Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #3136
IcanzIIravor
NBA lottery pick

IcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIcanzIIravor is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: MLB Thread 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
And then he'll keep on pitching.

Verlander should be an easy win today for the Tigers. Tomorrow with Fister? Maybe. Sanchez in game three? that could be a real easy win for the A's. Given the way the A's strike out a lot, and the fact that Verlander has been pretty unbeatable at home for his career, and no rain today I think the Tigers win comfortably. The A's drawing the Tigers probably hurt their chances to win it all.

Verlander has a 7-5 record in his career against the A's. His career era against us is damn good, like 2.38 I believe, but his record shows we have pitched pretty good against the Tigers when he is on the mound. He did dominate us in his two starts against us this year, but I like how we are peaking as a team right now. Verlander is 3-3 in the post season with an era of 5.57. Somehow I think we won't be too intimidated.
IcanzIIravor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:14 AM   #3137
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Detroit is better than Baltimore. Detroit under-performed this year and really only got in thanks to the pathetic division but they might be the most dangerous team in a short series due to their starting pitching.

The Tigers dominated Sept thanks to some killer starts from Verlander, Fister and Sanchez (not the silly Cabrera "took them on his back" narrative). Plus Scherzer finally had the breakout season everyone was waiting on.
Defense nikka, it matters a whole lot more in the playoffs, ask Atlanta...
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #3138
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Defense nikka, it matters a whole lot more in the playoffs, ask Atlanta...
And Detroit does have a garbage defense. But when your pitching strikes out a shit-ton of batters, you can probably get by.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #3139
TheMan
MJ GOAT, U MAD?

TheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this boardTheMan is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
And Detroit does have a garbage defense. But when your pitching strikes out a shit-ton of batters, you can probably get by.
Until they face teams that have pitching rotations comparable to the Tigers along with better defense. That will be their downfall, mark my words.
TheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #3140
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
The one game wild card is just a joke. It needs to be 3 games, each team gets a home game.

Yep, the new wild card format makes zero sense. Why does a 162 game season come down to a sudden death play-in game?
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #3141
intrinsic
Local High School Star

intrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputationintrinsic has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
Verlander has a 7-5 record in his career against the A's. His career era against us is damn good, like 2.38 I believe, but his record shows we have pitched pretty good against the Tigers when he is on the mound. He did dominate us in his two starts against us this year, but I like how we are peaking as a team right now. Verlander is 3-3 in the post season with an era of 5.57. Somehow I think we won't be too intimidated.

Plenty of people pointed at Barry Bonds playoff totals before 2002, then he went nuts. Similar things were said about Arod before 2009(mostly out of spite). He wasn't terrible, but people ignored what he did well, narrowing it down to the 9th inning or whatever, because he was a dick. I'd be expecting Verlander to be closer to the pitcher he was for the past 1000 regular season innings.
intrinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #3142
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
The one game wild card is just a joke. It needs to be 3 games, each team gets a home game.

You're right, but I was referring to the Yankee's and A's having to go on the road to Detroit & Baltimore for the first two games of the series.

Same thing in the NL. Even though Washington has the best record, they have to go to STL for the first two games? And potentially only play one home game before getting eliminated? What the **** is that shit?
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #3143
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

tomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
Any Detroit fans down for a friendly avy bet on the series?

Or not so friendly pending on how the series goes

bet with DeuceWallaces.........his avy is gone for some reason....it was that chick
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #3144
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

They all scared anyway and the A's aren't even my favorite team!

Hopefully the A's find a way to pull out the W, gonna be tough though. Verlander this year has thrown 13 innings, given up only 1 run and has struck out 13 in two starts vs. Oakland
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 PM   #3145
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanzIIravor
A lot of his ERA woes are because of the rained out starts last postseason when he pitched a couple innings but gave up two runs, which jacked it up. The Tigers are hot as well, I think whoever wins this series probably wins the AL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMan
Until they face teams that have pitching rotations comparable to the Tigers along with better defense. That will be their downfall, mark my words.
That'd matter, but the A's have a good but not as good or better 3 man rotation. The O's aren't close. And the Yankees after CC are somewhat of a mystery. The A's were the team I didn't want the Tigers to face but given they strike out at a historic level, I'm not overly worried. I wouldn't be shocked if they won(unless they swept) but I'm not going to be shocked if the Tigers win it. In the AL playoffs the Tigers have the best rotation I'd say.

Last edited by Rose : 10-06-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #3146
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It looks like the Indians are going to hire Terry Francona as their new manager. They are working on a 4 year contract right now, but it's not finalized yet.
irondarts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #3147
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by irondarts
It looks like the Indians are going to hire Terry Francona as their new manager. They are working on a 4 year contract right now, but it's not finalized yet.
I wish the Jays could get in on him after they trade Farrell to Boston. Too bad.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #3148
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm a bit confused. How did we win the division and now we're playing on the road?

This is the new system? What a joke.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #3149
bigkingsfan
Gif-ted

bigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbigkingsfan is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
I'm a bit confused. How did we win the division and now we're playing on the road?

This is the new system? What a joke.
2-3 format.
bigkingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 PM   #3150
Rose
slightly upset stomach

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Like I said Verlander would keep pitching if he ran into trouble. After that rough first he got slowly calmed down and had a good outing.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: