Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 05-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Who should be our new coach?

Should we go after a former head coach or should we get an up and coming assistant? My thoughts on some of the names floating around:

1. Stephen Silas: Word is he's gonna get an interview, but no. No. As much as I like and respect Paul Silas and the work he and his son put in, after a season like we just had we need a complete regime change.

2. Nate McMillin: Solid experience and he's from NC. My main concern with Nate is that I feel he's underperformed with the talent he's had to work with.

3. Mike D'antoni: Would be fun to have an up-tempo team, but we need someone who will teach defense to these young guys. Plus it's hard to out-score your opponent when you don't have any scorers.

4. Patrick Ewing: Friend of Mike. No.

5. Stan VanGundy: Proven record. Might just be the best fit.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Who should be our new coach?

No Stephen Silas.

Nate McMillan, if he interviews and ultimately doesn't get the job, people will say its because he went to State and that makes Jordan a semi-traitor (even though he drafted Henderson, people won't care).

D'Antoni would be a great fit if you want to have a stellar first year, then lose the locker room and be back to the worst team in the league in 3 years.

Patrick Ewing, if there's a general consensus around the league that he'd be a good coach, then I'm all for it. But right now, I'm not hearing anything.

Stanvan...might be genius if he comes here. At least we'd be entertained.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1073124

Yes! Oh please yes! Puhleeze!
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:00 AM   #4
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...#disqus_thread

Quote:
Michael Malone, assistant coach with the Golden State Warriors, will interview Tuesday for the Charlotte Bobcats’ coaching vacancy. Yahoo! Sports first reported the story and a source confirmed it to the Observer.

“We don’t think it’s fair to comment on candidates or respond to rumors,” Charlotte president of basketball operations Rod Higgins said late Monday afternoon.

If the NBA were the NFL, Malone would be the must-have defensive coordinator linked with every head-coaching opening. Last season as the lead assistant in New Orleans, his defense was the league’s most improved.

This season he was the coach who diagrammed plays on the dry-erase board for Golden State first-year coach Mark Jackson. Malone has coached 10 seasons as an NBA assistant and is the son of long-time NBA coach Brendan Malone.

The Warriors were not surprised by Charlotte’s interest and will not be surprised when other suitors court him.

“When we first interviewed Michael Malone we knew he was a hot commodity,” Golden State general manager Bob Myers told the San Jose (Calif.) Mercury News.

The question might not be whether the Bobcats offer him the job, but whether he accepts it. Malone reportedly makes $750,000 a season and is the league’s highest-paid assistant.

I hope Malone is serious about the Bobcats, and I hope the Bobcats are serious about Malone.

The safe route always is to hire a former head coach. Fans love coaches with whom they’re familiar, especially if the coach is a celebrity. When the Panthers elected not to renew the contract of coach John Fox after the 2010 season, fans clamored for former Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher and former Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden. Each had some success, and each was famous.

I like the idea of identifying the next great coach and going after him. The move is gutsier and less expensive, although the latter might not apply to Malone.

Although Malone shares a first name with Bobcats owner Michael Jordan, they apparently don’t share a relationship. Whether Jordan is close to his team’s next coach is not terribly important.

What is important is that the new coach is a teacher and a leader, is confident enough to be patient and really wants this job.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

I'd be down with Jerry Sloan...but I get the feeling we'll do another Sam Vincent-type hire.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #6
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--bo...ke-malone.html

Quote:
Orlando Magic assistant Patrick Ewing will interview for the Charlotte Bobcats head-coaching job, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
The Bobcats are working to set up a meeting with Ewing once the Magic are finished in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Ewing is a close friend of Charlotte owner Michael Jordan, and several sources believe the Hall of Fame center will turn out to be a serious candidate for the opening. Charlotte will make pitches to Golden State Warriors assistant Mike Malone and former Portland Trail Blazers coach Nate McMillan, but will likely hire its next coach from a pool of candidates like Ewing who have been less in demand for head-coaching jobs.
Ewing has worked eight seasons as an NBA assistant, including the past five on Stan Van Gundy’s staff with the Magic. Detroit Pistons general manager Joe Dumars interviewed Ewing for his franchise’s head-coaching job last spring and was impressed with him.
Charlotte officials flew to the Bay Area to meet with Malone on Tuesday. Malone is a coveted candidate who will likely be on the short list of most coaching openings this spring. He was the runner-up for the Warriors' job that went to Mark Jackson last year. The Warriors then made Malone the league's highest-paid assistant at $750,000 a year, hiring him to lead Jackson's staff.
Charlotte has to sell candidates like Malone and McMillan that Jordan is willing to make the financial commitment to build a winning organization. Charlotte will have to commit money to coaching salaries, as well as sell a plan to stock the franchise with talent.
Most of the better candidates will want to wait until the May 30 draft lottery to see if Charlotte will win the No. 1 overall pick to take Kentucky center Anthony Davis. The Bobcats parted ways with coach Paul Silas after a season that saw them finish with the lowest winning percentage (.106) in NBA history.

That bold statement bothers me. That's like saying "We want to continue our epic level of suck by hiring someone who has no clue what they're doing."
Old 05-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--bo...ke-malone.html

That bold statement bothers me. That's like saying "We want to continue our epic level of suck by hiring someone who has no clue what they're doing."

Yup.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

Id be all for Michael Malone or Brian Shaw if we were going to hire someone without head coaching experience.

I will flip out if we hire Patrick Ewing.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
Id be all for Michael Malone or Brian Shaw if we were going to hire someone without head coaching experience.

I will flip out if we hire Patrick Ewing.

What if he convinces Dwight Howard to come with him?
Old 05-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #10
liverpooty
Local High School Star

liverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected posterliverpooty is a pretty well-respected poster

They have a good relationship, but I dont think its good enough to get him to come to Charlotte. Howard could be Ewings own son, and I still dont think Howard would come to this team right now.
liverpooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #11
onewickedlady
Not your average OWL

onewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputationonewickedlady has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by liverpooty
They have a good relationship, but I dont think its good enough to get him to come to Charlotte. Howard could be Ewings own son, and I still dont think Howard would come to this team right now.

Could/would Dwight Howard help the Bobcats like CP3 has helped the Clippers?
onewickedlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

No, because Chris Paul wanted to go to the big market. Pretty sure Howard would rather retire than play in Charlotte.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewickedlady
Could/would Dwight Howard help the Bobcats like CP3 has helped the Clippers?

A front court of Howard, Davis and Biyombo would be almost impossible to score against. It ain't gonna happen but it's fun to day dream about.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: