Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-03-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Default ESPN's early preseason top 25

Quote:
1. Indiana
2. Louisville
3. Kansas
4. Kentucky
5. Ohio State
6. NC State
7. Michigan State
8. Michigan
9. Florida
10. Baylor
11. North Carolina
12. Arizona
13. Memphis
14. Syracuse
15. Duke
16. Texas
17. Notre Dame
18. Creighton
19. Gonzaga
20. Kansas State
21. Wisconsin
22. VCU
23. San Diego State
24. Tennessee
25. Missouri

Honorable mentions: Cincinnati, UNLV, Pittsburgh, Alabama, UCLA, Florida State, Stanford, Saint Louis, Marquette, Maryland, New Mexico, Butler, Saint Mary's, Xavier, Nevada.

Source: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...moving-2012-13

What do you think? Apparently it is based on predictions on which players will leave their teams, although we never know until we find out. To me it seems that UNC is a bit way too high at 11, they should not be preseason top 25 at all having lost Zeller, Henson, Barnes and Marshall(perhaps McAdoo too if he pulls a Marvin Williams on coach Roy). Kentucky is quite an uncertainty here, Coach Cal can easily make it no.1 preseason team by adding Nerlens Noel and/or Shabazz Muhammad, or they may not end up in top 5.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: ESPN's early preseason top 25

Why people do this every year before the deadline dates to declare for the draft is beyond me.

Anyway, for once, I agree with you about UNC. Not necessarily about them being not top 25 but being that high. If McAdoo comes back then I think they're a top 15-20 team by the end of the season. If he leaves then they shouldn't be a preseason top 25 team.

Now, while the situation is still very fluid, it appears the pendulum has swung back in UNC's favor in the McAdoo decisions. He went home to visit with his family over the weekend and apparently everyone close to him is advising him to come back. While he could change his mind tonight or tomorrow and announce he's leaving, as of right now he's probably coming back to UNC.

On top of that, UNC has made it on Alex Oriakhi's final five list. Some UNC "insiders" feel like he's coming to UNC but I'm not buying it right now. I do like our chances though because of his final five and an SEC transfer rule. Along with UNC, he has Duke, Xavier, Missouri, and Kentucky on his list. The SEC has a transfer rule that a player transferring into the SEC must have more than one year of eligibility remaining, which Oriakhi does not. There is an outside chance Kentucky or Missouri could be granted a waiver by the conference if he really wants to go to either one of those schools. Not sure how Duke made it into his top five because Oriakhi's dad or Oriakhi himself said Duke wouldn't be in consideration.

Basically I said all of that to say this. If McAdoo comes back and UNC gets Oriakhi then the frontcourt would be pretty salty. Despite losing Marshall, they still return everyone else from the backcourt and get Leslie McDonald back from injury. The guard/wing rotation will consist of SR Strickland, JR McDonald, JR Bullock, SO Hairston, FR Marcus Paige, FR J.P. Tokoto. That would have the potential to be one of the deeper and more talented guard/wing groups in the country.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #3
Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Why people do this every year before the deadline dates to declare for the draft is beyond me.

Anyway, for once, I agree with you about UNC. Not necessarily about them being not top 25 but being that high. If McAdoo comes back then I think they're a top 15-20 team by the end of the season. If he leaves then they shouldn't be a preseason top 25 team.

Now, while the situation is still very fluid, it appears the pendulum has swung back in UNC's favor in the McAdoo decisions. He went home to visit with his family over the weekend and apparently everyone close to him is advising him to come back. While he could change his mind tonight or tomorrow and announce he's leaving, as of right now he's probably coming back to UNC.

On top of that, UNC has made it on Alex Oriakhi's final five list. Some UNC "insiders" feel like he's coming to UNC but I'm not buying it right now. I do like our chances though because of his final five and an SEC transfer rule. Along with UNC, he has Duke, Xavier, Missouri, and Kentucky on his list. The SEC has a transfer rule that a player transferring into the SEC must have more than one year of eligibility remaining, which Oriakhi does not. There is an outside chance Kentucky or Missouri could be granted a waiver by the conference if he really wants to go to either one of those schools. Not sure how Duke made it into his top five because Oriakhi's dad or Oriakhi himself said Duke wouldn't be in consideration.

Basically I said all of that to say this. If McAdoo comes back and UNC gets Oriakhi then the frontcourt would be pretty salty. Despite losing Marshall, they still return everyone else from the backcourt and get Leslie McDonald back from injury. The guard/wing rotation will consist of SR Strickland, JR McDonald, JR Bullock, SO Hairston, FR Marcus Paige, FR J.P. Tokoto. That would have the potential to be one of the deeper and more talented guard/wing groups in the country.

I agree, it's pretty pointless. Oriakhi's considering UNC? He'd be a great get for them. Leslie McDonald was supposed to be UNCs best shooter before he got injured right? That rotation of wings is scary - all guys with NBA size and skills. Don't know anything about Tokoto, but I've seen Paige and he'll be an impact player right away. If McAdoo comes back, they're definitely a preseason top 10.

I guess that #1 ranking for IU is assuming Zeller comes back. I'm pretty surprised he's turning down a possible top 5 selection this year but good for him. He'll have a chance to go #1 overall if he has a huge season. Zeller, Oladipo, Watford and Yogi Ferrell is a really, really tough core.

NC State is going to be really good, Kentucky as usual, and Louisville returns a lot of their core.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

31 weeks from the 12/13 season. Who cares.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

umm UNC is indeed in somewhat of a tough situation now. The team is worse than 2010's talent-wise which went to NIT, but they suffered lots of injuries in that season. The team looks like it can easily end up in NIT again or even CBI if same magnitude of injury storm strikes as it did in 2010 and this year.

Indiana is looking good this year, definitely something to be excited about even though I am not a fan of theirs. I mean, after all it used to be such a powerhouse. Kentucky already returned to their past glory, now it is IU and UCLA's turn though the latter may have to spend a few more years exploring the 'truth'.

Louisville and Florida both seem quite nice too, coached by two top 10 coaches in the league. Should be interesting if they meet up again in tournament, perhaps this time in final four. Pitino always has an edge over his student, to me it seems that such trend will continue unless Billy Donovan has a much more talented team like 2007's Gators.

Also Duke's future is somewhat uncertain too, having lost Austin Rivers they need some kind of replacement good enough to compete. Syracuse and Ohio State may have the same problem, but I still expect a decent season for both of them. Missouri, umm, they choked in the best year they've ever had, and perhaps the best year they will ever have. Chances are they become mediocre like Iowa State did after losing to Hampton.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #6
TheSilentKiller
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
31 weeks from the 12/13 season. Who cares.

This. The tournament just ended, can't we focus on this season for more than two days?
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #7
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder
I agree, it's pretty pointless. Oriakhi's considering UNC? He'd be a great get for them. Leslie McDonald was supposed to be UNCs best shooter before he got injured right? That rotation of wings is scary - all guys with NBA size and skills. Don't know anything about Tokoto, but I've seen Paige and he'll be an impact player right away. If McAdoo comes back, they're definitely a preseason top 10.

I guess that #1 ranking for IU is assuming Zeller comes back. I'm pretty surprised he's turning down a possible top 5 selection this year but good for him. He'll have a chance to go #1 overall if he has a huge season. Zeller, Oladipo, Watford and Yogi Ferrell is a really, really tough core.

NC State is going to be really good, Kentucky as usual, and Louisville returns a lot of their core.

Yeah, there's an 8 or 9 page thread on UNC's premium message board about Oriakhi. I don't have a subscription so I can't read it ut a friend of mine does and he said there's some "insiders" who feel he's going to come to UNC. As for McDonald, three-point shooting percentage wise he was the best returning shooter from last year. He really started playing well and shooting well at the end of last season when UNC made the surprise Elite Eight run. It'll be interesting to see if Roy starts Strickland at PG (I think he will) and go with McDonald at SG and Bullock at SF; and then bring Paige, Hairston, and Tokoto off the bench.

And this is Tokoto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8spwhzMk6fQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBGsY...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPAexQ-bK74

6'6" wing who is widely considered the best athlete/dunker in the 2012 class. His offensive game is a little raw, though, so I expect his impact to be minimal next season.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Dw1ll
I hit open layups

Indiana is gonna be so deep and talented. Louisville may have the best starting 5 in the country in Siva, R. Smith, Blackshear, Behanan, Dieng. UK will be good and I think Michigan St. is gonna be great with Dawson as an emerging star.
Dw1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #9
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
umm UNC is indeed in somewhat of a tough situation now. The team is worse than 2010's talent-wise which went to NIT, but they suffered lots of injuries in that season.

No, they aren't. In 2009-2010 the two best returning players were Deon Thompson and Ed Davis. Ed Davis only played about 20 games due to injury, so UNC essentially only had him half the season, and he barely played during conference play. Same thing with Zeller who missed about 10-12 games during ACC play. After that, UNC had sophomore Larry Drew (who sucked), junior Will Graves (nothing more than a three-point shooter), senior Marcus Ginyard (missed games due to injury and not an offensive threat), and freshmen Henson, Strickland, McDonald, and the Wear twins.

Now, you might notice I named 11 players, which might point towards being deep, but they weren't. One of the Wears missed most of the year with an injury and the other one was a freshman who wasn't that good. Strickland was very raw and nothing more than an athlete, and a freshman. McDonald was even worse than Strickland and, oh yeah, a freshman. And Henson spent the first 10-12 games of the season playing SF in a miserably failed experiment. And even when he was moved to PF he showed how raw he was offensively. I will always love Deon Thompson but he shouldn't be your best player if you want to contend in the ACC and even be on the bubble for the NCAA tournament. He went from being the 5th option in 2009 to the 1st option in 2010, not good.

Next year, even if UNC doesn't get McAdoo back they'll be a little more talented than they were in 2009-2010, simply because of the experience, talent, and depth on the wings. You'd have a senior Strickland, juniors Bullock and McDonald, and sophomore Hairston. Basically, I said all that to say no, UNC didn't have more talent in 2009-2010 than they will next year, especially if McAdoo comes back. If that does happen I still don't think UNC should be a preseason top 15 team.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

This is one of those lists that just drives internet traffic but has no substance.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Trey Burke reportedly is entering the NBA Draft.

I'd drop Michigan out of the Top 10, and maybe even Top 20.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #12
ukfan22
High school junior varsity star

I'm still somewhat unimpressed with Louisville.

I mean, I keep hearing people say "they don't lose anyone", except they lose two starters, and their run at the end of the season was pretty flukey. Siva is HIGHLY overrated, and is non-existent against anyone with a decent amount of size. Russ Smith runs hot and cold. They are counting on Blackshear to develop into a first option type pretty quickly, and even then I think they will still struggle to score. Dieng and Behanan is a very good frontline, though, I will admit. But they won't really have anything off the bench. Top 10 for sure, but top 3 is pushing it.

Then again, I'm a little biased.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

God you guys get bent out of shape. It's just for fun, the article even states this.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #14
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Heard McAdoo is coming back to UNC, and now the Tar Heels look more like an NIT team with somewhat of a hope to enter NCAA tournament. Do not think they will end up in CBI like they are supposed to be if McAdoo is gone unless major injuries occur.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #15
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Heard McAdoo is coming back to UNC, and now the Tar Heels look more like an NIT team with somewhat of a hope to enter NCAA tournament. Do not think they will end up in CBI like they are supposed to be if McAdoo is gone unless major injuries occur.

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: