Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 03-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #31
Legend of Josh
Banned

Default Re: What's your personal opinion of pride?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
From a moral standpoint, I see no problem with pride that is 1) earned and 2) checked.

Earned. It makes no sense to have pride in your race, or your country, or your favorite sports team. You didn't earn their accomplishments. It makes no sense to have pride "in yourself," for no identifiable reason. To feel pride because of your accomplishments is different.

Checked. When your accomplishments do bring pride, it's important to check yourself. Continue to follow the Golden Rule, and keep working hard.

Unchecked, unearned pride is arrogance. Earned, checked pride is confidence.

The moment we begin thinking we're better than someone else, that's when the line has been crossed. In the grand scheme of things, we're all the same really. No one human being is more valuable than another.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:19 AM   #32
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
What? I'm saying some people have so little esteem and pride in who they are that they cant empathize with how others will feel from their actions. They dont 'love' anyone else because they dont love themselves. How is that pride? It's impossible to define it as that. It's the opposite.

You're right... if you hate yourself, you can't really love others. Thank God we're not the ONE TRUE JUDGE, He is. Every situation is different.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:20 AM   #33
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
you are on a sporting site so i'm assuming you like sports, what do you think about pride as a motivator for competition? can you be truly competitive without pride?

I think you're talking apples and oranges. Thinking you're the greatest basketball player of all time isn't exactly the same as saying "Hey, I have a million dollars, and anyone that isn't in my tax bracket is below me" ...

There is a difference.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:22 AM   #34
joe
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend of Josh
The moment we begin thinking we're better than someone else, that's when the line has been crossed. In the grand scheme of things, we're all the same really. No one human being is more valuable than another.

Checking your pride is the act, of not allowing pride to make you think you're better than someone else. Staying humble.
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:27 AM   #35
MMM
877-954-1893

Quote:
We're all different... and I don't mean to say what you said if flawed, etc. but what YOU THINK about yourself (loving yourself, etc) doesn't exactly help you better understand others, and how YOU THINK they should be loved, etc.

I think that's part of the problem... we think if we understand ourselves entirely, we can understand everyone else the same. No two people are exactly alike; that's the beauty of our grand design.

What I'm saying is loving my self allows me to say what if I had those needs, wants, or problems that other face.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #36
TylerOO
I serve the Usher's

No pride here
TylerOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:32 AM   #37
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, we're all the same really. No one human being is more valuable than another.

Then why do you dislike gay people and deem their lifestyle wrong? That means you're thinking you're better than them and casting judgement.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #38
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Then why do you dislike gay people and deem their lifestyle wrong? That means you're thinking you're better than them and casting judgement.

You're dead wrong about that. I don't put myself above someone who's a homosexual. I don't know their entire life... I'm not God. I DON'T KNOW. I do however know it's wrong according to God's word. Just because I openly acknowledge that, doesn't mean I think I'm better than them, or anyone else.

You need to think about what you posted.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:38 AM   #39
Stuckey
ifirtworld

pride is ok, sometimes it's valuable but for the most part it's just an ego booster
Stuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 AM   #40
joe
College star

Quote:
You're dead wrong about that. I don't put myself above someone who's a homosexual. I don't know their entire life... I'm not God. I DON'T KNOW. I do however know it's wrong according to God's word. Just because I openly acknowledge that, doesn't mean I think I'm better than them, or anyone else.

You need to think about what you posted.

So you disagree with God's word in this instance? Do you feel gays should be treated the same as others in society?
joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 AM   #41
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe
So you disagree with God's word in this instance? Do you feel gays should be treated the same as others in society?

People are people. Simple as that. I'm not the judge. But no, I do not agree with two dudes playing butt-buddy. I do believe it's 90% choice, and IF THERE IS a gay gene, there's still an overwhelming factor that point ANY MALE to a FEMALE.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #42
miller-time
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
I think you're talking apples and oranges. Thinking you're the greatest basketball player of all time isn't exactly the same as saying "Hey, I have a million dollars, and anyone that isn't in my tax bracket is below me" ...

There is a difference.

but you're the one who has been saying pride is bad, and i've been the one saying it is contextual.

why are you differentiating pride in these two scenarios? are you saying all pride is bad or do you agree in some situations pride is acceptable?

from my perspective, evolutionarily, pride is a tool - it has a purpose. it can be used for good such as motivational drive and it can be used for bad such as social exclusion. it is up to us to control the negative aspects of it, and if you want to use religion to achieve this go ahead, but you can't deny the benefits of the emotion.
miller-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:45 AM   #43
Legend of Josh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller-time
but you're the one who has been saying pride is bad, and i've been the one saying it is contextual.

why are you differentiating pride in these two scenarios? are you saying all pride is bad or do you agree in some situations pride is acceptable?

from my perspective, evolutionarily, pride is a tool - it has a purpose. it can be good such as motivational drive and it can be bad such as social exclusion. it is up to us to control the negative aspects of it, and if you want to use religion to achieve this go ahead, but you can't deny the benefits of the emotion.

Pride does exist... and there must be a reason for that. I'm prideful. I can at many times be an arrogant POS, but that doesn't make it OK. The 'benefits of the emotion' is self-praise, self-righteousness - both of which lead to destruction of the soul.

We're not going to agree on this - but I understand where you're coming from.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #44
DaHeezy
College star

Quote:
Serious question. It's a serious subject or topic, really. Pride is more commonplace than ever before, and while most don't exactly view pride as a 'bad thing' - it is the single most component that leads to the destruction of man.

I won't go all Biblical on ya'll with scriptures, etc. - let's just keep the convo simple. With or without religion, God, etc. - how do you view pride?

Aristotle claimed pride is a virtue, and looking at the world today, it appears that way. Does that make it right, or OK, or acceptable?

This is the vice (sin or whatever you want to call it) I struggle with the most, and it's by far the most damaging. There's a slippy slope when we define our 'self-worth' on an individual level. It's not OK to think you're dogshit, but it's not OK to think you're better than anyone else either. So where do we draw the line?

Alright, I said I wouldn't get all preachy but it was pride that turned Satan against God. It was pride that convinced Eve to act out the original sin. Pride is the opposite of love. How can you love someone else if you love yourself excessively? You just can't. If you think you do or can, then there's some mental force inside your mind that is telling yourself you're the 'exception ... that you're somehow special and different than others.

That's pride.

Pride sucks. Period.

Odd coming from a poster who brags more than anyone else.

Serious answer
DaHeezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #45
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Its necessary to get bitches
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: