Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 05-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board
Default One of the best offseason moves...

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have signed Eric LeGrand to an undrafted free agent contract. If you don't know who Eric LeGrand is, he's the Rutgers football player who was paralyzed on a special teams play two years ago.

Very, very classy move by Coach Greg Schiano and the Bucs.

http://www.buccaneers.com/news/artic...1-45037fea47bf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4y1pKOXEJg

Quote:
TAMPA, Fla. -- Eric LeGrand just finished one of the more unique conference calls in the history of conference calls for undrafted free agents.

That’s largely because LeGrand is one of the most unique rookies to ever get an NFL contract. He didn’t get any money and he won’t play for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but he signed a contract with them Wednesday morning and spoke with the media a few minutes after the news was announced.

LeGrand played defensive tackle for Rutgers before he suffered a spinal cord injury in 2010. Although he initially was told he would be paralyzed and would have to stay on a ventilator, LeGrand was breathing on his own five weeks after the injury. Since then, he has regained some movement. He continues to insist that he will walk again.

“I’m going to keep fighting,’’ LeGrand said. “I don’t know when it’s going to happen, but I know it is going to happen.’’

LeGrand currently is living with his mother in an apartment in Woodbridge, N.J., as they wait for a new house to be built that is handicapped accessible. LeGrand said that house will be ready by Christmas. He continues to take classes at Rutgers and is closing in on his degree. LeGrand said he wants to pursue a career in sports broadcasting and already has met with an official from ESPN and could have some other opportunities. Physically, LeGrand goes to therapy three times a week and continues to make progress. He is able to stand with the help of a metal frame and now can sit up on his own for about 15 minutes at a time.

“I wasn’t supposed to do any of this,’’ LeGrand said. “This is exciting for me.’’

The signing with Tampa Bay is the continuation of a close bond LeGrand formed with Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano when the two were at Rutgers. Since leaving Rutgers in January, Schiano has called LeGrand about once a week.

“Coach Schiano is like a father figure,’’ LeGrand said. “Going into Rutgers as a little boy and now I’m coming out a man. In life you can’t control what cards you’re dealt. He helped me with all that.’’

Last edited by MK2V1GP : 05-02-2012 at 11:06 AM.
MK2V1GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Mex-Laker
I hit open 5-footers

Mex-Laker has no real reputation yet.
Default Re: One of the best offseason moves...

Class Act from a classy organization...

GO BUCS !!!
Mex-Laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Maybe I'm a dick, but I don't really get it. Cool, you let him sign a piece of paper.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #4
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
Maybe I'm a dick, but I don't really get it. Cool, you let him sign a piece of paper.

Yeah I'm with you. Its a cool move but I'm not going to go any further than saying that.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

MK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this boardMK2V1GP is popular on this board

Ya'll are both dicks. The guy was paralyzed playing football in college. They said he'd be a paraplegic, but 5 weeks later, he was breathing on his own and off the system. They said he'd never be able to stand or walk, and he can stand. And he's determined to be able to walk again. He's an incredible young man. I've done a lot of reading up on him today. Follow him on Twitter.

How can you look at this as something like "so what? he signed a piece of paper." That's moronic.

His dream was to be a NFL player. And he signed a contract and is now part of a NFL franchise. Sure, he'll never play. But it's a classy move by the Bucs and Coach Schiano.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I didnt realize Schiano was his coach at Rutgers. Makes sense.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

It doesn't mean anything really football-wise for the Bucs really. It's just a feel-good heartwarming type of story that you don't see very often. They even assigned him to a number, #52, the number he wore at Rutgers.

Quote:
"I'm thankful that I was -- check that: I am -- an athlete. I was squatting 605 pounds at the time of my injury. There's no question that the muscle has helped in rehab. But even more important is the athlete's mentality. At Rutgers, Coach Schiano has a saying: one-eleventh. You're one of 11 guys, each with his own responsibility and skills. So focus on your job. That's what I'm doing now: focusing on my responsibility. Rehab is like my football training camp. This is my new life and I've adjusted. But I'm working my hardest to get out of it and get to the "regular season."

"I believe I will walk again. I do. When that happens, I already know what I'm going to do. I'll go to Giants Stadium and find the exact spot in the field where I went down. I'll lie there for a second. And then I'll get up on my own power and walk away."
Old 05-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Yeah you're right it is a feel good story, I really cant knock it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Makes this Scarlet Knight even prouder.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski

No "maybe" about it.

Gave him a chance to sign with the rest of his draft class and to be a part of an NFL franchise, a lifelong dream taken away in a single moment that forever changed every moment of the rest of his life.

It's become a sad world when people can't see the simple value in doing something good and positive for another human being.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
No "maybe" about it.

Gave him a chance to sign with the rest of his draft class and to be a part of an NFL franchise, a lifelong dream taken away in a single moment that forever changed every moment of the rest of his life.

It's become a sad world when people can't see the simple value in doing something good and positive for another human being.

My dream was to make it to the NFL, does that mean the Bucs can sign me as well?
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #12
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
My dream was to make it to the NFL, does that mean the Bucs can sign me as well?

Did you become paralyzed on the field of play?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #13
MK2V1GP
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
No "maybe" about it.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #14
Clyde
Local High School Star

Clyde is considered somewhat coolClyde is considered somewhat coolClyde is considered somewhat cool

horrible move.
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:19 PM   #15
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer

Did the opportunity pass you by because you got paralyzed on the field of play, or do you just lack the requisite skills and work ethic?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: