Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #16
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What's your personal opinion of pride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
I think 'evil' is a bit strong, but basically. The more you love yourself, the less you love others. You really can't have it both ways.

that just sounds like a saying. what is the evidence for that?
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:52 AM   #17
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
I think 'evil' is a bit strong, but basically. The more you love yourself, the less you love others. You really can't have it both ways.

What if you love yourself a lottttt but you love others more?

I don't think the more you love yourself, the less you love others. I think it's two separate categories. How you feel about yourself, and your general opinion of humanity. And then, your opinion of the humans you actually are acquainted with.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:54 AM   #18
Alamo
Banned

Alamo has decent reputation

Quote:

Pride doesn't have to be that extreme. It could also help you be more independent and self-confident. You must love yourself before you love another.
Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #19
MMM
877-954-1893

MMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation hereMMM has a near all-star reputation here

how can i love others if I don't love my self first???? In loving my self then I can better understand and relate to what others needs and wants are. However, in terms of Pride too much of it much like anything else can be a flaw/problematic. So, it is key in finding the balance in pride, loving your self and others.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #20
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
God tells us to love ourselves - no question. However, God tells us to love Him first, love our neighbor second, and lastly, love ourselves.

So yes, love yourself, but not more than anyone else.

If we follow these steps, there's no murdering, no stealing, etc. Much, MUCH easier said than done.

Pride is basically the umbrella of all other sin.
Do people murder and steal for pride though? Idk.. some people dont care about others not because they love themselves so much but for the opposite reason. They dont care about themselves or have any sense of worth.. so they just dont give a fvck.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:56 AM   #21
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
that just sounds like a saying. what is the evidence for that?

How can you love your neighbor if you're too busy loving yourself? I'm not saying you can't say 'care' about other people and love yourself all the same, but the act of doing so screams self-righteousness.

I know you're not religious, etc... but I think you're a pretty cool dude. What do you think of God's advice, that we love Him first, then our neighbors, then ourselves. Do you think there is a flaw behind that order?

Alright, let's take away the first step - just say love others first and foremost, then yourself last. Is that good advice?
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #22
Legend of Josh
Banned

Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamo
Pride doesn't have to be that extreme. It could also help you be more independent and self-confident. You must love yourself before you love another.

In THIS world, yes, you must love yourself first and foremost. However, it's better we love others first.

All we know for sure is this world... but that doesn't mean there's a higher responsibility in each and every one of us, that commands us to reach out and put others FIRST.

If everyone in the world always put themselves first, how long will WE last?

It's all about love... yes, love yourself, but love others first.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:02 AM   #23
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tear yourself down, pick yourself up, everything changed when you got along, seven point one took it all down, suddenly you can't even be found
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #24
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
how can i love others if I don't love my self first???? In loving my self then I can better understand and relate to what others needs and wants are. However, in terms of Pride too much of it much like anything else can be a flaw/problematic. So, it is key in finding the balance in pride, loving your self and others.

We're all different... and I don't mean to say what you said if flawed, etc. but what YOU THINK about yourself (loving yourself, etc) doesn't exactly help you better understand others, and how YOU THINK they should be loved, etc.

I think that's part of the problem... we think if we understand ourselves entirely, we can understand everyone else the same. No two people are exactly alike; that's the beauty of our grand design.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #25
miller-time

miller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postermiller-time is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Alright, let's take away the first step - just say love others first and foremost, then yourself last. Is that good advice?

i think it sounds like good advice, although i'm not sure if it is practical or beneficial in every situation. but on the face of it i think it is good.

however i don't think pride negates that advice. someone who has so much pride that it prohibits them from acting charitable or feeling empathy is probably more likely to have a personality disorder. in general i don't think moderate amounts of pride are bad. as i said before, it lies on a spectrum and it is contextual.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
Do people murder and steal for pride though? Idk.. some people dont care about others not because they love themselves so much but for the opposite reason. They dont care about themselves or have any sense of worth.. so they just dont give a fvck.

"not giving a fu*k" is pride in it's purest form.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #27
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
i think it sounds like good advice, although i'm not sure if it is practical or beneficial in every situation. but on the face of it i think it is good.

however i don't think pride negates that advice. someone who has so much pride that it prohibits them from acting charitable or feeling empathy is probably more likely to have a personality disorder. in general i don't think moderate amounts of pride are bad. as i said before, it lies on a spectrum and it is contextual.

The irony in 'acting charitable' is self-righteousness. I think it's just human nature default. There's really no way around it. I think it's a life-long process to overcome and defeat. Pride is the worst sin, but also the most common.

Again I know you don't believe in a Creator, God or whatever... but imagine you were Him... pride would have to be the sin you despise the most. More than murder, etc. For a human being to say "I don't need God, I am God!" is just ... eugh.

That's basically the world we're living in.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 AM   #28
joe
College star

joe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cooljoe is considered somewhat cool

From a moral standpoint, I see no problem with pride that is 1) earned and 2) checked.

Earned. It makes no sense to have pride in your race, or your country, or your favorite sports team. You didn't earn their accomplishments. It makes no sense to have pride "in yourself," for no identifiable reason. To feel pride because of your accomplishments is different.

Checked. When your accomplishments do bring pride, it's important to check yourself. Continue to follow the Golden Rule, and keep working hard.

Unchecked, unearned pride is arrogance. Earned, checked pride is confidence.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #29
tpols
5-time NBA All-Star

tpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this boardtpols is popular on this board

Quote:
"not giving a fu*k" is pride in it's purest form.
What? I'm saying some people have so little esteem and pride in who they are that they cant empathize with how others will feel from their actions. They dont 'love' anyone else because they dont love themselves. How is that pride? It's impossible to define it as that. It's the opposite.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:15 AM   #30
miller-time

Quote:
Again I know you don't believe in a Creator, God or whatever... but imagine you were Him... pride would have to be the sin you despise the most. More than murder, etc. For a human being to say "I don't need God, I am God!" is just ... eugh.

That's basically the world we're living in.

you are on a sporting site so i'm assuming you like sports, what do you think about pride as a motivator for competition? can you be truly competitive without pride?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: