Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Two slight areas of concern

Obviously, Melo's gotta get better offensively. I think we all know that. I'm not all that concerned. Amare went through a slump this year. Dirk did too. The shortened season and lack of an offseason has effected jumpshooting. I think he should post up more and get to the foul line. Free throws usually helps your shot. He's gotta be better from the line. His shot and free throw shooting has been uncharacteristically off.

Two areas of concern for me are
#1 I know Mike Woodson is still tryna find his way as the new Knicks head coach and gradually convert to doign things his way. However, I hope it's just a matter of him figuring what rotation works best. We play entirely too many people...particularly guards. We've got to cut down our rotation. It's hard for guys to get in a rhythm when you're in and out of the game so much. For instance, Landry came out the gate aggressive, then he came out and wasn't the same.

#2 Baron Davis is going to have to get better or we're going to have to look at the d-league/waiver wire for options. He made some decent buckets last night but his TO's are killing us. It's like he thinks we're in Rucker Park. Furthermore, did anyone see that loose ball he tried to sprint for? He could barely run and he couldn't even bend down for the ball. I like Lin but let's face it. He's struggled when teams start off with on ball pressure. I'll take the good with the bad. I expect, however, for Baron to be the veteran backup we can call on to allow Lin some time to settle down and for the pressure to simmer. Baron has made some big plays but he's also been very erratic. I expect more out of a veteran.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Arrow Re: Two slight areas of concern

Yeah I sense a problem with our SG rotation especially. 3 guys are fine but 3 potential starters is a waste. We would have to trade one of them, but none of them is entirely expendable. Landry is the perfect complement in the starting lineup, Iman is a good defender, JR is a scoring threat. We need them all but they are one too many
And you can't even start JR and move Landry at his natural SF role in the second unit because how can you take minutes away from Novak at the rate he's shooting? A second unit with Landry at SF instead of Novakaine would have to rely on Baron only for scoring, which we can't afford.

I'm fine with our PG situation right now. Yeah Baron is doing well below what we expected, but he isn't our starter like we expected either.
Lin... I never bought the superstar hype, but I won't throw him away now either. He's establishing himself as a 15 ppg / 7 apg PG which is solid. He will learn to turn the ball over less.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Two slight areas of concern

My concern with Jeremy Lin is all about next year. How we he respond under normal NBA conditions when teams are more willing to play extensive pressure basketball.

Despite the muscle mass he's added since leaving Harvard I think we can all agree he's not very strong with the ball. If Lin does not develop some ball toughness then having him in the starting lineup will quickly become a weakness of this team.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
My concern with Jeremy Lin is all about next year. How we he respond under normal NBA conditions when teams are more willing to play extensive pressure basketball.

Despite the muscle mass he's added since leaving Harvard I think we can all agree he's not very strong with the ball. If Lin does not develop some ball toughness then having him in the starting lineup will quickly become a weakness of this team.

I feel you but I'm not even trying to think about it lol It's like you can't say anything about Lin without backlash from some people lol I will say, I'm OK with Lin being our NOW PG. I don't know about the future. I was very uncomfortable with the fact that he needed help last night when they were pressuring the ball. Melo had to bring up the ball in the beginning of the game. That's not good. I am impressed that he came on strong in the end despite that however. A lot of young players would have crawled into their hole and buried themselves in self pity. He showed resiliance.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Which is why Shumpert should be our starting SG. He can help take the pressure off of Lin, when teams play him like that.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Which is why Shumpert should be our starting SG. He can help take the pressure off of Lin, when teams play him like that.

Argument coming in 5...4...3...2...1
Old 03-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
He's already demonstrated that that's a bad move. He's a detriment to he rest of the team offensively.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Obviously, Melo's gotta get better offensively. I think we all know that. I'm not all that concerned. Amare went through a slump this year. Dirk did too. The shortened season and lack of an offseason has effected jumpshooting. I think he should post up more and get to the foul line. Free throws usually helps your shot. He's gotta be better from the line. His shot and free throw shooting has been uncharacteristically off.
Who cares about his jumpshot? What's really concerning is his inability to finish around the rim. He misses layups, he gets blocked, he has no explosion whatsoever. He used to have such a killer first step, now he can't get any separation.

If he could make some layups his jumper would start falling.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Can I call em or what?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:43 PM   #10
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
He's already demonstrated that that's a bad move. He's a detriment to he rest of the team offensively.

The old coach did it, he had one bad game, then got thrown into the doghouse. If Shumpert is given the chance, I am sure he will progress and surpass Laundry Fields.

I was right about 'Antoni, and I am right about this.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
The old coach did it, he had one bad game, then got thrown into the doghouse. If Shumpert is given the chance, I am sure he will progress and surpass Laundry Fields.

I was right about 'Antoni, and I am right about this.
He can't shoot, pass, or finish inside. His offensive I.Q. is infuriatingly low. He's a great defender of the bench, and if that's all he ever is, what's the problem?

Landry just needs to fix his jumpshot. You can't teach brains.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #12
Bano114
Lets go Kni....Giants!

Bano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation hereBano114 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Can I call em or what?

Bano114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:44 PM   #13
Sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
He can't shoot, pass, or finish inside. His offensive I.Q. is infuriatingly low. He's a great defender of the bench, and if that's all he ever is, what's the problem?

Landry just needs to fix his jumpshot. You can't teach brains.

Laundry can't do those things either, but at least Shumpert can dribble. Laundry dribbles like he's playing in the 1950s.

They have to use Carmelo to help take the pressure off Lin instead of the SG because his dribble is so bad. Plus his foot speed is awful.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #14
MightyWhitey
Local High School Star

MightyWhitey has decent reputationMightyWhitey has decent reputation

My concern for the NYK is the freethrow shooting. Pat Riley would be absolutely furious if he had to coach this Knick team. I remember an interview he gave after one game where the Knicks won by one free throw point where he said "This is what I stress to the team. Making ft's are just as important as making fg's." Lin's improved at the line. Amare(whom I still believe needs to be traded) and Melo still have issues and Chandler is almost always hitting them. Fields needs drastic improvement himself.
MightyWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Laundry can't do those things either, but at least Shumpert can dribble. Laundry dribbles like he's playing in the 1950s.

Landry's an excellent passer and scores very efficiently. His 1950's dribble doesn't stop him from getting into the paint and makings things happen, by passing it to a teammate (which Shumpert doesn't do), or scoring himself (which Shumpert doesn't do) or drawing a foul (which Shumpert doesn't appear to do especially well). He can't shoot jumpshots, but he's still better at it than Shumpert, and, more importantly, he doesn't try to. Shumpert seems to think he's Kobe Bryant.

Although, going by his percentages, he might be closer than we think.
Quote:
They have to use Carmelo to help take the pressure off Lin instead of the SG because his dribble is so bad.
And? I thought we wanted Carmelo to get the ball more. Wasn't that one of the complaints about D'antoni? You know, after you were done complaining about Carmelo having the ball too much.

And of course we certainly don't want Shumpert to have the ball, because he's so bad with it.

Quote:
Plus his foot speed is awful.
Which is why he's so awful at scoring in transition. Oh wait. Or playing defense. Oh wait. Or chasing down rebounds. Oh wait.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: