Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #2206
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

I remember right at the beginning of the season I made a post about King Felix pitching against the Indians. He threw a brilliant game but the bullpen blew a 1-0 lead in the 9th. He showed so much emotion that game you can see that he tries his hardest for his team despite them being shit and constantly blowing wins for him. All that considered its great to see him reach perfection and get the spotlight for all the attention he doesn't get being one of the few true aces.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #2207
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

I actually think the smart move is to trade Felix next year for a huge haul of hitting prospects. Highly regarded ones.

That's what they lack in the farm. The have top quality pitching that will be ready in a year, two years or three years. They do not have any bats that will be coming up though.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #2208
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I actually think the smart move is to trade Felix next year for a huge haul of hitting prospects. Highly regarded ones.

That's what they lack in the farm. The have top quality pitching that will be ready in a year, two years or three years. They do not have any bats that will be coming up though.
Mike Zunino.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #2209
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Isn't he a catcher with an above average bat? I've not heard one person say he's got anywhere near an elite bat.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #2210
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I don't really think the velocity is a concern because he has so many dominant pitches it really doesn't make much of a difference if he's throwing 92 or 97, his other pitches are so good it's not a huge issue. Not to mention his FB has a lot of movement on it. Jered Weaver throws his FB in the high 80's but he's still absolutely dominant because of his off speed stuff and how effectively he mixes his pitches, Felix is the same way.

Also, perhaps my post was a bit short sighted, I said they should never trade him, I should have said there's no reason to trade him until the deadline in 2014 if he's still not locked up, then you go and trade him, but until then? They shouldn't consider trading him, and should see if they can develop there own prospects and get a good team around him.

I think it matters when a guy who used to throw 98 and is now throwing 92-93 at age 26. What will he throw when he's 30? It may not affect his numbers now, but what about in a few years? With Weaver, he gets upto 92 with his fastball, which is good. I agree that both Felix and Weaver have great secondary stuff and that is what takes them to the next level (along with elite control); but velocity matters if you're constantly going down year by year.

As for another name on the close but not true aces yet, I have to name Madison Bumgarner. He is another guy who consistently sits around 92, but his slider is devastating at 87. Also, I haven't seen Cueto pitch much, but he's been putting up great numbers. Low walks, decent K rate, and a ridiculously low ERA...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #2211
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

mccutchen with a 420 ft homer to dead center off kershaw. dude's a beast
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #2212
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
I'd like to know who you guys think are "true #1 aces" in the game right now?

I'd go with:

Justin Verlander
Felix Hernandez
Jered Weaver
Stephen Strasburg
CC Sabathia
David Price
Clayton Kershaw

Guys I would have considered last year but are having down years: Roy Halladay and Tim Lincecum.

Close but not quite true aces for me:

Matt Cain
Cole Hamels
Halladay still is. His numbers since he came back are exactly the same AA they used to be. Lee is still really close if not one. Add greinke to the really close list.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #2213
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Halladay still is. His numbers since he came back are exactly the same AA they used to be. Lee is still really close if not one. Add greinke to the really close list.

Verlander
Weaver
Price
Bumgarner
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Cain
Strasburg
Peavy
CC
Doc
Dickey

There's your aces
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM   #2214
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I think it matters when a guy who used to throw 98 and is now throwing 92-93 at age 26. What will he throw when he's 30? It may not affect his numbers now, but what about in a few years? With Weaver, he gets upto 92 with his fastball, which is good. I agree that both Felix and Weaver have great secondary stuff and that is what takes them to the next level (along with elite control); but velocity matters if you're constantly going down year by year.

As for another name on the close but not true aces yet, I have to name Madison Bumgarner. He is another guy who consistently sits around 92, but his slider is devastating at 87. Also, I haven't seen Cueto pitch much, but he's been putting up great numbers. Low walks, decent K rate, and a ridiculously low ERA...

Felix sit at 92-93, but he can hit 96 when he wants to.

He's not out there slinging 97 consistently because he doesn't need to. He's a pitcher now and it's evident in his numbers compared to when he was throwing super hard early in his career.

He could sit at 90 and still be a true ace.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #2215
raiderfan19
Shazam!

raiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterraiderfan19 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Verlander
Weaver
Price
Bumgarner
Kershaw
Hamels
Felix
Cain
Strasburg
Peavy
CC
Doc
Dickey

There's your aces
Peavy and dickey aren't aces. Having great years, but not aces
Old 08-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #2216
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Since July 23rd Atlanta is 16-6 and have won all seven series. Oh, and they're 22-10 since the All-Star break which I'm guessing is right up there for best record since the All-Star break...and they've LOST one game in the standings.

F***ing Nationals.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #2217
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Hamilton is back. He's hit 2 absolute bombs
Old 08-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #2218
raiderfan19
Shazam!

So it's cool for teixiera to bitch but not for kinsler?

This ump is a joke. And you've gotta ring Ichiro up on a pitch that was a strike after the shit you called the inning before

Last edited by raiderfan19 : 08-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #2219
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
So it's cool for teixiera to bitch but not for kinsler?

This ump is a joke. And you've gotta ring Ichiro up on a pitch that was a strike after the shit you called the inning before

1B ump just gave you an extra out in the 9th.
Stop complaining.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #2220
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mariners sure have the shows coming to them this season. Today's perfect game by Felix Hernandez, a multi-pitchers no-hitter, and a perfect game by an opponent's pitcher Phil Humber.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: