Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #1651
AlonzoGOAT
Banned

AlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Its pretty crazy to think that Upton can be shipped out, especially after the year he and the team had last year. I guess its their way of admitting that they had guys that played way over their head (Kennedy) and it would be difficult to replicate their success so if the right offer comes up then why not?

Ruggiano has been awesome for the Fish so far. Led the league in OPS in June (albeit a very small sample size) and blasted another HR today.

Heys susfan don't you think the marlins line up will be badass once their healthy?

In no order:
Lee
Lomo
Reyes
Stanton
Ruggiano
Hanley
Emilio
Big Z lol
Buck
AlonzoGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #1652
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Are you sure he's such a huge upgrade? You can't really judge jays hitting prospects at AAA because that park/league just distorts numbers. If anything arencibia was better there than darnaud is
D'Arnaud has better tools across the board besides maybe power.

If everything clicks, D'Arnaud is a .300 hitter with 20-25 home runs annually and way better defense than JP. Plus, D'Arnaud is really athletic for a Catcher and could potentially steal 15 bases a year.

JP literally brings nothing to the table besides power. But he's still valuable because he has really good power. But D'Arnaud is better.

Last edited by irondarts : 07-07-2012 at 05:01 PM.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #1653
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
And if it was last year, I bet the Jays would've included him. But JP Arencibia REALLY sucks. Upton is more of a luxury for the Jays if they were to chase him. The offense is fine, the LF situation isn't good but there are options in the minors. I think the likely big upgrade that D'Arnaud would be over Arencibia will cause the Jays to hang onto him.

I don't think they're good trading partners in the end. The Jays farm strength lies in huge potential arms in the lower minor leagues and a couple high potential position prospects (D'Arnaud C, Marisnick CF and Gose CF). The DBacks have pitching coming out of every orifice right now and don't need more.

Plus it's not like Arizona is rebuilding or anything. In the NL West, as long as you aren't horrendous like Colorado or San Diego, you basically have a shot every year. No need for the DBacks to settle on prospects that are years away from the Majors for Upton.
Well, FWIW, if Upton is traded, I think the Jays and the Rangers are two of the few teams that have the farm system to actually get it done.

The Jays have so many talented pitchers and good athletes like Gose, they could part with a few top arms and an athlete like Gose and Marisnick and their Farm would still be one of the best in the majors.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #1654
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonzoGOAT
Heys susfan don't you think the marlins line up will be badass once their healthy?

In no order:
Lee
Lomo
Reyes
Stanton
Ruggiano
Hanley
Emilio
Big Z lol
Buck

I think that's kind of what people were banking on before the season started, but soon realized that there were plenty of inconsistencies still, especially at the bottom of the lineup. Gaby was so terrible they had to make a move for Lee (who isn't so great himself) and if they had a decent option at catcher then Buck wouldn't be far behind.

If Lomo/Hanley/Reyes/Stanton play up to their potential I would be fine with an average bottom of the order but Lomo has regressed this year and Hanley went from a potential all-time great to someone who just tries to hit HRs every at bat.

Those inconsistencies kind of make it tough to determine whether they're the good team that played in May or the bad team that played in June.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #1655
irondarts

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Jays decide to keep both JP and D'Arnaud and move JP to 1B.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #1656
irondarts

Raiderfan - Have you heard anything new about the Beras situation?
Old 07-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #1657
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I wouldn't be terribly surprised if the Jays decide to keep both JP and D'Arnaud and move JP to 1B.
JP's bat only plays at C. If he played any other position he wouldn't be a major leaguer. Unforunately his Miguel Olivo-like bat isn't even looking that good for a C right now.

I think Gose is one player the Jays will be looking to trade. Rasmus is a good CF and here for the near future. The time-frame works better with Marisnick who is still a few years away.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 PM   #1658
irondarts

Zack Greinke got ejected today after throwing only 4 pitches and not even recording an out.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #1659
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
JPA repeated AAA and was older though. Also inferior on defense by all reports.
He was a year older which matters but I wouldn't think it meant quite that big a deal. Also arencibia struck out less there than darnaud does. I think darnaud is gonna be dissappointing
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #1660
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Repeating levels in the minors is a big deal for prospects. JP's first go around in AAA was terrible (sub .300 OBP) and is looking more reflective of the type of hitter he is now.

I don't think D'Arnaud will be some perennial ASG catcher but he might make an appearance or two and be a much better regular player. His peak should be a Russell Martin with the Dodgers type hitter. Whereas JP is a John Buck/Bengie Molina at his best.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #1661
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Raiderfan - Have you heard anything new about the Beras situation?
Sadly no. And the rangers apparently aren't going to do anything till they hear a final decision. It's driving me nuts.

There has been a little fan scuttle that MLB may allow the contract but count it as using up all of the rangers j2 bonus allowance. I'm glad we have all the low minors talent we got last year. He's struggling a little right now but I'm in prospect love with Ronald Guzman.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #1662
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Repeating levels in the minors is a big deal for prospects. JP's first go around in AAA was terrible (sub .300 OBP) and is looking more reflective of the type of hitter he is now.

I don't think D'Arnaud will be some perennial ASG catcher but he might make an appearance or two and be a much better regular player. His peak should be a Russell Martin with the Dodgers type hitter. Whereas JP is a John Buck/Bengie Molina at his best.
True. If that's your expectations I don't think he dissappoints. The thing is even with his struggles this year, upton is only a year older than darnaud and has a chance to be a legit hof level player. I just don't think you pass on upton to keep a guy like darnaud. Now this obviously does depend on the other prospects
Old 07-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #1663
irondarts

Gose, D'Arnaud and one of the arms (Deck McGuire, Aaron Sanchez, etc) for Upton.

or

Gose, Marisnick and one of McGuire/Sanchez/Syndergaard for Upton

Which would you rather do Owyjibo?

But considering Upton's age and massive potential I'd think it may even take a bigger package.

I just think it's strange to talk about trading Upton at this point, his potential is so massive (like, best player in baseball potential) and he's on a reasonable contract, I think their might be something going on with Upton and the team behind the scenes that is making the D-Backs want to get rid of him.

Last edited by irondarts : 07-07-2012 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:30 PM   #1664
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Also they wouldn't do it but I'd offer Hamilton straight up for him
Old 07-07-2012, 05:31 PM   #1665
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Gose, D'Arnaud and one of the arms (Deck McGuire, Aaron Sanchez, etc) for Upton.

or

Gose, Marisnick and one of McGuire/Sanchez/Syndergaard for Upton

Which would you rather do Owyjibo?
You might want to look over Deck McGuire before including him with a guy like Sanchez. I guarantee you the Jays would have no issues with letting McGuire go and I doubt Arizona would want him.

So assuming it's either D'Arnaud + single-A arm or Gose/Marsinick + one of the single-A arms, I'd probably rather let Gose, Marisnick plus the arm go. I'm personally not a big Gose fan but I like Marisnick. I just think if Colby Rasmus' resurgence is for real (and I do), there would be no room for either of them if Upton joins the team.

EDIT: Nicolino is the other guy along with Sanchez and Syndergaard in single-A.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 07-07-2012 at 05:36 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: