Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 03:40 PM   #46
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 23,200
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
I might add Lebron James to the front page list, I'm getting some measurements of him that you can't find on draft express

9" hand length
9.25" hand width

nba.com says shoe size 14
official cavsgroup facebook says size 15
the internet is slathered with size 16

and I have some of his weigh ins at various points of his career
I actually have seen a pair of LeBron 8 V1 PE's that he wore in some games last season, and they indeed were size 16.

His normal shoe size is 15, but for in game use where your feet are taped up and double socked, you need to go up a size.
NumberSix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 03:47 PM   #47
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
I actually have seen a pair of LeBron 8 V1 PE's that he wore in some games last season, and they indeed were size 16.

His normal shoe size is 15, but for in game use where your feet are taped up and double socked, you need to go up a size.

good point
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #48
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
It'd be fun to see Jordan's hand size, or Dr. J or Connie Hawkins... those guys had enormous hands and that was part of the reason why they were able to make such amazing drives!![/b]

9 3/4" long, haven't found the width yet
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #49
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
Could you do Charles Barkley? Btw, great work. Thanks.

I'll keep him in mind to start looking, I might not find much on him it's usually only the "impressive" specimens that people go out of their way to take detailed measurements of. Some of the older era players don't even get measured (Hakeem, Ewing, Ralph Sampson) - Sampson outright refused when pressured for it (because he's virtually the same height as Kareem, if not a smidge shorter, he isn't 7'4). But if IIRC Barkley's precise height was 6'4 7/8 (or maybe it was 5/8) for the '92 Olympics. There's a popular pic of him being arrested that people like to use to suggest otherwise but that is him in whatever shoes he was wearing - barefoot he's very often cited to be right around 6'5
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #50
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Very informative thread. By the way Russell was measured at 6'9.5" without shoes.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #51
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

I wish that in the 2012 Olympics. Team USA will measure the players height, weight, and wingspan.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:37 PM   #52
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Very informative thread. By the way Russell was measured at 6'9.5" without shoes.

Thanks, do you have a source? I always like to bookmark or take note of sources
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:38 PM   #53
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Thanks, do you have a source? I always like to bookmark or take note of sources


http://grove.ufl.edu/~cwarner/century/Russell.html
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #54
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Why do the NBA players inflated or over billed there players height? This ain't professional wrestling. In our country 70-80% of the players listed height are without shoes measurement.

You have 5'11" Derek Fisher being listed at 6'1"
You have 6'1.5" Derrick Rose being listed at 6'3"
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Why do the NBA players inflated or over billed there players height? This ain't professional wrestling. In our country 70-80% of the players listed height are without shoes measurement.

You have 5'11" Derek Fisher being listed at 6'1"
You have 6'1.5" Derrick Rose being listed at 6'3"

Because money talks + when it first was happening they easily got away with it w/o anyone ever knowing.

In the 1960's nobody had any reasons whatsoever to inflate a players height unless it was to intimidate maybe, but even that didn't really do anything because in the small league everybody knew how tall you were once they played you - there really wasn't a benefit to being "taller" on paper.

Then you have the transition period into the 1980's when the NBA was expanding and superstars of a new media age were being drafted. When contracts were getting into the millions, shit got real. A guy who is big is worth more than a guy who is not. Hence, ~6'7.5 Magic became 6'9 and ~7'1.5 Ralph Sampson became 7'4. It was at it's most ridiculous in those 1980's years because there was really no draft data or anybody around to force those guys to be measured. Once those pro's went into international competition though, a the majority were getting exposed as overbilled. At the time, an alraedy (billed) 7'1 235 David Robinson was measured 7'0 and 226 by a suspicious 1989 Olympic committee. And after '92 exposed most of the dream-teams inflated measurements it was pretty much an exposed thing at that point. The league's, and colleges excuses for allowing players to be billed this way is "well that's their height in shoes"... And the league has stuck to that lame excuse ever since despite the fact that it is total B.S. because Dwight Howard for example, was 6'10.25 in his shoes, and got listed 6'11 anyways. And players come into draft camps deliberately wearing larger shoes than they'll play in anyways. And not every player even does that some (it's rare) actually list barefoot like how the NBA used to do it before it became big market. It's dumb, I agree, but that's what they want to do I guess - basically any player pretty much picks his own height as long as it is within ~2 inches of his actual height.

Last edited by CavaliersFTW : 04-12-2012 at 07:10 PM.
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #56
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
Because money talks + when it first was happening they easily got away with it w/o anyone ever knowing.

In the 1960's nobody had any reasons whatsoever to inflate a players height unless it was to intimidate maybe, but even that didn't really do anything because in the small league everybody knew how tall you were once they played you - there really wasn't a benefit to being "taller" on paper.

Then you have the transition period into the 1980's when the NBA was expanding and superstars of a new media age were being drafted. When contracts were getting into the millions, shit got real. A guy who is big is worth more than a guy who is not. Hence, ~6'7.5 Magic became 6'9 and ~7'1.5 Ralph Sampson became 7'4. It was at it's most ridiculous in those 1980's years because there was really no draft data or anybody around to force those guys to be measured. Once those pro's went into international competition though, a the majority were getting exposed as overbilled. At the time, an alraedy (billed) 7'1 235 David Robinson was measured 7'0 and 226 by a suspicious 1989 Olympic committee. And after '92 exposed most of the dream-teams inflated measurements it was pretty much an exposed thing at that point. The league's, and colleges excuses for allowing players to be billed this way is "well that's their height in shoes"... And the league has stuck to that lame excuse ever since despite the fact that it is total B.S. because Dwight Howard for example, was 6'10.25 in his shoes, and got listed 6'11 anyways. And players come into draft camps deliberately wearing larger shoes than they'll play in anyways. And not every player even does that some (it's rare) actually list barefoot like how the NBA used to do it before it became big market. It's dumb, I agree, but that's what they want to do I guess - basically any player pretty much picks his own height as long as it is within ~2 inches of his actual height.


Future Positive Repped. LMAO at 5'8'5'9" JJ Barea who claimed that he's 6 feet tall. 5'10" George Lopez is taller than him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqaweoL92E4

http://www.celebheights.com/s/George-Lopez-613.html
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #57
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player
 
Lebron23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: LeBronville
Posts: 45,791
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

What's Wilt, Kareem, and Russell's vertical leap?
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #58
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,662
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
What's Wilt, Kareem, and Russell's vertical leap?
56/12/8
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #59
dunksby
ISH's Scribbler
 
dunksby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,662
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Scary how KD has got essentially the same wingspan as these guys
dunksby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #60
CavaliersFTW
5-time NBA All-Star
 
CavaliersFTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 11,647
Default Re: Kareem, Wilt, Bill Russell - Detailed Player Measurements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
What's Wilt, Kareem, and Russell's vertical leap?
Nobody measured that kind of thing with any sort of consistency (therefore accuracy) back that far. Only in the past decade can any vertical leap numbers be trusted
CavaliersFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy