Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #16
TryToBeUnbias
Decent college freshman

TryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation hereTryToBeUnbias has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Odom and DFish return for 2012-13????

Don't really want to focus on next season but ...
TryToBeUnbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #17
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
Odom will be under contract to the Mavs next year unless they trade or waive him. Lakers cannot resign Odom if waived until December 14th 2012 and only if all the other teams under the Luxury Cap pass up on him first.

There's a reason why he's gone, he'll retire he's done with basketball.

Im trying to figure this out.

Per NBA rules, If a team trades a guy and his new team waives him, he cannot come back to the original team until his oringinal contract expires.

BUT, LA traded him, he played for Dallas, and if Dallas waives him (or Dallas deals him and his new team waives him) thus only owing him his 2.4 instead of 8.2, then his contract would have expired and he would be free to rejoin LA without any restrictions. At least thats what I think, I may be wrong.

Odom at 8.2, not gonna happen
but Odom at vet min or even 3 mil mid level, would love it.

Mac has not panned out like I thought, I love him, but he is not fitting due to lack of time, or used improperly, or whatever
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #18
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Im trying to figure this out.

Per NBA rules, If a team trades a guy and his new team waives him, he cannot come back to the original team until his oringinal contract expires.

BUT, LA traded him, he played for Dallas, and if Dallas waives him (or Dallas deals him and his new team waives him) thus only owing him his 2.4 instead of 8.2, then his contract would have expired and he would be free to rejoin LA without any restrictions. At least thats what I think, I may be wrong.

Odom at 8.2, not gonna happen
but Odom at vet min or even 3 mil mid level, would love it.

Mac has not panned out like I thought, I love him, but he is not fitting due to lack of time, or used improperly, or whatever
It's the original date of the contract expiration or one year from the trade date whichever comes first. He had two years on the contract so it's July 1st 2013 for the original date of the contract expiration or December 19 2012 the trade date which obviously comes first.
It doesn't matter when the contract is bought out by the Mavs so the Lakers cannot even speak to Odom or his reps until one year from he date of the trade, the new rule was put in place to stop teams from using players as filler to make the trade numbers work knowing full well the new team would waive him and he'd refuse offers from other teams then resign with his old team.

It was a way teams circumvented the cap rules so they implemented the two new rules that effect the Lakers.

#1 They can't even speak to him until one year from the date of the trade and the other. This rule is in place for all teams no matter the payroll numbers.

#2 which is more important for Lakers fans is that the Lakers being into the Lux tax bracket cannot even offer him a contract until all the teams under the cap have a chance at him and at that the Lakers can only offer him a short term contract at the minimum.

This is why we'll see the Lakers doing things the next few years that make no sense on the surface but to put a competitive team on the floor, one they are able to adjust on the fly and take advantage of the real talent that's available they have to get under the lux tax limit. If they stay where they are or continue to operate in the way Laker fans have become accustomed to they will be paralyzed by the crippling CBA.

Last edited by BØBØ : 05-14-2012 at 11:27 PM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #19
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
It's the original date of the contract expiration or one year from the trade date whichever comes first. He had two years on the contract so it's July 1st 2013 for the original date of the contract expiration or December 19 2012 the trade date which obviously comes first.
It doesn't matter when the contract is bought out by the Mavs so the Lakers cannot even speak to Odom or his reps until one year from he date of the trade, the new rule was put in place to stop teams from using players as filler to make the trade numbers work knowing full well the new team would waive him and he'd refuse offers from other teams then resign with his old team.

It was a way teams circumvented the cap rules so they implemented the two new rules that effect the Lakers.

#1 They can't even speak to him until one year from the date of the trade and the other. This rule is in place for all teams no matter the payroll numbers.

#2 which is more important for Lakers fans is that the Lakers being into the Lux tax bracket cannot even offer him a contract until all the teams under the cap have a chance at him and at that the Lakers can only offer him a short term contract at the minimum.

This is why we'll see the Lakers doing things the next few years that make no sense on the surface but to put a competitive team on the floor, one they are able to adjust on the fly and take advantage of the real talent that's available they have to get under the lux tax limit. If they stay where they are or continue to operate in the way Laker fans have become accustomed to they will be paralyzed by the crippling CBA.

I very seriously doubt any team outside L.A or N.Y would take a chance on him.....why gamble??? Potential team destroying move!!!

I very seriously doubt he'd ever be happy unless he was in L.A or N.Y.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #20
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

Quote:
It's the original date of the contract expiration or one year from the trade date whichever comes first.

good work, I learned something new today
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I very seriously doubt any team outside L.A or N.Y would take a chance on him.....why gamble??? Potential team destroying move!!!

I very seriously doubt he'd ever be happy unless he was in L.A or N.Y.

Odom was great for not only the players surrounding him here, but also Phil's system.

He came in this year out of shape as well. Combine that with Mike Brown's offensive system which is below average and you probably have an Odom averaging 1 point on 10% shooting rather than his averages on Dallas which would be superb relatively speaking.

So I think it would be a bad move for us too.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #22
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Odom was great for not only the players surrounding him here, but also Phil's system.

He came in this year out of shape as well. Combine that with Mike Brown's offensive system which is below average and you probably have an Odom averaging 1 point on 10% shooting rather than his averages on Dallas which would be superb relatively speaking.

Please describe this "Mike Brown System" you speak of????

LMAO at remembering that Mike Brown said the Lakers would be an up-tempo running team this year. When he said it I was like "WTF is this idiot babbling about" "Didn't he see our roster????". MB is a good to great talker as long as you do not know the game or are not listening closely. Our F.O apparently didn't review his coaching before they made the impulse move to hire him......kinda like McCain choosing Sarah Palin
Old 05-15-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Please describe this "Mike Brown System" you speak of????

LMAO at remembering that Mike Brown said the Lakers would be an up-tempo running team this year. When he said it I was like "WTF is this idiot babbling about" "Didn't he see our roster????". MB is a good to great talker as long as you do not know the game or are not listening closely. Our F.O apparently didn't review his coaching before they made the impulse move to hire him......kinda like McCain choosing Sarah Palin

I mean, you gotta remember what they were looking for here. They didn't want Shaw because they wanted to just replace all the old familiar faces and systems. Adelman's coaching was much similar to what our offense was before hand. So who was the most different at that time than a defensive minded coach, who has a resume that involved taking the cavs to the finals with only one superstar?

Im not sugar coating his resume just so you know, but Im putting myself in LA management's shoes and trying to decipher what they were thinking. His resume doesn't say HOW he got to the finals with one superstar....it just said he did....just sayin

I don't remember Brown wanting to make this team uptempo. But if he did say that, then I'd say he gets an F.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
DKLaker

Quote:
I mean, you gotta remember what they were looking for here. They didn't want Shaw because they wanted to just replace all the old familiar faces and systems. Adelman's coaching was much similar to what our offense was before hand. So who was the most different at that time than a defensive minded coach, who has a resume that involved taking the cavs to the finals with only one superstar?

Im not sugar coating his resume just so you know, but Im putting myself in LA management's shoes and trying to decipher what they were thinking. His resume doesn't say HOW he got to the finals with one superstar....it just said he did....just sayin

I don't remember Brown wanting to make this team uptempo. But if he did say that, then I'd say he gets an F.

LF???? Really???? Let me help your memory

Brown also gave a nod to the Lakers' past, including the five championships won during Jackson's 11 seasons with the franchise during the 2000s. He would not compare and contrast his coaching style to Jackson's, however.

Further, he said he wouldn't run the triangle offense, a Jackson staple. He stressed the need for a more up-tempo offense, one that would enable the Lakers to score more easy baskets in transition. He also spoke at length about playing sound defense.

http://www.dailynews.com/ci_18179572

You're welcome

An "F" is exactly what I give him as well Nice of you to join me

Mike Brown is a damn good talker.....a sly salesman with nothing real to deliver.

Quotes from Cavs fans from other sites;

allmyteamsareterrible - May 12, 2012 at 7:35 PM
As a Cavs fan I can tell you, Mike Brown is not a good coach. Watch every Cavs playoff series and you will see him out coached every year. I really can not offer any reasonable explanation as to why he was hired by the Lakers.

thestudiokida - May 12, 2012 at 7:48 PM
Mike Brown knows defense. He convinced LeBron that he could become an elite defender and carry the Cavs into contention. But offensively, well… he couldn’t draw up a play to save his career. Look at all the awful shots the Cavs took or tried to take after a timeout. Most coaches get a score after calling time.

allmyteamsareterrible - May 12, 2012 at 7:52 PM
He was out coached repeatedly. This is really inarguable. He can’t manage lineups, he can’t manage rotations, he can’t manage offensive sets…he simply can’t coach. He has parlayed regular season success with LeBron into a coaching career, but when it’s all said and done he will be a coach that had two of the greatest NBA players of all time and couldn’t win a championship with either of them/

Last edited by DKLaker : 05-15-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #25
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:

I imagine the Mavs will try and trade Odom after speaking with his reps. I'm not 100% certain they waive him to get him out of their hair I think they hold on and try and move him in a way that helps the Mavs. I'm actually not 100% certain he's not back in Dallas for a second go round but doubtful.

If he is truly gone Mavs will want to get something in return. If the Mavs and Odom should come to a agreement on buyout somebody will pick him up as a gamble for pennies on the dollar for one season, Odom needs anybody to take a chance on him and won't balk no matter who it is. Clippers will be a serious contender if he hits the wavier pool, lots of openings on the roster, he'd be happy to be back in LA and depending on the buyout can offer him real money

Last edited by BØBØ : 05-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 AM   #26
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I dunno if I want Odom back. He was way too immature this season with the Mavs and lets not forget the immaturity he pulled off last season when he was thrown out along with Bynum. It was getting to the point where Odom and Lakers had to go separate ways. I am not happy how Lakers traded him off so abruptly, but maybe it was time to go separate paths? He will probably also ask for MLE. Let somebody else get him for that price, man. Not worth the MLE and adding more money to the payroll. I dunno if he will sign for veteran's minimum - why would he when somebody out there will offer him more?

Definitely no to DFish. We got rid of Fish for a reason: he was too slow and old. It was time for him to go so I don't want him back in Laker uniform. Outside of leadership and clutch factor, he doesn't bring much else to the table.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #27
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wouldn't it be to the Mavs advantage to try to buy him out? The Mavs were one of the teams that was rumored to make a strong push for Williams. If they could reach a buyout agreement and save a little space it may help out their situation a little bit. His stock has to be at an all time low so I can't see teams wanting to give up much to trade for him. I could see a team under the cap offering a 2nd round pick but it would be highly likely he wouldn't want to play for that potential team.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: