Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2012, 01:19 AM   #1
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default What's your personal opinion of pride?

Serious question. It's a serious subject or topic, really. Pride is more commonplace than ever before, and while most don't exactly view pride as a 'bad thing' - it is the single most component that leads to the destruction of man.

I won't go all Biblical on ya'll with scriptures, etc. - let's just keep the convo simple. With or without religion, God, etc. - how do you view pride?

Aristotle claimed pride is a virtue, and looking at the world today, it appears that way. Does that make it right, or OK, or acceptable?

This is the vice (sin or whatever you want to call it) I struggle with the most, and it's by far the most damaging. There's a slippy slope when we define our 'self-worth' on an individual level. It's not OK to think you're dogshit, but it's not OK to think you're better than anyone else either. So where do we draw the line?

Alright, I said I wouldn't get all preachy but it was pride that turned Satan against God. It was pride that convinced Eve to act out the original sin. Pride is the opposite of love. How can you love someone else if you love yourself excessively? You just can't. If you think you do or can, then there's some mental force inside your mind that is telling yourself you're the 'exception ... that you're somehow special and different than others.

That's pride.

Pride sucks. Period.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:26 AM   #2
sick_brah07
Local High School Star

sick_brah07 has decent reputationsick_brah07 has decent reputation
Default Re: What's your personal opinion of pride?

i tried to read your post and got bored because i got no idea what your on about

have/do you take drugs?
sick_brah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Is self confidence pride? Is high self esteem pride? At what point does pride become arrogance?

Is it possible to have confidence without pride? Is it possible to have good self esteem without pride? Or.. what is the difference between pride, and just being happy about who we are? Can you have one without the other?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick_brah07
i tried to read your post and got bored because i got no idea what your on about

have/do you take drugs?

You 'got no idea' ... pretty much self-explanatory.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:31 AM   #5
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

The Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThe Macho Man is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I have very little pride. Does that make you think more highly of me?
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:32 AM   #6
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
Is self confidence pride? Is high self esteem pride? At what point does pride become arrogance?

Is it possible to have confidence without pride? Is it possible to have good self esteem without pride? Or.. what is the difference between pride, and just being happy about who we are? Can you have one without the other?

You're asking valid ?'s ... which is why I called it a slippery slope. I sometimes wonder if Christ was prideful... is God Himself prideful? I have come to the conclusion you can't love if you're consumed by pride. Yes you love, but only yourself.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #7
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Macho Man
I have very little pride. Does that make you think more highly of me?

A humble wise man > an arrogant asshole
Old 03-29-2012, 01:34 AM   #8
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
You're asking valid ?'s ... which is why I called it a slippery slope. I sometimes wonder if Christ was prideful... is God Himself prideful? I have come to the conclusion you can't love if you're consumed by pride. Yes you love, but only yourself.

But can you love if you have the opposite of pride? If to be proud is to love yourself or have faith in yourself.. the opposite of proud would be to hate yourself and not have faith in yourself. Could you really love in that condition?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #9
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
But can you love if you have the opposite of pride? If to be proud is to love yourself or have faith in yourself.. the opposite of proud would be to hate yourself and not have faith in yourself. Could you really love in that condition?

God tells us to love ourselves - no question. However, God tells us to love Him first, love our neighbor second, and lastly, love ourselves.

So yes, love yourself, but not more than anyone else.

If we follow these steps, there's no murdering, no stealing, etc. Much, MUCH easier said than done.

Pride is basically the umbrella of all other sin.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:38 AM   #10
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

if you have no pride then how can you know what you're doing is good? you need some type of feed back loop to evaluate your personal and social actions. its just when pride gets out of hand and you become a narcissist that it is detrimental.

you can't take a human emotion and lump it into a single category. everything is on a spectrum and needs to be evaluated contextually. is pride bad? depends.

Last edited by miller-time : 03-29-2012 at 01:41 AM.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:41 AM   #11
sick_brah07
Local High School Star

Quote:
You 'got no idea' ... pretty much self-explanatory.

my opinion on pride is basic,i feel pride is a great thing and the core of a success. I have a lot of pride because i feel i am a great looking intelligent person that is ridiculously successful for my age but it can get confused with arrogance which is fine because who's to draw a line between confidence and arrogance. Every person draws the line at the different point so me trying to convince someone that im not arrogant im just a proud person would actually be very arrogant so i dont bother but i have a feeling you will respond to this with a basic one line response questioning my inteligence or demanding me to explain why i believe i have a right to be proud of myself which is cool but i doubt ill respond because a person who lives there life by a book called "the bible" could never understand me

and just to let you know i am a christian by birth and do believe in "a god"
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #12
Alamo
Banned

Alamo has decent reputation

Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:43 AM   #13
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:

my opinion on pride is basic,i feel pride is a great thing and the core of a success. I have a lot of pride because i feel i am a great looking intelligent person that is ridiculously successful for my age but it can get confused with arrogance which is fine because who's to draw a line between confidence and arrogance. Every person draws the line at the different point so me trying to convince someone that im not arrogant im just a proud person would actually be very arrogant so i dont bother but i have a feeling you will respond to this with a basic one line response questioning my inteligence or demanding me to explain why i believe i have a right to be proud of myself which is cool but i doubt ill respond because a person who lives there life by a book called "the bible" could never understand me

and just to let you know i am a christian by birth and do believe in "a god"

I'm not here to bash one's intellect or lack thereof... I'm just wanting to know other's opinions on the subject. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:45 AM   #14
sick_brah07
Local High School Star

Quote:
I'm not here to bash one's intellect or lack thereof... I'm just wanting to know other's opinions on the subject. Thanks for sharing.

that is fair enough

so your opinion is that it sucks because pride can pretty much turn a "normal" person "evil" so to say?
Old 03-29-2012, 01:47 AM   #15
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
that is fair enough

so your opinion is that it sucks because pride can pretty much turn a "normal" person "evil" so to say?

I think 'evil' is a bit strong, but basically. The more you love yourself, the less you love others. You really can't have it both ways.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: