Dub Nation has an OK reputation so far
Thumbs up Re: Why is Stephen Curry regarded so highly?

I think Steve Nash is an apt comparison. He's shown flashes of real brilliance these first few years in terms of passing and court-vision. Unlike Nash he'll probably always be more of a scorer than a facilitator, but with his stroke that's not a problem.

With that said, durability is definitely a concern. It baffles me that the Warriors training staff kept allowing him to come out and play without proper ankle support earlier in the season, even after multiple injuries in a two week span. However, I think some of the concern is being blown out of proportion right now due to the fact that they're still holding him out and probably will for the rest of this season; my guess is they're simply trying to save him the strain while they try and tank the rest of the season to ensure they don't have to give up their pick to Utah (unverified reports have also suggested this). If they training staff gets on his ass and makes sure he always wears proper protective gear, I think he'll be fine.

Defensively, Curry is unlikely to ever be even a good one-on-one defender (again with the Nash similarities). But he's got a feel for the game and finds other ways to contribute; his steal numbers are always good, and he's a surprisingly active rebounder. With Bogut and Thompson in and Ellis out we'll be a much more conventional team in terms of size, which I think will also help make up for some of Curry's defensive shortcomings. Besides all that, he now has Mark Jackson as a coach who will hopefully use the offseason to solidify our team defense.
Dub Nation is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: