Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-17-2012, 10:41 PM   #2701
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Well he did sit Sunday I think...

Yes, both he and Mathis were a late scratch on Sunday.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #2702
bballer
King of ISH

bballer has decent reputationbballer has decent reputation

Nate McLouth has been nothing but a plus since joining the O's.

Pittsburg must be upset seing this.
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #2703
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
well john ely's been coming out of the 'pen lately and i guess he'll stay there, even though he shouldn't be sniffing the major leagues with his stuff.

and i don't think kemp will shut it down, but honestly, he SHOULD shut it down, he's been straight garbage. i don't know what's going on with him. i doubt the injury has anything to do with it at this point but he really needs to turn it around, it's getting embarrassing and him being in the lineup is hurting the team

I was having a joke on you with Ely. As bad as the Dodgers looked over the weekend, St. Louis was worse. Here's an article detailing Kemp's last few weeks. He's getting beat inside regularly since that PIT series. Mattingly had a similar comment at the end of August.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:11 PM   #2704
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
ChiSox with a clutch win over the Tigers.

We left way way way Tio many runners on base though. I believe we had the bases loaded three times and managed only two runs off of it and one of those runs was due to an error.

Got to win these gimme games against KC tho. The sweep in Minny was a very positive sign for this team and unlike the Tigers, we beat the teams we are supposed to beat.
We are 5-10 vs KC this season
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #2705
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
The fact that the Braves are gonna finish 6 games up on the next closest team and then have to play a single game to determine their fate is f*cking bullshit. This format is a complete joke and a slap in the face to a 162 game schedule, the point of which is that the BEST teams for an entire season get into the playoffs, not teams who just put together a good 40-50 game stretch. Hopefully enough teams will get tired of being bent over by it and they will change it back, because right now it's a complete embarrassment.

In the American league it can potentially be worse. Right now the team with the 2nd best record in the league will play in a one game playoff vs. the 4th best record in the league. If the team with the 2nd best record wins that game their reward is to play a series with the team with the best record in the AL. While the team with the 5th best record(AL Central winner) will host 2 games vs. the team with 3rd best record. If things stay relatively the same it can be a potential disaster. BTW the lower seed getting HFA is only going to be for this post season. With that being said it seemed that MLB seem to have rush this format.

The Season should end on Sunday not in mid week, have a 3 game series start on tuesday while keeping monday open for tie breaker games. Start the WC playoff at the lower seed hosting game 1, Wednesday is a travel day and game 2 and 3 will be on thursday/friday. then reseed the teams based on regular season record and have the team that won the WC playoff play on Sunday.
MMM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #2706
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Clayton Kershaw has been diagnosed with a right hip impingement and has been cleared to begin throwing again. He could rejoin the Dodgers rotation near the end of the month if he is able to pitch through the pain. If the pain is too much, he will be shut down. (via rotoworld)

The Blue Jays have suspended Yunel Escobar for 3 games due to the eye black indident.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 AM   #2707
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

ballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
In the American league it can potentially be worse. Right now the team with the 2nd best record in the league will play in a one game playoff vs. the 4th best record in the league. If the team with the 2nd best record wins that game their reward is to play a series with the team with the best record in the AL. While the team with the 5th best record(AL Central winner) will host 2 games vs. the team with 3rd best record. If things stay relatively the same it can be a potential disaster. BTW the lower seed getting HFA is only going to be for this post season. With that being said it seemed that MLB seem to have rush this format.

The Season should end on Sunday not in mid week, have a 3 game series start on tuesday while keeping monday open for tie breaker games. Start the WC playoff at the lower seed hosting game 1, Wednesday is a travel day and game 2 and 3 will be on thursday/friday. then reseed the teams based on regular season record and have the team that won the WC playoff play on Sunday.

Whoa whoa. Let's not act like the Central teams aren't up to par with the other top teams in the AL. We are all only separated by a few games. And it took a ridiculous hot streak for the A's to get that record. We have a better run differential except for the other division leaders.

Not to mention we sport a nice 20-9 record versus the AL West.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:29 AM   #2708
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Speaking of the A's, just bought tickets for the one game playoff assuming they're in/have home field advantage

Quote:
Whoa whoa. Let's not act like the Central teams aren't up to par with the other top teams in the AL. We are all only separated by a few games. And it took a ridiculous hot streak for the A's to get that record. We have a better run differential except for the other division leaders.

I think going 51-19 since the All-Star break can be called more than a hot streak.

Last edited by sunsfan1357 : 09-19-2012 at 06:25 AM.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:16 AM   #2709
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Not to mention we sport a nice 20-9 record versus the AL West.

Sorry if i came across as dissing the AL Central was just saying that a playoff format where the teams with the 2 best records can meet in the ALDS seems a bit ridiculous. Anyways it can be a moot point with the way the standings change constantly.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #2710
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have to agree the new wild card system is a joke. I was talking shit on it tonight with a friend, who knows a lot more about Baseball, and seems fine with it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's completely nonsensical.

I can imagine a scenario where a team has an 8-10 game regular season win record advantage, but then misses out on the playoffs because of single game playoff?

I'm really not sure who came up with this idea, or why... but I have a feeling it has something do with the Yankees and Red Sox.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2711
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I have to agree the new wild card system is a joke. I was talking shit on it tonight with a friend, who knows a lot more about Baseball, and seems fine with it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks it's completely nonsensical.

I can imagine a scenario where a team has an 8-10 game regular season win record advantage, but then misses out on the playoffs because of single game playoff?

I'm really not sure who came up with this idea, or why... but I have a feeling it has something do with the Yankees and Red Sox.

Well it does put more importance in winning your division and avoiding the 1 game playoffs. So that is something i like but i hate the potential of the teams with the best record meeting in the first round.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #2712
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

ballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
Well it does put more importance in winning your division and avoiding the 1 game playoffs. So that is something i like but i hate the potential of the teams with the best record meeting in the first round.

Is that still possible?

I mean, if it were down to the the A's and O's in the one game playoff and the A's win, would they still play Texas if the Rangers have the best record? The way the old format was, the WCteam wouldn't play its division winner in the first round. I'd assume it would stay the same way after the one game playoff was played.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #2713
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason

It's because of two things...
1) The league is getting top heavy so with one wild card there are a ton of teams out of it early on.
2) The Yankees / Red Sox would have $250M payrolls and be playoff locks and that whole division would quit playing baseball early August.

I like it, if you look right now there are a ton more meaningful games. I think for purists, they don't care they just like to watch baseball but for casual fans months on end of meaningless games are killing interest.

I don't like that the WC team gets two games at home to start things off, that makes no sense to me.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #2714
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Is that still possible?

I mean, if it were down to the the A's and O's in the one game playoff and the A's win, would they still play Texas if the Rangers have the best record? The way the old format was, the WCteam wouldn't play its division winner in the first round. I'd assume it would stay the same way after the one game playoff was played.

From what I've seen the WC winner plays the 1st seed on Sunday. I think it is due to the scheduling being tight. Same reason why lower seed host game 1 and 2 this post season.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #2715
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
It's because of two things...
1) The league is getting top heavy so with one wild card there are a ton of teams out of it early on.
2) The Yankees / Red Sox would have $250M payrolls and be playoff locks and that whole division would quit playing baseball early August.

I like it, if you look right now there are a ton more meaningful games. I think for purists, they don't care they just like to watch baseball but for casual fans months on end of meaningless games are killing interest.

I don't like that the WC team gets two games at home to start things off, that makes no sense to me.

I think that is only for this post season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: