Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

Default Bargnani benched

Quote:
It was as if Dwane had just had enough.

About five minutes into the third quarter quarter, Andrea Bargnani absolutely forgets to box out – or even pay attention to – Jan Vesely, who follows a miss with an easy dunk to pull the Wizards within two.

The ball had barely been inbounded before Dwane’s got Ed Davis up to take Bargnani out and when Bargnani leaves the game, he’s stopped for a little chat with a rather chuffed head coach.

There were probably have a dozen occasions of that kind of lax Bargnani defence in the game and the Vesely dunk was like the last straw.

And true to his word, Casey hooked Bargnani far earlier than normal, left him on the bench for the final seven minutes of the third quarter and first three minutes of the fourth as some kind of harsh lesson in what is acceptable defensive behaviour.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:42 PM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Bargnani benched

I saw it happen twice lately. Coach Casey is playing with fire. If he keeps this up, he will be having a meeting with Colangelo to remind him of what the priorities of the Raptors franchise are.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
brwnman

I like it. I felt like he should've benched him for the game, so tank nation can stay strong...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #4
bokes15
Playoffs!

I knew that a tough, hard nosed, defensive coach would not be too fond of a player like Bargs. I like his "I don't give a f*ck" attitude about coaching in terms of he doesn't make the easy moves to appease his bosses. I really think if he sticks around long enough he's gonna love Val.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #5
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I knew that a tough, hard nosed, defensive coach would not be too fond of a player like Bargs. I like his "I don't give a f*ck" attitude about coaching in terms of he doesn't make the easy moves to appease his bosses. I really think if he sticks around long enough he's gonna love Val.

Are you serious? Cassey has come out several times to say that he likes Bargnani, his game and his defensive approach. I would hope that as a regular poster here you would at least read a little of whats going on with this team.

Bargnani was not playing well and the coach benched him. That's all. That's what a coach should do with any players that is not playing the team game, and that's what a player should expect.

So many stupid posts here by irrelevant people who pretend to be knowlegeable about anything Raptor related, but are really just haters and use this blog to vent their dissatifaction in life.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

I would like to see the quotes about Casey saying he likes his defensive approach. I want links, and dates of when it was said. Then I will give you a proper response.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Are you serious? Cassey has come out several times to say that he likes Bargnani, his game and his defensive approach. I would hope that as a regular poster here you would at least read a little of whats going on with this team.

Bargnani was not playing well and the coach benched him. That's all. That's what a coach should do with any players that is not playing the team game, and that's what a player should expect.

So many stupid posts here by irrelevant people who pretend to be knowlegeable about anything Raptor related, but are really just haters and use this blog to vent their dissatifaction in life.

i think you are confusing dissatisfaction in life with dissatisfaction with the team.

that is a right we have earned as very patient raptor fans.
the fact that we care at all after the last 10 years of following this team, it is a right well deserved.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
'The ball had barely been inbounded before Dwane’s got Ed Davis up to take Bargnani out and when Bargnani leaves the game, he’s stopped for a little chat with a rather chuffed head coach.'

I don't think this word means what Doug Smith thinks it means.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
I would like to see the quotes about Casey saying he likes his defensive approach. I want links, and dates of when it was said. Then I will give you a proper response.

"“I found out defensively we have better talent than I thought,” Casey said. “Andrea’s done an excellent job defensively, impacting pick-and-rolls, playing the post, doing the things we need him to do defensively to make an impact on the game, so that’s been a huge surprise – how talented he is, not only on the offensive end, but on the defensive end.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...bargnani-and-d
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
"“I found out defensively we have better talent than I thought,” Casey said. “Andrea’s done an excellent job defensively, impacting pick-and-rolls, playing the post, doing the things we need him to do defensively to make an impact on the game, so that’s been a huge surprise – how talented he is, not only on the offensive end, but on the defensive end.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...bargnani-and-d
Two things about this quote. First being, i'm surprised at you for leaving half of the quote out which I think is a fairly significant addition.

Quote:
“In Dallas, we could say, ‘Hey Tyson [Chandler], deliver this message,’ and he’s a great communicator defensively. He’s talking, he’s telling guys where to go. He helped us as coaches hold guys accountable, where to go, what to do defensively. He was the shining star, the anchor,” Casey said. “With us, we don’t have Tyson Chandler, we’ve got our guys… Andrea [Bargnani] is beginning to be that anchor for us, talking, communicating. We want more of that from him but we don’t have that guy right now, so we’ve got to do it more in a team conceptual way more so than relying on an individual to deliver that message.”

Second being that I was 100% certain that if he had said that it would be very early on in the season, and sure enough it was. That article is from January 11th, which was all of 11 games into our season. If you asked him that question now, i'm sure the answer wouldn't be so positive.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
i think you are confusing dissatisfaction in life with dissatisfaction with the team.

that is a right we have earned as very patient raptor fans.
the fact that we care at all after the last 10 years of following this team, it is a right well deserved.
yeah. ironically of all the posters on the raps forum, i'd say the only one that has shown evidence of being dissatisfied with their life is the guy that made that post in the first place. basketball does not = life, basketball = a sport. fans have a right to be dissatisfied with a perennial losing team that is not doing the right things to improve. I honestly don't know where this guy is coming from, and I never see it as productive to waste time responding to him.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:42 AM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I think I've finally come to the perfect Bargnani comparison for anyone that needs a bit of perspective on what he has been and what he likely will be. From the initial Okur and Rik Smits comparisons (we only wish) to the 7 foot Jamal Crawford, I've finally pinned it down.

Al Harrington.

Look over Harrington's career and you'll see they are practically identical. Perimeter-based big men who can become dangerous every now and then when their jump shot is on with some ability to get to the free throw line. With all that you get very poor rebounding and no impact whatsoever in terms of team defense.

The Raptors right now are building around Al Harrington. Let that sink in.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
Beebo
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think I've finally come to the perfect Bargnani comparison for anyone that needs a bit of perspective on what he has been and what he likely will be. From the initial Okur and Rik Smits comparisons (we only wish) to the 7 foot Jamal Crawford, I've finally pinned it down.

Al Harrington.

Look over Harrington's career and you'll see they are practically identical. Perimeter-based big men who can become dangerous every now and then when their jump shot is on with some ability to get to the free throw line. With all that you get very poor rebounding and no impact whatsoever in terms of team defense.

The Raptors right now are building around Al Harrington. Let that sink in.

"That's a 7-footer out there!!"
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM   #14
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Two things about this quote. First being, i'm surprised at you for leaving half of the quote out which I think is a fairly significant addition.

Second being that I was 100% certain that if he had said that it would be very early on in the season, and sure enough it was. That article is from January 11th, which was all of 11 games into our season. If you asked him that question now, i'm sure the answer wouldn't be so positive.

1) I should have added that the views of the quote do not represent my views. I do recall early in the season some pretty glowing reviews of Bargnani's abilities as a defender.

2) That Casey states the Bargnani needed to continue to build on things does not cancel out the fact he did think (at the time) Bargnani was doing those things well.

3) Based on early reviews it's become clear that as the season has worn on that Bargnani has become increasingly disinterested in playing defense. To me, this says that Bargnani is entirely capable of playing defense - he just doesn't simply doesn't want to. In my mind, that's a much larger sin than being physically or mentally incapable of doing it. 'Saving yourself" for the other end of the floor doesn't cut it.

People will point to his injury as a marking post to when his D started to decline back to pre-2011-12 levels, and use it as an excuse for "giving him one more chance". Being unable to fight through injury to play a modicum of defense (if that's even the case) is the sign of a guy you certainly don't want to build your team around, and probably don't want around at all.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
“I do things that are more complicated than rebounds and defence”.
Andrea Bargnani
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: