Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #2581
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Brandon McCarthy suffered a skull fracture, epidural hemorrhage, and a brain contusion after being hit by a liner. Went through a couple of hours of surgery and is recovering.

http://deadspin.com/5941193/brandon-...rain-contusion
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #2582
bballer
bballer

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation
Arrow Re: MLB Thread 2012

Great start for the O's!

up 4-0 after 1
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #2583
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...047407732-1021

Pretty nice seeing Baltimore go crazy.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #2584
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

As a Jays fan, having the Yankees, Orioles and Rays all in a playoff race is annoying. I wish the worst upon all 3 teams and hope only whoever wins the division gets in. At least the Red Sox are out of it I guess.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #2585
bballer
bballer

oh lawd this game is CRAZY!
Old 09-06-2012, 10:31 PM   #2586
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
As a Jays fan, having the Yankees, Orioles and Rays all in a playoff race is annoying. I wish the worst upon all 3 teams and hope only whoever wins the division gets in. At least the Red Sox are out of it I guess.
Well, you've had to suffer through this for what seems like forever now, haven't you? Maybe this time is more painful because someone finally broke through the Yankees/Red Sox/Rays stranglehold of that group, and it wasn't the Blue Jays.

I thought Baltimore had some potential to be a surprise team (surprise meaning 77-85 wins this year) but didn't think they'd be in the thick of the playoff hunt a week into September.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:34 PM   #2587
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't think Baltimore has broken through anything though. They may make it this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back in last place next year. Nor should anyone else. They just don't hit or pitch especially well. I stand by my thinking in that they've been extremely lucky this year. I don't think they are a better overall team than the Yankees, Rays, Rangers, A's, Angels or maybe even the two Central teams. Then again, the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006. Strange shit happens sometimes.

The Rays, they have the long-term sustainability due to their starting pitching and smart front office decisions when it comes to finding value elsewhere (creating a bullpen on the cheap every year). Their success irks me but at least it makes sense.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #2588
bballer
bballer

Quote:
I don't think Baltimore has broken through anything though. They may make it this year but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them back in last place next year. Nor should anyone else. They just don't hit or pitch especially well. I stand by my thinking in that they've been extremely lucky this year. I don't think they are a better overall team than the Yankees, Rays, Rangers, A's, Angels or maybe even the two Central teams. Then again, the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006. Strange shit happens sometimes.

The Rays, they have the long-term sustainability due to their starting pitching and smart front office decisions when it comes to finding value elsewhere (creating a bullpen on the cheap every year). Their success irks me but at least it makes sense.
y u so mad? oh yeah it's cause at the start of the year you thought that the Jays would be in the position the Orioles are
Old 09-07-2012, 01:49 AM   #2589
KG215

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

I meant break through in the sense that, for at least one year, someone else besides the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays from the AL East may make the playoffs.

I know Baltimore has a negative run differential and I'm pretty sure they've won quite a few one-run games so, yes, they've been lucky this year. Baseball is a sport where that type of stuff (teams winning one-run games or a lot of close games) kinda evens itself out due to the season being long. There's nothing about this season that you can say, with confidence, they could and should be in this same spot one year from now.

Not to mention the Yankees have a shit pitching staff due to a lot of injuries and the Red Sox are a real-life soap opera.

Last edited by KG215 : 09-07-2012 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:00 AM   #2590
D.J.
College superstar

D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Then again, the Cardinals won the World Series in 2006. Strange shit happens sometimes.

They were on pace for 90 wins until injuries hit them. They recovered in time for the playoffs. They were a much better team than their record indicated.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #2591
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer
BA doesn't mean much, OBP does, but HR and RBI are pretty damn important.

I'm not a fan of this line of thinking.

With a runner on second, a walk does not score a run, but a hit most likely will. BA is definitely important.

The Yankees being absolutely awful at hitting with RISP is one of the main reasons for their collapse.

Coincidentally they have not one player on pace for 100 RBI.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #2592
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

I agree, Batting Average is a factor, but so is OBP and OPS. I don't like taking average as the sole basis of a hitter, it's a multitude of things that make a good hitter...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #2593
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
I'm not a fan of this line of thinking.

With a runner on second, a walk does not score a run, but a hit most likely will. BA is definitely important.

The Yankees being absolutely awful at hitting with RISP is one of the main reasons for their collapse.

Coincidentally they have not one player on pace for 100 RBI.

That's more or less valuing BA with RISP, which is fine. In that situation, I do value AVG more than OBP. Like you said, with a runner on 2nd or 3rd a hit does more good than a walk. It at least gives the runner on base to score.

I'm not one of those metric stathead geeks, but I do see why someone might value OBP over BA when looking at a hitter's body of work for a season or career.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #2594
Sarcastic

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I post a lot on a Yankee forum, and the whole year the stat geeks said "OBP and OPS+ are the most important stats. The Yankees not hitting with with RSIP is just a freak situation, and it will average out by the end of the year. Everything will be ok because we score a lot of runs (doesn't matter that they all come from home runs)".

Well now it's September 7th and the Yankees have completely blown a 10 game lead. Our BA with RISP still is awful, and now the home runs are drying and so are the wins.

I understand that walks are important and BA does not reflect them at all, but sometimes a hit is absolutely necessary. In the 9th inning, down by a run with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd, I would rather have a .320 hitter with a .340 OBP (basically a guy that never walks) up to bat, than a .280 hitter with a .400 OBP (a guy who walks a ton). Or say it's 1 out, I would still rather have the better hitter up than the OBP guy who might set up a double play with a walk.

Walks are not always good, which is why they are sometimes given out intentionally.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #2595
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
I would rather have a .320 hitter with a .340 OBP (basically a guy that never walks) up to bat, than a .280 hitter with a .400 OBP
Assuming their power is equal, you would be making a huge mistake. Personally, considering hitting alone, I'd take a prime Adam Dunn over a prime Ichiro. The difference between .340 and .400 in terms of avoiding outs is huge. The most basic goal of hitting is to avoid outs. OBP measures that exactly.

Hitting with RISP is not an actual skill. Generally the guys who do it best are simply the best hitters anyways. Just like when it comes to "clutch" scoring in the NBA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: