Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Going left or right?

Hey guys,

So I am pretty comfortable going left or right now specifically on drive, but now it actually makes it more confusing for me especially on Iso situations. So my question is how do you decide which way to go? Do you

1. Look at the guy's feet? People say attack the leading foot. Its pretty hard to keep watching their feet in game tho.

2. Watch whether there's help defense, say there's help D on the left then go right.

3. Look at their body positioning if they are mostly on the right, drive by left.

Thoughts? Thanks
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #2
C_lake2802
I airball my layups

C_lake2802 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Going left or right?

In a 1v1 it Depends on how the D is playing you. and how good your footwork/ballhandling are U don't to take the side the defense gives you. EX. Player A is guarding you to your left side. U want to maybe fake left hen go right in a triple threat position because they are going to have to shift their feet back to face you giving you the advantage. Same goes for right.

But if there playing you straight up u really have both choices. Remember the defense doesn't know what your going to do. so u have all control. If u drive left and you see there keeping up with you. You gonna have to make a quick change of direction to get space for the drive.

In a 5v5 i like to read the center, whether its a a legit big man or not. U drive hes going to step up if u get past your man, here u can give a nice hesitation in the lane, and if your good on either side then use whatever side he gives. or u can pass it off to an open player.There's So many options man lol

So really u just have to make quick decisions and the amount of space you can get to get around the player for the drive

Hope this helped a little

Last edited by C_lake2802 : 04-05-2012 at 01:22 AM.
C_lake2802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
SunsCaptain
Local High School Star

SunsCaptain has decent reputationSunsCaptain has decent reputation

1v1 is for fun and which always an ISO....lol

Anyways playing with a team a pick n roll is always better than ISO.

A pick N roll is almost the same thing but you can switch to a defender this is slower than you because ur big is setting the pick. Which means almost any direction you go you have him burned.

Next is if your big that set the screen has his defender try to come out and block your path for a second...If your big man rolls and gets the distance just send him the pass and those are some easy points.

If the player defending you trys to run under the screen....Just pop the 3 ball.

What I like to do is when my teammate sets the screen is to fake the way screen is comming and then crossover the other way giving me a very easy shot with 0 defense.

Pick N roll is the sex.

SunsCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #4
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Hey guys,

So I am pretty comfortable going left or right now specifically on drive, but now it actually makes it more confusing for me especially on Iso situations. So my question is how do you decide which way to go? Do you

1. Look at the guy's feet? People say attack the leading foot. Its pretty hard to keep watching their feet in game tho.

2. Watch whether there's help defense, say there's help D on the left then go right.

3. Look at their body positioning if they are mostly on the right, drive by left.

Thoughts? Thanks
This is a good set of questions and it's actually made me think a lot about my own game. I feel like it'd be a cop out to call each of my moves reactionary, but that might be the most accurate description.

Typically, I like taking the path of least resistance. Or in other words, I like to keep things as simple as possible. I keep an eye on my defender, but it's not as if I'm focused on his feet alone. A lot of it is about body positioning and having a feel for what type of defender he is as well as how athletic he is and what he thinks about my game.

A lot of times, it's a game of cat and mouse. I'm constantly thinking about what the defender's thinking about me. If they provide a lot of space as I step to the three point line, I'm led to believe they don't know I can shoot. As such, I'll shoot. Make or miss, this will likely create a scenario the following trip down the floor where my defender will have to take into account the fact I may pull-up, which may leave him susceptible to committing to contesting a shot and thus giving up the drive.

Essentially, I think a lot of it is about building up a catalog. Don't be afraid to try moves and see how a defender reacts. It doesn't take much daylight to attack the hole. If you're able to rock your defender even slightly off balance in the wrong direction, the advantage will be yours. It might be best to learn what kind of separation and space you need from a defender in order to attack in an advantageous manner. That way, when that sort of space presents itself in a game, you'll know when to attack.

You know how you can tell when a move isn't working? When you can't get past your defender. Be aggressive, but maintain control. Make a move, explore your path and options and operate with a countermove (or pass or shot) if your path is cut off.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:52 AM   #5
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation

Just an update, from past few games my opponents seem to block me going to the right and positioned their body specifically for me to go left. I took what they were giving me drove past left and made buckets/layups.

Thanks for the advice, but taking from all your suggestions I think I am gonna need to learn to be quick in changing directions when defender reads where I am going.
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 AM   #6
SunsCaptain
Local High School Star

SunsCaptain has decent reputationSunsCaptain has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyap9675
Just an update, from past few games my opponents seem to block me going to the right and positioned their body specifically for me to go left. I took what they were giving me drove past left and made buckets/layups.

Thanks for the advice, but taking from all your suggestions I think I am gonna need to learn to be quick in changing directions when defender reads where I am going.

When they want you to go left and angle their body like that there are a few things ou can do.

1. You can post them up and get physical with them and if they are still leaving the left open you can easily spin to that side for the lay-up. If they close off that side as they are making that adjustment you can spin to the right side for the lay-up. Initially the first post up bump and spin to the side they left unguarded will always be easy points.

2. This 1 is my favorite. Dribble the ball with the right hand as you dribble at him cross over to the left and this will usually freeze the defender because you are now going where he wants you to go then immidiently cross back right and his footwork will be all out of place. I love when defenders are angled because the cross over will eat them alive.
SunsCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:41 AM   #7
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

I always try to go to the middle. Easier for a defender to help but also much easier to pass to an open teammate. Not to mention I always can bail myself out with a floater down the lane.

Baseline is just so risky when you are playing pick up. Your teammates won't know when to cut to the middle or corner for you, so you will get trapped more easily with bad passing angles.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: