Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 03-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #61
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Saints Suspensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Give me a break. Every team knows this isn't allowed, they're told at least once a year.

The NFL warned the Saints, and they ignored them and then lied about it. Punishment may be not enough.

The NFL isn't pussyfied, it's just trying to become safer, nothing wrong with that. If NFL players know what they're signing up for, why are they suing the NFL now for brain injuries? Exactly. Roger Goodell is running a business and he needs to take care of it's interests and the interest of the players. Even if the players are upset about it now. later on they won't be.

And BTW, how is the NFL any different? Every time I watch an NFL game, I still see the same passion, competitiveness, etc. The only difference now is when a player makes a dirty hit, they are penalized for it, what the hell is wrong with that?

Exactly. Every industry is responsible for providing the safest workplace possible for their employees. The NFL has improved equipment to the point where it's actually working against them. Players launch themselves like never before because of the protection offered by hi-tech helmets and pads. I wish young guys could play a game in the crap they provided in the 70s. You couldn't seel the equipment that high school and college teams used them as a kids toy now.

So, if you can't protect with equipment, the next step is legislation.

As for quality of play, that's bs. Defenders don't even tackle anymore. They turn themselves into human missiles, aimed at the ball or the opponents chin. They've become every bit as pussified as the nay sayers claim the game and offensive players have become. Watch a DB wrap up a ball carrier. Keep watching. Let me know when you see it happen.

The Saints case goes FAR beyond hitting and the physical nature of the game. It's a pattern of behavior outside the rules. They lied to the league. The coaches and players lied to the owner. They involved outside sources for money...not just players anteing up a few bucks here and there...and at least one of those sources was a convicted felon. That opens the door for gambling interests. It's way worse for the game than throwing a flag on a questionable hit.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #62
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCSteady
Roger Goodell is a piece of shit f@ggot for many reasons, this maybe cracking the top 3rd

I agree that Goodell is a douche. But this was the right move.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #63
niko
I Run NY.

if you have a problem with the punishment, that's honestly a you problem. You don't think the rules they broke are that big a deal.

But the punishment was fair, especially since they were told to stop and lied to Goodell and continued doing it for years. Not here and there. Constantly for years.

If you're a team, putting up your two middle fingers to the commissioner like that doesn't work out well.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:44 PM   #64
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

first glance I was like WTF? Pats got caught cheating and nothing except a pick and a half mil...

but after realizing that the NFL told them to quit it, and they basically said "we aint doing shit, bitch" all the while internally telling each other they gotta clean this up

steep price, more to do with future lawsuits than anything else i think
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #65
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Who is this convicted felon you talk about JMT?? I haven't read or heard about this.

I still think the punishment is way too severe but I might sway my opinion depending on tjay part of the story you talk about.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #66
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
Who is this convicted felon you talk about JMT?? I haven't read or heard about this.

I still think the punishment is way too severe but I might sway my opinion depending on tjay part of the story you talk about.
you should easily be able to find it, it's been prominently featured in the story all along.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #67
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:

How can you complain about the punishments when you don't even know the basic facts of the case? Payton and the Saints are running a rogue operation.

http://deadspin.com/5890499/meet-the...bounty-program

Michael Ornstein is the name to know. As first reported by CBS's Mike Freeman, Ornstein—a close friend and confidant of Sean Payton—Ornstein on at least four occasions pledged his own money to the Saints' defense's bounty fund. In 2009, $10,000 toward knocking an opposing quarterback out of the game. In 2011, two separate contributions to targeting the quarterback. And on at least one other occasion, Ornstein pledged his money in an email to Payton, which spelled out the details of the bounty program.

The NFL knows this because it has that email, a highly incriminating paper trail that makes it impossible for Payton to argue his innocence, or for the Saints to claim the bounty never left the locker room. It might be the single most damaging piece of evidence, based solely on Ornstein's history.

Once upon a time, Ornstein was an NFL executive in charge of marketing. That was until he attempted to defraud the league out of $350,000. Ornstein conspired to submit fraudulent invoices to Los Angeles based manufacturers, pocketing the money and never providing the NFL with the merchandise they were led to believe they had purchased. He pleaded guilty to mail fraud, and served four months home confinement, five years of probation, and paid the NFL $160,000 in restitution.

Ornstein resurfaced a decade later, as the marketing agent who represented Reggie Bush when he turned pro. It soon came out that Ornstein had been a central figure in providing Bush with improper benefits while at USC, as Ornstein competed with eventual whistleblower Lloyd Lake for Bush's services. According to a Yahoo investigation, Ornstein had paid for airfare, limousine service and luxury hotel stays for Bush's family, as well as a weekly "allowance" of at least $1,500.

Despite this, Ornstein followed Bush to New Orleans and quickly became a member of the Saints' inner circle. The Times-Picayune reported that,

while not an official employee of the Saints, Ornstein has been a fixture at practices, games and in the locker room since the Saints drafted Bush in April 2006. He often wears team gear and is a regular presence on the sideline and on the field during practices.

Payton devoted a chapter in his recent book about how valuable an asset Ornstein was to the team during its Super Bowl championship season. Ornstein was a point man for the Saints during their trip to Miami for the Super Bowl, arranging everything from daily gifts for players and their wives to strategically placed Saints billboards throughout the city. Ornstein also helps Payton with business arrangements outside of football, including the book deal and a movie script that Payton was working on last year.

Last edited by JMT : 03-22-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #68
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

And now we have a Senate investigation.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #69
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Sorry jeez.

I never saw ESPN mention a name and I don't have NFL network anymore so I didn't hear that part. Even the papers don't have a name.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #70
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Sorry jeez.

I never saw ESPN mention a name and I don't have NFL network anymore so I didn't hear that part. Even the papers don't have a name.

Try the internet!
Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #71
clipse026
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Ridiculous. Nobodies career was ended. I get the point but the facts show nothing. What a waste of time and resources.
clipse026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:34 PM   #72
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #73
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailblazers7

......."For basketball reasons"
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:27 PM   #74
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I wanna say it was too harsh.... But once you get warned and then you keep it up and compound the problem by lying about?

You deserve whatever you get
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #75
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I'm watching the Bounty stuff from back in the day. Has Dallas vs Philly. And they interviewed Mike Ditka and they asked him "Did they have a bounty on ur team and specifically you?"...Ditka said "First i never heard about that but they dont have anyone tough enough on the Eagles to do that. And they especially dont have a coach tough enough to do it."

Buddy was like (about Johnson) "I dont like him because he got my school on probation and left like a punk. No respect from me.". I loved this footage.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: