Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 AM   #2221
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

For being in existence a relatively short time, the Mariners have a had a nice group of "generational" talents in their history. Alex Rodriguez, Ken Griffey Jr., Randy Johnson, and we might be seeing another in Felix Hernandez right now. Then they have a couple other great players that fall below those guys like Edgar Martinez and Ichiro. No World Series titles but their fans sure have had some awesome players to watch on a regular basis.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #2222
brwnman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Felix sit at 92-93, but he can hit 96 when he wants to.

He's not out there slinging 97 consistently because he doesn't need to. He's a pitcher now and it's evident in his numbers compared to when he was throwing super hard early in his career.

He could sit at 90 and still be a true ace.

I mentioned the fact that he is a pitcher now and not a thrower. And it's not an issue NOW; but if velocity continues to drop, it becomes an issue.

lol at Dickey being named as a true ace. At least Peavy has some history, he's just been injured a lot which has hurt his stock. I would tend to agree Peavy was an ace at one time, but he isn't anymore. The thing is, at the top of the top, there are only 3-4 pitchers that are super elite (Verlander, Weaver, Kershaw). Then you have elite pitchers (Felix, Strasburg, Price etc). And then there's a drop from elite to very very good pitchers (Hamels, Bumgarner, Cain etc).

Halladay would be in the super elite aces if he we healthy. Last two starts have been very encouraging. The fact is, the drop between super elite to very very good pitchers isn't big. In any given year, they can interchange, but I like to reward consistency in my rankings...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:29 AM   #2223
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
1B ump just gave you an extra out in the 9th.
Stop complaining.
Yep he did. The problem is the Yankees consistently play with a different strike zone than their opponent
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #2224
chosen_one6
Earned not given

I want to suck Mike Trout's d*** and I don't care who knows or what anyone thinks.

This man has single-handedly carried all four of my fantasy baseball teams and I got him for literally a bag of chips.
chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 AM   #2225
kaiteng
EXCITED

I didn't know that, after the Curse of Bambino was reversed, there has been the new one called the Curse of Ben Affleck, where Red Sox has never won a game on Affleck's birthday since the release of "Good Will Hunting".
kaiteng is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #2226
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
I mentioned the fact that he is a pitcher now and not a thrower. And it's not an issue NOW; but if velocity continues to drop, it becomes an issue.

lol at Dickey being named as a true ace. At least Peavy has some history, he's just been injured a lot which has hurt his stock. I would tend to agree Peavy was an ace at one time, but he isn't anymore. The thing is, at the top of the top, there are only 3-4 pitchers that are super elite (Verlander, Weaver, Kershaw). Then you have elite pitchers (Felix, Strasburg, Price etc). And then there's a drop from elite to very very good pitchers (Hamels, Bumgarner, Cain etc).

Halladay would be in the super elite aces if he we healthy. Last two starts have been very encouraging. The fact is, the drop between super elite to very very good pitchers isn't big. In any given year, they can interchange, but I like to reward consistency in my rankings...

First of all, Felix could lose velocity and still be a true ace. What don't you understand about that? His pitches all have great movement, which is much more important than a couple MPH.

Bolded part is just brutal. There is absolutely no reason why Felix shouldn't be mentioned alongside Kershaw & Verlander. There's literally NO argument to be made why Felix shouldn't be in that group.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:00 PM   #2227
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Dickey is clearly an ace.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #2228
Rose
Roses Malone

Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen_one6
I want to suck Mike Trout's d*** and I don't care who knows or what anyone thinks.

This man has single-handedly carried all four of my fantasy baseball teams and I got him for literally a bag of chips.
No kidding. a guy in my league dropped him when he had a bad week in may, thinking that was the end of his high streak.

I have him, mccutcheon, david wright, and due to all my ****ing pitcher injuries Im barely gonna make the playoffs if they started today.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:04 PM   #2229
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Dickey is clearly an ace.
One year doesn't make you an ace
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #2230
Rose
Roses Malone

Yep Jim Joyce is still a little bitch
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #2231
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

If the Pirates crash and finish under .500 I'm done following baseball forever.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #2232
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Trout is ridiculous. He should be running away with the AL MVP right now. Looking it all over I guess Cano would be 2nd in that race but he's so far behind that it hardly deserves a mention. Cano (or someone else on a playoff team) would need to have a huge September to trick the stupid voters (you know, the ones who vote for Michael Young) into not giving it to Trout.

We might be looking at a historic season from a 20/21 year old.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #2233
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Trout is ridiculous. He should be running away with the AL MVP right now. Looking it all over I guess Cano would be 2nd in that race but he's so far behind that it hardly deserves a mention. Cano (or someone else on a playoff team) would need to have a huge September to trick the stupid voters (you know, the ones who vote for Michael Young) into not giving it to Trout.

We might be looking at a historic season from a 20/21 year old.
miguel cabrera should be right there. he's hitting .327 with 30 HRs and a massive 103 RBIs already
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #2234
sunsfan1357
Word.

Though he should be mentioned as a top candidate, defense is really what is going to separate Miggy and Trout.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #2235
chosen_one6
Earned not given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
miguel cabrera should be right there. he's hitting .327 with 30 HRs and a massive 103 RBIs already

Trout has 93 runs, 22 HR's, is hitting .340, and all in 83 less AB's and at the age of 20.

chosen_one6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: