Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #1906
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
and believe me, most of us Reds fans are not very happy about that

Victorino is having a down year, but he would be a hell of a pickup for us.

Do you feel optimistic that you guys are gonna get back in the race?
Back to back series @ATL and @WAS. Taking 2/3 in both of them would have me believing a bit.

I think we'll at least make it interesting.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #1907
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...g-smart-moves/

Short little piece on why the moves the Marlins made aren't as bad as people are making it seem. They do have this stigma that creates automatic backlash I think if they make moves like they have now. I think media outlets going to the point of saying 'fraudulent' is pretty extreme. Wasn't a fan of the Hanley move when it first went down and I'm still a bit uneasy about it, but I do realize that something had to be done because this team wasn't going to work.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM   #1908
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateProperty
Back to back series @ATL and @WAS. Taking 2/3 in both of them would have me believing a bit.

I think we'll at least make it interesting.

on a side note, I'll be at Friday's game in Atlanta vs Philly. Traveling up north, and wanted to see a stadium I've never been to.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #1909
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...g-smart-moves/

Short little piece on why the moves the Marlins made aren't as bad as people are making it seem. They do have this stigma that creates automatic backlash I think if they make moves like they have now. I think media outlets going to the point of saying 'fraudulent' is pretty extreme. Wasn't a fan of the Hanley move when it first went down and I'm still a bit uneasy about it, but I do realize that something had to be done because this team wasn't going to work.

And yet, there's this:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/marlins...-stadium-.html

Con job, plain and simple.

Enjoy your taxes, people of Miami.

Quote:
n June 21, the Marlins had lost six of seven games and fallen two games under .500. Loria decided it was an appropriate time to give the team a pep talk. One player there called it "possibly the worst speech I've ever heard." The Marlins lost that day and then four of their next five.
Loria didn't understand that it takes gravitas to give a speech like that, the sort owned by Nolan Ryan or George Steinbrenner or not Jeffrey Loria. Players, executive, fans – they don't see him like that, not even close. They see him for exactly what he is: the architect of the biggest con in sports.

Last edited by RaininThrees : 07-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #1910
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
And yet, there's this:

Passan is a well-known Marlins hater and this is the kind of article that will stick with most people because of pre-conceived notions that people have about the club.

The team got the stadium and said they'd spend money to field a good team. They spent the money, but couldn't predict the following: Bell sucking, Hanley sucking, Reyes under performing, Gaby not being worth a roster spot, Buck not being worth a roster spot but still being on the roster, LoMo sucking, etc.

How can this be considered a firesale when they got rid of a pitcher they probably weren't going to re-sign, a slightly above average second baseman, and a bad third baseman that is getting paid to be a superstar third baseman?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of Loria or the front office at all really. They generally make bad baseball decisions and have turned this team into a shit show. If people are basing their opinions on the transactions the past few days then I think its misguided, but if they don't do anything with the money they've freed up from these moves then I would most definitely cry foul.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 07-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #1911
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Marlins aren't a model franchise, that's a fact, but I don't think the immense hate they're getting over the past few transactions is warranted.

I think they should've gotten more for Hanley and initially thought it was a bad deal for the fish, but seeing as the Dodgers will pay all of the remaining contract and Hanley isn't the same player anymore I don't think it's that bad, maybe he will turn it around, but he wasn't working in the Marlins. The team as a whole wasn't working, and the Marlins were able to get a great package from Detroit for a pitcher who wasn't coming back and Infante.

Because of the Marlins/Lorias past, this doesn't look good, but the team as a whole has underperformed, and a shake up probably will be a good thing. I don't think they should trade JJ, though.

However, hopefully they can turn the money they save from moving Hanley and use it for some other players in the future, if not, then that will really suck.

Last edited by irondarts : 07-26-2012 at 01:32 PM.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #1912
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
and believe me, most of us Reds fans are not very happy about that

Victorino is having a down year, but he would be a hell of a pickup for us.

Do you feel optimistic that you guys are gonna get back in the race?

Watching Stubbs go up there as he continues to swing at everything is frustrating. I get that. However, he's still hitting LHP as well as he always has while playing a pretty good CF. Victorino has never been that good against RHP, so he's neither an upgrade, nor complement, to what CIN already has. I wouldn't cannibalize the bullpen for a redundant OF either. Reds were smart to pass on this one.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #1913
AlonzoGOAT
Banned

AlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation hereAlonzoGOAT has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
And yet, there's this:

lol at this being a fire sale, and by the way 15 years of the marlins > 35 years of expos and only 1 divisional title
AlonzoGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:32 PM   #1914
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Marte goes yard on the first MLB pitch.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #1915
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Matt Harvey has nasty stuff, he's blowing the D-Backs away tonight in his debut, 93-98 MPH fastball, 90 MPH slider and a nasty curveball. The Mets have themselves a good one.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #1916
irondarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
Matt Harvey has nasty stuff, he's blowing the D-Backs away tonight in his debut, 93-98 MPH fastball, 90 MPH slider and a nasty curveball. The Mets have themselves a good one.
Harvey has 7 K's through 3 innings.

Here's 2 of his sliders from tonight:

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM   #1917
irondarts

Harvey is also 2-2 at the plate tonight with a single and a double.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #1918
irondarts

Harvey with 10 K's through 5 innings.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:37 PM   #1919
LiLharvard
I see GREEN people..

LiLharvard has an OK reputation so far

Carlos Santana and hafner went yard twice off two against Verlander!!!! Amazing fight back by the tribe and leyland needs to trust his bullpen.
LiLharvard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 PM   #1920
irondarts

Harvey's night is done, what a stellar debut:

5 1/3 IP, 3 H's, 3 Walks, 11 K's. (was taken out due to pitch count).

A lot of fun to watch, he has special stuff.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: