Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #76
Underballer
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 325
Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerOO
I'm the opposite. I jump way higher jumping off one foot

yea, a lot of people I know jump higher off 1 foot, but then again, I don't know anyone that can dunk. anyway, can u dunk ? and what wat do u do for ur vert? I personally only squat and deadlift and I jump around a bit at home and test myself when I go to play pickup
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM   #77
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underballer
anyone here have a very weak 1 leg jump compared to their 2 leg jump? i don't think i can touch the rim off 1 leg, but i can easily grab the rim with 2 hands and i can even grab the rim with 1 hand off of a standstill jump
I've found it can be at least somewhat habitual. I went through a phase where I decided I liked two-foot dunking's style best, so I focused on that and my one-leg leaping suffered. It took some concentrated reps and workouts to get myself comfortable with dunking off one leg again a few years later.

Also, I think some people just have a natural disposition. Consider Jason Richardson, one of the greatest dunkers of all-time when he's leaping off two feet, but strangely pedestrian when trying to jump off one.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #78
Underballer
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 325
Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Can you dunk??

ah I see. btw, do u also agree that every athlete can jump higher off two if they are taught correctly?
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 11:49 PM   #79
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can you dunk??

When I was in HS, I could dunk a tennis ball; came really close to a volleyball once. I'm 5'8. 5'9 on a good day.

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #80
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underballer
ah I see. btw, do u also agree that every athlete can jump higher off two if they are taught correctly?
I'm not really sure. I don't have enough knowledge in that regard. There's some athletes I have a hard time imagining being higher leapers off two feet than one (James White, for one) but as I said, I don't really know.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:10 PM   #81
Josh
Deity ★ Persona
 
Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: L o ℑ
Posts: 579
Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Pathetic and unbelievable someone would neg me because I said I could at one time dunk a tennis ball.



Wow, e-ga'z is that mad, that i-LL that someone else got hop'is'z and they don't. I can probably barely even get the rim these days. I wonder how pissed off dude (whoever negged me) would be if I could actually dunk an actual basketball? Probably slit my throat if they had the opportunity. Being able to dunk and someone else can't ... man, that's entering some mega i-LL hate territory. Next time someone asks you if you can dunk - just say NO. You tell 'em no no matter what; you hear me? Protect ya neck, like the Wu. Don't go chasin' waterfalls and lettin' some ability to jam a tennis ball end up with you on the receiving end of someone's knife.

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #82
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,926
Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm not really sure. I don't have enough knowledge in that regard. There's some athletes I have a hard time imagining being higher leapers off two feet than one (James White, for one) but as I said, I don't really know.

in HS i used to fly off one foot and could barely jump off two, but since i started lifting it has reversed completely. might have to do with a person's muscle/skeletal structure and their maximum athletic abilities. I guess that might mean for me when im closer to my peak abilities and strength my two foot vert is better. But from what I've seen I have yet to meet someone who started lifting and their one foot vert skyrocketed and their two foot vert plummeted.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #83
jamal99
Valar Morghulis
 
jamal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Serbia
Posts: 4,810
jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I've found it can be at least somewhat habitual. I went through a phase where I decided I liked two-foot dunking's style best, so I focused on that and my one-leg leaping suffered. It took some concentrated reps and workouts to get myself comfortable with dunking off one leg again a few years later.

Also, I think some people just have a natural disposition. Consider Jason Richardson, one of the greatest dunkers of all-time when he's leaping off two feet, but strangely pedestrian when trying to jump off one.
I like 2-foot style better too, but right-left combination like VC contrary to Richardson left-right, that's for right handed players/dunks of course.
Kinda ironic that I'm a 1-footed jumper who can only jump with left-right combination off 2 feet
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:41 AM   #84
Underballer
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 325
Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
Pathetic and unbelievable someone would neg me because I said I could at one time dunk a tennis ball.



Wow, e-ga'z is that mad, that i-LL that someone else got hop'is'z and they don't. I can probably barely even get the rim these days. I wonder how pissed off dude (whoever negged me) would be if I could actually dunk an actual basketball? Probably slit my throat if they had the opportunity. Being able to dunk and someone else can't ... man, that's entering some mega i-LL hate territory. Next time someone asks you if you can dunk - just say NO. You tell 'em no no matter what; you hear me? Protect ya neck, like the Wu. Don't go chasin' waterfalls and lettin' some ability to jam a tennis ball end up with you on the receiving end of someone's knife.


no need to get mad lol. i doubt they negged u cuz u could dunk, probably saw u only had 1 green bar and would be funny putting a 2007 into red lol. same thing happened to me
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #85
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal99
I like 2-foot style better too, but right-left combination like VC contrary to Richardson left-right, that's for right handed players/dunks of course.
Kinda ironic that I'm a 1-footed jumper who can only jump with left-right combination off 2 feet
I went through my primary two feet phase in high school and it sucked. It was cool to pull off in practice and in layup lines, but as a left-right two foot leaper standing at 6'3'', I mostly squandered my in-game dunking opportunities. Trying to set my feet on high speed breakaways was a mess and it often allowed defenders to catch up and make a play or commit a foul (if I didn't slip on the court trying too hard to set my feet at full speed).

In contrast, switching back over to being a one foot primary dunker after high school was a life changer. For a guy my size, it's tough to beat the ability to blaze into the open floor and elevate at high speed without breaking stride. My in-game dunks absolutely sky-rocketed when I made the change. I still like dunking off two feet in practice, but the only time I really pull that off in-game is if I've somehow found myself dangerously alone in the front court, usually off of a really bad turnover, thus allowing me to mosey in and finish however I want. I'd say the in-game one-foot:two foot dunk ratio for me at this point is 35:1

Edit: Maybe the ratio is a little smaller than that. I forgot any tip dunks or oops I throw down (quite rarely) still tend to come off of two-foot plants.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 01-09-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #86
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman
 
Burgz V2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,926
Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I went through my primary two feet phase in high school and it sucked. It was cool to pull off in practice and in layup lines, but as a left-right two foot leaper standing at 6'3'', I mostly squandered my in-game dunking opportunities. Trying to set my feet on high speed breakaways was a mess and it often allowed defenders to catch up and make a play or commit a foul (if I didn't slip on the court trying too hard to set my feet at full speed).

In contrast, switching back over to being a one foot primary dunker after high school was a life changer. For a guy my size, it's tough to beat the ability to blaze into the open floor and elevate at high speed without breaking stride. My in-game dunks absolutely sky-rocketed when I made the change. I still like dunking off two feet in practice, but the only time I really pull that off in-game is if I've somehow found myself dangerously alone in the front court, usually off of a really bad turnover, thus allowing me to mosey in and finish however I want. I'd say the in-game one-foot:two foot dunk ratio for me at this point is 35:1

Edit: Maybe the ratio is a little smaller than that. I forgot any tip dunks or oops I throw down (quite rarely) still tend to come off of two-foot plants.

yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #87
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12,103
Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.
Yeah, no one ever taught me that. I started off as a one-foot dunker then once I developed the ability to dunk off two feet, I liked the feeling of being able to hang on the rim with two hands more easily. So I did that so much that I kind of lost the ability to dunk off one foot my junior and senior years. I hadn't quite put the "left foot-right foot vs. right foot-left foot" puzzle together at that point. I just figured two foot dunking was two foot dunking.

I will say, since high school, I've always preferred one foot, one hand when a defender was trailing. I tend to reserve the one foot two-handers for when I know I'll be able to elevate and finish without being disrupted. Having two hands up there seems to make my body a lot more vulnerable to contact and tough falls, especially when jumping off one foot. The one hand finish gives me more stability and a higher peak point.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 AM   #88
D.J.
College superstar
 
D.J.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 4,962
D.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputationD.J. has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Can you dunk??

I'm 6'8". Be pretty pathetic if I couldn't.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:33 AM   #89
jamal99
Valar Morghulis
 
jamal99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Serbia
Posts: 4,810
jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Can you dunk??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
yea you'll never pull off a left-right two foot dunk on a break with someone chasing you. The extra step is all it takes to either get blocked or put yourself in serious danger. I was always taught if someone is trailing you always jump off one foot and always dunk with two hands.
My left-right 2 footed jump is much quicker than right-left, but still very slow I guess lol.
If someone is trailing, all you need to do is to dunk it quick. I got my shit blocked one time when I crossed a guy and went for a one-handed dunk off 1 foot totally casual, like I was alone in the practice. Guy just tipped it out of my hand...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:26 AM   #90
Underballer
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 325
Underballer is starting to rub some people the wrong wayUnderballer is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Can you dunk??

i will definitely try to transition to 1 foot now, but will still keep my 2 foot gather, since it is important for blocks, rebounds, and you can get up really high if you're in the clear
Underballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:04 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy